Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Deedubau
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-moible
Default I love my pearl, but just got the helio ocean; here's a comparison

Please Login to Remove!

I actually used to be a sidekick 2 user and loved every bit of it and upgraded to the 3 almost right away when it came out. It was a great phone at the time but the internet sucked and the screen resolution was horribly outdated to even the most basic phones on the market. So I got the pearl and loved every bit of it, especially the internet to look up information. It was missing 2 things that made me finally get the ocean today, video recording and good video streaming.

Video recording is just plain cool to have and record when your seeing cool things or around with friends. And while the pearl can videostream, edge is way too slow for that and it's not really worth it. The ocean can do it really well and it's just amazing watching new videos anywhere!

I don't know if I want to keep my ocean yet because i've only had it for a few hours and i'm still learning about it. It's already locked up on me a few times when I was browsing the internet but it's not as near annoying when the pearl did it because it took longer to start up. I'm not sure if the ocean will get OTA updates unlike the pearl which is a bummer.

There's a few things I don't like about the ocean vs the pearl; It doesn't autosave your webpage when you exit the webrowsing mode which will probably get annoying over time. I don't want to have to save a bookmark everytime I do this. Another thing is that it takes a few of clicks to get to what you want which is annoying compared to the pearl. But i'm still learning so this may be a non issue. Finally I like how there was tons of new hidden cool things to learn about the pearl because it's packed with so much content and the tons of apps you can download for it. I don't think the helio has any hidden features but that's ok.

This is what the sidekick 3 should have been and the helio ocean destroys it. I'm still thinking about keeping my sidekick and t-mobile data plan and pay just 30 a month w/o internet and text instead of the 200 dollar cancellation fee. The helio plan is definately cheaper and for the same price I get 200 extra minutes and unlimited text. The data isn't really unlimited though, it's up to 159 mb or you can get terminated for excessive use but i need to look into that. Youtube will eat that up and the most i've used on the pearl w/o streaming is 132mb but I think i was excessively using it that month.

I'm definately going to miss the 1 handed suretype but t9 text isn't that bad (but doesn't learn on the ocean) and the qwerty is nice unless I have to eat (i surfed and ate a lot with the pearl) I'm also going to miss the trackball because it was very nice to scroll through tabs

So far I like the ocean a lot (thankfully since it cost me 300 dollars) but not sure if I prefer it over the blackberry. I used to think the ocean was big and clunky until I finally had it in my hands to day and it's not bad at all, it's a couple of inches thicker than the pearl and definitely not a brick like the sidekicks. This may be the ultimate companion phone for me which is great. If you have any questions I'll try to answer them!
Old 08-20-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I have always waited a few weeks or a month to really evaluate a device.... the 1st few hours with a new toy is generally pure lust....

Kris
Old 08-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
Deedubau

Yeah i have 30 days to see and I can return it if I don't like it. I'm not even binded to the contract yet. At least most of the features on it are things I will definately use a lot and not just gimmicks
Old 08-20-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Kewl! Keep us posted on the status of lust -v- usability
Old 08-21-2007, 12:17 AM   #5
NEWBIE BERRY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T MO

I actually was about to get the ocean a few months ago but then I came across the pearl and got it instead. The reason I chose the pearl is because it allows you to download 3rd party programs and I believe the ocean doesn't. And I heard that the ocean's browser isn't really good and you can't download opera mini. I didn't know the ocean can stream flash media? Are the youtube videos just like on a pc?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:41 AM   #6
cenner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 23E57F7C
Carrier: T-Mobile

Was at the mall yesterday and the Helio's stand was crowded. Didn't know why. =)

I'm sticking my with faithful BBerry though, can't wait til T-Mo gets the curve!

:: Black BlackBerry Pearl on T-Mobile w/ 1GB MicroSD ::
:: BSE Skin - Version 4.2.1.66 BIS ::
Old 08-21-2007, 01:50 AM   #7
TheGreggers

PIN: 24708EAC

I may just be another one of those faithful users... and a hater too...

But Helio is just hype.

I wont even glance in the direction of one.

