BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
kengo

Model: 9700
Carrier: Singtel
Default Dreaded SMS Wist List

Please Login to Remove!

Threaded SMS is nice, but the new SMS application needs some fixing. It feels like it was written by a non-blackberry-user (and perhaps FOR non-blackberry-users). Please comment if any of these are fixed in later releases. I’m using v.321.

1. Alt-del functionality missing. While composing an SMS, the alt-del key erases the entire composition, not merely the characters immediately to the right of the cursor. You can only use the “backspace” del key by itself inside the SMS application. Might be fixed in v.415 or v.421?

2. 3 lines of text. While composing an SMS, you can only see 3 lines of text. In the old app, you can essentially use the whole screen. One line of text is about 23 characters, so 3 lines is about 70 characters, less than half the usual carrier limit to the number of characters for a single SMS. I would rather use my screen real estate for what I am typing, not to look at the rest of the thread. I see this on my PC-based IM apps as well, which is even sillier since those screens are huge and don't need a scroll bar.

3. Add to Contacts. While reading an SMS from a new person, the “Add to Contacts” menu item populates the phone number into the Work field, not the Mobile field. The previous SMS application usually got this right. Now I have to cut n paste every time.

4. View contact. There is no longer a “view contact” menu option while reading an SMS. I often want to jot down a note about a customer so I would “view contact,” “edit contact,” type a note in the note field and save it, then esc out to the SMS and continue with a reply. The workaround I use now is: while reading an SMS, choose “compose [fake] email” to the person, then view contact…

5. SMS is no longer like email. Ok, I know that is the whole point of the new Dreaded SMS application, but does it really matter if you are sending a short message as an SMS or an email? A message is a message. The two apps used to have the same layout and functionality. While the new SMS application got threading, it lost a lot of the navigation ease. For instance, composing an SMS to multiple recipients now requires extra steps and the names are essentially hidden on one line since there is no “to” field anymore.

6. Delete one, delete all. If you delete an SMS which was a response to an SMS that was originally sent to multiple recipients, it will often delete the thread for all responding recipients. …sometimes, not all the time, probably just a bug, or I'm confused.

7. No more R from the message list. When sitting on an SMS in your messages list, you can’t type R to reply to the SMS. You need to open the SMS and then reply. This should be easy to reinstall as a feature.

8. No “discard” changes. While composing an SMS, it is always autosaved; you can’t exit the composition and elect not to save the changes. I suppose this is a feature, but it takes some retraining.

That's enough for now. Is there a bug-fix list that comes with each new OS update?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

No, RIM does not release a change log for it's OS upgrades. The only "bug-fix list" would be one compiled by users like us who have discovered what may have changed.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

You need to upgrade to .423. The Alt-delete issue was addressed a while back in earlier releases even prior to .423. As for the rest of your issues, some are bugs in earlier releases that have also been addressed in .423, but you are in threaded SMS msgs now, just like the BB MSNGR client, so you need to deal with that, because it's likely here for good. "R" in the msg list isn't required, as when you press on the msg, you are in reply mode anyway...

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 01-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
lala~

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Maxis

yea hate the new sms style, pls bring back the option for old format (more typing space)
Old 01-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala~ View Post
yea hate the new sms style, pls bring back the option for old format (more typing space)
It won't happen. Users clamored too long for threaded SMS... now that it's here, RIM won't take it away.
Closed Thread