Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 05:59 AM   #1
sirgruffil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Delete BIS account and create new one

Please Login to Remove!

I am still on BIS 1.8 after two years, and would like to move to BIS 2.x. As my network (Vodafone) do not offer migration from earlier versions of BIS to newer ones, the only way I can do this is to have them delete my existing BIS account and then create a new one myself.

Does anyone know if this will cause problems setting up the handheld? And will I still be able to use my old user name - which forms the basis of my current BlackBerrry email address?

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Nope -- no problems. Your old user name should be available once the old BIS account is deleted. If not, your BIS user name and *.blackberry.net address don't have to be the same anyway...
Old 08-16-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgruffil View Post
I am still on BIS 1.8 after two years, and would like to move to BIS 2.x. As my network (Vodafone) do not offer migration from earlier versions of BIS to newer ones, the only way I can do this is to have them delete my existing BIS account and then create a new one myself.
That is not exactly true. They can migrate your account from BIS 1.8 to BIS 2.

You may not be able to, but their support personnel with access to your BIS account can.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
sirgruffil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
That is not exactly true. They can migrate your account from BIS 1.8 to BIS 2.

You may not be able to, but their support personnel with access to your BIS account can.
Theoretically I know that is the case, and how things are handled by many other carriers. However, Vodafone UK do not offer that service - basically, I get the impression that they would rather not bother. (They tried to convince me that 1.8 was 'better'.) Basically they can do it, but won't.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
Berry One

That is strange. Instead of just pushing the 'Migrate' button and moving your account to BIS 2 they would rather go through account deletion?

Here is the difference between these two approaches you should be aware of: if they migrate you, your old user name will be preserved. If they delete your account and create new- you might not be able to reclaim your old user name. Chances are slim but it did happen with the person I know.

So, if you really wish to keep your old user name- call customer support again, tell them look for migrate button. If you are OK with possibly changing user name and blackberry email address- let them delete your account.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
sirgruffil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
That is strange. Instead of just pushing the 'Migrate' button and moving your account to BIS 2 they would rather go through account deletion?

Here is the difference between these two approaches you should be aware of: if they migrate you, your old user name will be preserved. If they delete your account and create new- you might not be able to reclaim your old user name. Chances are slim but it did happen with the person I know.

So, if you really wish to keep your old user name- call customer support again, tell them look for migrate button. If you are OK with possibly changing user name and blackberry email address- let them delete your account.
They seemed adamant that migration wasn't possible, but I guess I can try asking again. I imagine you know how hard it can be to find someone in support who is willing or able to help.

Regarding the potential loss of user name - that doesn't bother me if I could still use my old [email address] address. Does 2.0 definitely allow you to set up a mobile email address different from your user name?

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
Berry One

It is not guaranteed you can keep your old email address if they delete and recreate your email account.
Don't risk it if you really want to keep it.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
sirgruffil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Well, having tried four times to find someone in Vodafone tech support who knew something about this, I finally hit lucky. I was put through to a guy who at least knew what the BIS was, and understood the differences between 1.8 and 2.x. I don't think he had migrated anyone before - at one point he was examining my account and said, "there's a 'migrate' button here, I suppose that must be it" - but he clicked the button and it worked flawlessly within moments. So I am now on BIS 2.4, and retain my old BB email address.

Phew...
Closed Thread