Some interesting features they are coming out with to make their way into the market... But.. bleh.

This post really had no point, just ranting :D
Old 08-21-2007, 01:55 AM   #8
TheGreggers

I don't know if I could stand the dual sliding... I'd appreciate a good update on how it works for you after a couple of days.

The MySpace Mobile application is actually more annoying than useful.. and terribly slow.
I prefer my Opera Mini to anything for display quality and speed.

3G would be nice.. but T-Mobile will see it's share of that shortly anyways. I can wait :p

Other than those.. all I see is basics features.

(Sorry, had to redeem my post with a legitimate feature discussion)
Old 08-21-2007, 08:55 AM   #9
christine2925

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedubau View Post
I actually used to be a sidekick 2 user and loved every bit of it and upgraded to the 3 almost right away when it came out. It was a great phone at the time but the internet sucked and the screen resolution was horribly outdated to even the most basic phones on the market. So I got the pearl and loved every bit of it, especially the internet to look up information. It was missing 2 things that made me finally get the ocean today, video recording and good video streaming.

Video recording is just plain cool to have and record when your seeing cool things or around with friends. And while the pearl can videostream, edge is way too slow for that and it's not really worth it. The ocean can do it really well and it's just amazing watching new videos anywhere!

I don't know if I want to keep my ocean yet because i've only had it for a few hours and i'm still learning about it. It's already locked up on me a few times when I was browsing the internet but it's not as near annoying when the pearl did it because it took longer to start up. I'm not sure if the ocean will get OTA updates unlike the pearl which is a bummer.

There's a few things I don't like about the ocean vs the pearl; It doesn't autosave your webpage when you exit the webrowsing mode which will probably get annoying over time. I don't want to have to save a bookmark everytime I do this. Another thing is that it takes a few of clicks to get to what you want which is annoying compared to the pearl. But i'm still learning so this may be a non issue. Finally I like how there was tons of new hidden cool things to learn about the pearl because it's packed with so much content and the tons of apps you can download for it. I don't think the helio has any hidden features but that's ok.

This is what the sidekick 3 should have been and the helio ocean destroys it. I'm still thinking about keeping my sidekick and t-mobile data plan and pay just 30 a month w/o internet and text instead of the 200 dollar cancellation fee. The helio plan is definately cheaper and for the same price I get 200 extra minutes and unlimited text. The data isn't really unlimited though, it's up to 159 mb or you can get terminated for excessive use but i need to look into that. Youtube will eat that up and the most i've used on the pearl w/o streaming is 132mb but I think i was excessively using it that month.

I'm definately going to miss the 1 handed suretype but t9 text isn't that bad (but doesn't learn on the ocean) and the qwerty is nice unless I have to eat (i surfed and ate a lot with the pearl) I'm also going to miss the trackball because it was very nice to scroll through tabs

So far I like the ocean a lot (thankfully since it cost me 300 dollars) but not sure if I prefer it over the blackberry. I used to think the ocean was big and clunky until I finally had it in my hands to day and it's not bad at all, it's a couple of inches thicker than the pearl and definitely not a brick like the sidekicks. This may be the ultimate companion phone for me which is great. If you have any questions I'll try to answer them!

How is the coverage with Helio? My hubby wants to switch outta verizon and we were thinking about getting him the ocean...
Old 08-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

I'll not look at another phone, especially in a Pearl forum.

I'm staying faithful, especially since the Pearl fits all my needs and desires. I'm actually still happy with it, even almost one year after the Pearl debuted.

Will not cheat on her, even if you post pics of whatever you called that new fangled cocotte.

I'm patiently waiting for the Pearl 2, the only phone that will move my Pearl to a shelf as an emergency back-up phone.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
Deedubau

I'm not a huge fan of myspace, but it works really well with the helio devices. Helio only streams youtube videos encoded in h264 b/c flash media would kill the battery. Only a tiny portion of youtube videos are there, but it's still cool to check out. The blackberry is much more flexible with the 3rd party apps which helio doesn't seem to officially support. That's not a huge issue for me though because every time I bought an app for the pearl, it to replace or enhance functions the pearl already has like paying text msg rates for aim or getting a better media player

The web browsing on the helio to me seems as fast as the pearl browser and the speed is only noticeably better when loading video

I can already tell that the pearl is better for direct access but i'm a heavy mutlimedia phone user so I won't mind pressing more buttons for more functionality
Old 08-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #12
djxedxd

Model: 9530
PIN: bic,no ball point,wait its blue
Carrier: Verizon

wow thats a pretty cool phone ...... WAITS........

