Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
turnercondovan

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default PlayBook Turn on/charging

Please Login to Remove!

I am on my second PlayBook. The first one never did turn on. I have had the thing plugged into the wall and my computer to charge. I don't think it is charging but don't really know. I have tried to reset it a bunch of times but nothing happens. it won't turn on and I don't think it charges at all. It is just dead. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
SBurhani
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Re: PlayBook Turn on/charging

I am not sure how 2 PB's could have that same problem...

Just to troubleshoot, have you tried changing plugs? Changing chargers? Are you possibly plugging in to the HDMI instead of the micro USB port?

The playbook ships with a partial charge so it should turn on regardless at start. Just some ideas...
Old 08-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
turnercondovan

Thanks for the post. Yeah I tried different plugs in the wall and different chargers. I also did the USB charge on the computer. Nada. I am not in the HDMI port. I thought I was but am not. I cannot get the thing to charge nor turn on. It should not happen twice. Sometimes I think these guys are like Microsoft. They get it right....the third time.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

How long did you leave it plugged in to charge? Usually it will turn on while plugged in after it charges a little. Initially the PlayBooks would not charge while the device was turned off, but that was resolved in one of the OS updates.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
turnercondovan

I left it plugged in to various things for 2 days. a day with a wall plug. a day with the USB plug on my computer.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
CFJSS
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9860
Carrier: Telus

This may sound silly but did you check that the wall plug has power
some outlets use the wall switch to turn a lamp on and off
Don't ask how i know this

Old 08-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
turnercondovan

good thought!! I checked that one too. I went to where I bought it (Best Buy) and they told me that they take back a bunch of these things. flakey. I think it is just broken and that the male end of the charger thing does not fit properly in the female part of the PlayBook. I cannot think of what else it could be. but this is the second one I have owned with problems
Old 01-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
allisterbradley

Model: 9800
Carrier: rogers

I wanted to drop a quick note here, about using the Playbook charger to charge your phone. I've seen a few notes in which people are commenting about how fast they can charge their phone with a Playbook charger.

DO NOT charge your phone with your Playbook charger. Yes, it will charge the battery, and very quickly, but it will dramatically reduce the battery life of your phone.

This comes directly from user experience at RIM. I'd hate to read forum postings from users complaining about poor battery life on their smartphones, when they're using non-compatible chargers...
Old 01-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisterbradley View Post
I wanted to drop a quick note here, about using the Playbook charger to charge your phone. I've seen a few notes in which people are commenting about how fast they can charge their phone with a Playbook charger.

DO NOT charge your phone with your Playbook charger. Yes, it will charge the battery, and very quickly, but it will dramatically reduce the battery life of your phone.

This comes directly from user experience at RIM. I'd hate to read forum postings from users complaining about poor battery life on their smartphones, when they're using non-compatible chargers...
That is not what RIM has published.

And I've bee doing it all along with no ill effects.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 01-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisterbradley View Post

Since you decided to post this in two different forums I would love to know where you got this information.

Please post a link as I have used it to charge the BB 9330 (and an 8330 prior) with no ill effect evident.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

And you will find this noted in RIM's own BlackBerry store:

"...It’s designed to work with your BlackBerry® smartphone—charging twice as fast as standard BlackBerry chargers..."
Closed Thread