BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
Nbot
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default BES: When deleted from Outlook/exchange Inbox why isn't email removed from BB?

Please Login to Remove!

Is this b/c the exchange is only "forwarding" mail to the BB, not receiving communication in return? But then why can the BB delete an email from both the BB device and the exchange server (if that option is selected)?

I really need the BB to update the same as my inbox w/ my exchange server, I won't be a happy camper if it doesn't recognize emails that I have moved into subfolders or deleted from the outlook/exchange inbox like my old Treo did...Is there some setting(s) that I am missing? I get 150-200 emails a day, I need the BB to react to what my "real" inbox looks like.

Or is this just how BB's work?

Last edited by Nbot; 11-25-2008 at 12:13 AM..
Old 11-23-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Moved, more relevant forum.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #3
Nbot

Well hallelujah, either a BB tech saw my post and fixed some script in BES, or, I fixed the problem by changing the setting in options to "HIDE MESSAGED AFTER FILED", I think that's the only setting I changed, and I'm not sure if that fixed it or not, but its working like it should now...
Old 11-25-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
Nbot

Well, the problem is back, for some reason the server was pulling deleted emails off the "inbox" of the BB (like it should), but it stopped doing that today. Tomorrow the exchange server techs are going to try and duplicate the problem on a BB they have with them, hopefully they can find the problem, but I'm not sure if its related specifically to the STORM, if anyone has any tips please let me know...
Old 11-25-2008, 12:39 AM   #5
Nbot

I've found this, but not quite the answer I was looking for, why would I have to switch Outlook to non-cached mode??

BlackBerry Support Community Forums - Only oneway sync of deleted messages between 8830 and Outlook - BlackBerry 8800 Series Smartphone - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
Old 11-25-2008, 05:07 AM   #6
skyman84
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: ask!
Carrier: O2 UK

Have you got your BB set so that the handset or the mailbox wins?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
Nbot

I've got it set so that the Mailbox wins (also, delete on both mailbox and handheld, and wireless sync on).
Old 11-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

What is your workflow with your Outlook client? Do you exit it deleting your deleted? Blackberry needs to track where the email went so if it can't locate the deleted message you get "orphans" on the BB.

Do this test:

Send yourself two emails. One labeled Delete - Outlook and other Delete - BB. Wait for delivery in both places and delete the Delete - Outlook message from Outlook and then on the blackberry force the sync using Messages / Options / Reconcile Now.

The message should delete off the BB. Do the same on the BB with Delete - BB. If both messages move to your deleted folder in Outlook it is working. You could even go a step further and Deleted your Deleted via Messages / Options / Email Reconcilation / Menu / Purge Deleted.

Some notes:

The wireless sync BB -> Outlook should be fairly quick. Outlook -> BB can take up to 20 mins (thus I throughout the day I force it with Reconcile Now)

BES also has a setting to track deleted items (hard deletes) which based on your email volume should be bumped up. Note it does cause extra load on your BES so I'm not sure on your environment.

For power users I recommend turning off the option to delete your deleted in Outlook on Exit as it interferes if you want the BB to work like your expecting.

Tools / Options / Other
Old 11-26-2008, 12:18 AM   #9
Nbot

jletendre some good tips to look through, thanks much. I'll try the 2 email trick. I currently do not "delete upon exit" with Outlook. My workload is a minimum of 150--250 emails a day. We use Intermedia – Exchange hosting business email service and Web hosting from Intermedia for exchange hosting and BES hosting. They are trying to help me resolve this. Today, we deleted the .ost files from my pc & laptop, and recreated the .ost(s) (thinking was that the .ost's had become corrupted). After this, the BB still wasn't working right it seemed, I turned off wireless reconciliation for an hour or so, turned it back on and perhaps a combination of the .ost rebuild and letting the BB "reset" without wireless reconcile on, worked. Oddly enough, the BB is performing close to what it "should" for the last one to two hours, I have my fingers crossed but we will see tomorrow when heavy traffic happens again if this fixed it or not. There was *ONE* email in the last 2 hours, that I deleted from the Outlook Inbox (and yes the delete gets removed from the web/OWA outlook interface), that didn't get deleted from the BB for what seemed 1/2 hour, even after a "Reconcile Now", which really irks me, as other emails I had received after that one and deleted from outlook PC were removed from the BB...so, we will see.

You must be right about the 20 minute delay from outlook>>BB b/c I would have to "reconcile now" to remove the ones from BB that I had already deleted tonight which I can live with, I am assuming now that if I had left them there they would have gone away soon enough then.

What is odd, is that this morning, before I rebuilt the .ost's, I put Outlook into non-cached mode, like the previous link suggested, and the BB immediately starting working like it should, however, I simply cannot deal with the delay's in Outlook in non-cached mode, 30-40 seconds to attach a file etc...

If the problem persists tomorrow I will chase up the deleted test, and/or ask BES host to bump up "track deleted items" setting.

Lastly, I should note I'm on the new Storm, I started this thread in the Storm section but it was moved here by the mod.
Closed Thread