Old 10-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default ZD Net Storm 2 Review

Please Login to Remove!

ZD Net has published their review of the Storm 2.

With BlackBerry Storm2, RIM wins the battle but loses the smartphone war [review] | The Toybox | ZDNet.com

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 10-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

the reviewer didn't have experience with the original storm, so his review seems focused on how the storm 2 compares to other touch-screens, which is a good thing i think, because it's an article that can get RIM's gears moving again towards something better....

the guy also sounds like he's used to bb's, his points sound valid.

i like my storm, but feel in the same way as this guy does, that the OS needs a redo to something completely new. regarding touch feedback, i'd say that if the mechanism was quicker and required a little less pressure to activate, then that would be more ideal (for me at least) than a simple touch interface like the iphone's.

in addition, i had a chance to stop by a verizon store and play with the 9550. it didn't really feel like anything special, styling was a bit nice, but nothing about the device (except for wi-fi) would justify dropping my 9530 to get it.

Last edited by zero7404; 10-28-2009 at 03:11 PM..
Old 10-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I think that guy is an idiot, regarding his statements on the clickpress screen. He's basically saying it's a step between a physical KB and an iPhone KB. That's ridiculous. It's a step from a physical KB PAST the iPhone KB. Having the clickpress gives the touchscreen a richer interface to the user. That guy's opinion is like saying that a 1-button mouse is superior to a 2-button mouse.

In case you can't tell, I LIKE that I can touch the screen and confirm that I'm about to invoke the intended action before I actually invoke it.
Verizon 9550
Old 10-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I think that guy is an idiot, regarding his statements on the clickpress screen. He's basically saying it's a step between a physical KB and an iPhone KB. That's ridiculous. It's a step from a physical KB PAST the iPhone KB. Having the clickpress gives the touchscreen a richer interface to the user. That guy's opinion is like saying that a 1-button mouse is superior to a 2-button mouse.

In case you can't tell, I LIKE that I can touch the screen and confirm that I'm about to invoke the intended action before I actually invoke it.
yeah its a neat feature, but it does add time to the overall task. if ur on a physical qwerty, then the button is physically there and u can just press it. but with the storm and storm 2, nothing has changed, u put ur finger on it then press down, so it's still a 2-step process.....

i suggested an idea a while back but i doubt RIM or anyone else is listening....
putting your finger over a button/key on the screen registers a slight buzz on the screen at that location. kind of like Alpine's car audio touch screens. it's a one step process because you just touch and it's done, no need to press in.

either way, whether it's rim or apple or samsung or motorola or htc i guess one day there will come a single 'best' design that gets adopted.

suffice it to say, i think glass screens need to be phased out in favor of plastic/flexible membranes in order to advance touch screen technology.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
spade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
yeah its a neat feature, but it does add time to the overall task. if ur on a physical qwerty, then the button is physically there and u can just press it. but with the storm and storm 2, nothing has changed, u put ur finger on it then press down, so it's still a 2-step process.....

i suggested an idea a while back but i doubt RIM or anyone else is listening....
putting your finger over a button/key on the screen registers a slight buzz on the screen at that location. kind of like Alpine's car audio touch screens. it's a one step process because you just touch and it's done, no need to press in.

either way, whether it's rim or apple or samsung or motorola or htc i guess one day there will come a single 'best' design that gets adopted.

suffice it to say, i think glass screens need to be phased out in favor of plastic/flexible membranes in order to advance touch screen technology.
that would be the pulse touch that alpine has......
Old 10-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade View Post
that would be the pulse touch that alpine has......
yes it would be. and i think it would be great to have something like this for touchscreen smartphones.....

i am not sure, is the storm 2 a glass screen, or plastic ?
Old 10-29-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
alphasports

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers (CAN) / A1 (AUT) / Swisscom (SUI) / T-Mobile (USA)

Quite badly written, the guy seems to be trying too hard to sound like an expert. My .02
Old 10-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
StuartV

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
I do not understand how you can say this. On a physical KB, you also have to touch the button, then press down. It's exactly the same as the Storm.

EXCEPT, on the physical KB, when you click the key, your figure has to actually move down and back. In contrast, on the Storm2, you apply a small amount of pressure (less than a physical KB), AND your finger doesn't physically move at all.

So, compared to a physical KB, the Storm2 requires less pressure AND less physical movement of the fingers. How can you possibly say that it would automatically be slower.
Verizon 9550
Old 10-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
StuartV

Oh, AND, if you use the Storm in Landscape mode, the keys on the QWERTY keyboard are bigger than on any of the BB physical keyboards, making it even EASIER to type.
Verizon 9550
Old 10-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Oh, AND, if you use the Storm in Landscape mode, the keys on the QWERTY keyboard are bigger than on any of the BB physical keyboards, making it even EASIER to type.
yeah i know.

again, when it's not a physical key...you have to visually confirm you're picking the right key. if you type alot on your pc, you probably don't even look at your keyboard, right ?

i'm a storm owner and i like the phone overall, but it and the storm 2 and most other touchscreens on the market aren't quite there yet when it comes to perfection of the technology. because with no haptic feedback, you now have to use your sight as well to pinpoint the correct key to press....whereas on a physical keyboard those used to typing do not even look at the keys.

not so with a touch screen
Old 10-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
spade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: T-Mobile

^ i agree... on my curve or 8900 i barely looked at the keyboard... sometimes when i was driving(i know baad) id be texting with out looking at the letters i be pressing and 90% of the time i was spelling everything ok......
Old 10-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #12
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade View Post
... sometimes when i was driving(i know baad) id be texting......
not cool man.....a text or a call can wait till you get to a traffic light or stop somewhere