Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
mac429

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default AT&T Warranty Issues

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I'm pretty frustrated with AT&T and their inability to even justify their crazy policies. I called last Friday about a problem I'm having with my Bold where the side button will only register once out of every five times I press it. Not a big deal but annoying none the less. I didn't buy this phone directly from AT&T (actually I bought it from someone on the BBF BST forum) but it is an AT&T branded phone with AT&T IMEI etc. I figured that since the Bold hasn't even been out for a year, it would be no problem having the phone exchanged under warranty even if they couldn't verify my purchase date. Well, I was very wrong.

After explaining my issue to the rep (who was nice and polite) she walked me through the usual "take out the battery" and "reboot the phone" scripts. I did all that and she eventually said that it sounded like a hardware issue (yep) and had me look at the moisture sensors. Both bright white so no problem there. Then she asked me if I had first activated the phone on my account last November as a replacement for my curve (yep) and then she asked me where I bought it. It may have been my biggest mistake but I told her where I got it. From there things just went South. Ok, well "since you didn't buy it directly from us I'll have to talk to a supervisor." Huh, it's an AT&T phone, sold by AT&T to someone, and it's less than a year old. She finally came back and said she was sorry but since they couldn't verify how/when the original phone was sold that I was essentially SOL. I told her that the phone hadn't even been sold for year (first went on sale on Black Friday) and that no matter who purchased it, it was still within the 1 yr warranty. She said that no they had to verify how the original person received it because if it was received as a replacement upgrade then the warranty could have already expired. This just sounded like BS. Anyway, this phone is one of theirs. Why can't they just look it up and figure it out. It was just a frustrating exchange of words that made no sense. Their explanation made no sense and the whole process was typical AT&T bs.

Can anyone familiar with AT&T's policy please tell me if this is just bs on their part. I don't understand how they can refuse to replace a phone that is clearly within warranty. They're just pissed that I didn't pay the extra 150 it would have cost me to purchase it in their store. They're essentially just trying to punish their customers they don't have the opportunity to gouge. it's ridiculous and I'm really getting sick and tired of it. I pay 150/month for my personal plan (1iphone + 1 bb) and I'm seriously considering going back to tmobile. Their coverage may not be the best, but I never had a problem with t-mobile's customer service. When they couldn't do something they explained it and it make sense. I'm not one to take advantage of companies but I also don't want to be with one that takes advantage of me. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
ftl900
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000

Replacement phones are often a refurb, and it does not carry a full one year warranty. I think it's 90 days, but I'm not sure on that.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
mac429

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftl900 View Post
Replacement phones are often a refurb, and it does not carry a full one year warranty. I think it's 90 days, but I'm not sure on that.
I've received replacements before and replacement phones carry whatever warranty you had left on the original phone. Given that even if this were a replacement phone of another Bold (which they should know in their system) it is still under a year. The whole excuse they gave me was just very unclear and that's probably what I'm most pissed off about. It sounded like they were making it up as they went along just because I told them I didn't buy it directly from them.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
kf0s

Model: 9000

Call back and try again. Maybe they won't ask the question. I just replaced my son's Bold last week and they never asked where it was purchased (it was on-line though AT&T so maybe that's in the profile somewhere).

My complaint was that I had worked to get his first phone unlocked. Of course, the replacement is now locked, and they want me to go through all the hassle again. Maybe making later call on that myself.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

They warranty exists between att and the original purchaser. You bought it 2nd hand as a used device there is no accounting for what may have happened to the phone prior to your ownership!
The warranty is not transferrable. You have no warranty with att.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:56 AM   #6
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

In addition to what EZ said, they have no way of verifying that it was even bought from AT&T. It is always possible that the phone was part of the initial testing that could mean the phone is WELL over a year old if not more like 2 or more. What you are expecting is unreasonable and is what happens when you buy something used instead of new with a valid warranty.

The below is a paste from the AT&T website and as you can see in the recieved from column that new phones are only covered when received from an "AT&T Channel" which obviously precludes 3rd party used sales.

Type of Device - Received From - Eligibility Period
New -Authorized AT&T Channel - 31 to 365 days from purchase date
Refurbished -Authorized AT&T Channel - 31 to 90 days from purchase date
Replacement - Previous warranty claim - 90 days from replacement date or the remainder of original warranty period (whichever is longer)
Replacement - Previous insurance claim - 31 to 365 days from replacement date

Last edited by barbwyr; 08-25-2009 at 01:04 AM..
Old 08-26-2009, 05:23 AM   #7
SueWNY

Model: Tour
PIN: Ask!
Carrier: Sprint

Sorry but they are correct. You have no warranty with them because the warranty exists only between AT&T and the original purchaser and is not transferable.
Closed Thread