Hmm nuthing heh it always worked in the commercial .. Weird!
Old 08-21-2007, 01:33 PM   #13
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T

I think those phones look hot! But so does the Iphone.
who cares what it does? It's all about accessorizing!!

Rolo
Old 08-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #14
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

I dont think its fair to compare the Pearl to a Helio. From what i can tell Helios are all about entainment. Meanwhile the Pearl is first a business phone and then an entertainment phone. I say this because if you copy a number into the address bokk it automatically thinks that it is a work/company number. Every phone is going to be really good at some things and bad at others. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:58 PM   #15
Deedubau

Helio is definately an entertainment phone. Their plans are great prices imo b/c they have a great selection of games that work well on the phone (unlike the pearl imo) and since they are cheap people are always buying games for them.

As for the pearl, I think that's more of a consumer phone than a business phone which is what rim wanted. I don't know what most people have the pearl for, but I got it because of the form factor and functionality, but not for business.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #16
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedubau View Post
Helio is definately an entertainment phone. Their plans are great prices imo b/c they have a great selection of games that work well on the phone (unlike the pearl imo) and since they are cheap people are always buying games for them.

As for the pearl, I think that's more of a consumer phone than a business phone which is what rim wanted. I don't know what most people have the pearl for, but I got it because of the form factor and functionality, but not for business.
Ya its def not a typical BB. But i think the days of business only BB's are now numbered.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:11 PM   #17
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonbomb1987 View Post
i think the days of business only BB's are now numbered.
IMHO not so.

While the Pearl is RIM's move into the 190 million U. S. cell phone consumer market, its core business from 1999 to now, and for long in the future, is its BlackBerry business and government accounts.

The business and government accounts do NOT want Pearl type multi-media phones. That's why RIM continues to make "business only" cell phones.

I don't see the days of "business only BlackBerries" ever being numbered, even if sales of consumer-oriented RIM phones out sell the business only models.

If RIM ever abandoned the business and government core, they would sell it for a nice chunk of change to someone who would continue to sell business-only models to those accounts. 10 million and growing BlackBerry accounts, while small in comparison to the overall cell phone market, is still a nice chunk of business [phones and BlackBerry service].

Observation: I am surprised to see the Pearl popping up in the movies and TV shows so often [e.g., in HBO's Entourage most stars can be seen using the Pearl]. In contrast, I still don't know what the Helio looks like. Guess I'll use Google to see what it is. Not that I'm interested in it, just want to see what it is. I'll turn my Pearl face down so she can't see what I am doing.

Oh, I remember that phone. Didn't it come out about two months ago? I remember thinking at the time it was like a Sidekick, no insult intended.

End transmission.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 08-23-2007 at 04:41 PM..
Old 08-21-2007, 10:39 PM   #18
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco View Post
IMHO not so.

While the Pearl is RIM's move into the 190 million U. S. cell phone consumer market, it's core buiness in 1999 to now, and for long in the future, is it's BlackBerry business and government accounts.

The business and governement accounts do NOT want Pearl type multi-media phones. That's why RIM continues to make "business only" cell phones.

I don't see the days of "business only BlackBerries" ever being numbered, even if sales of consumer-oriented RIM phones outpace the business only models.

If RIM ever abandoned the business and governement core, they would sell it for a nice chunk of change to someone who would continue to sell business-only models to those accounts. 10 million and growing BlackBerry accounts, while small in comparison to the overall cell phone market, is still a nice chunk of business [phones and BlackBerry service].

Observation: I am surprised to see the Pearl popping up in the movies and TV shows so often [e.g., in HBO's Entourage most stars can be seen using the Pearl]. In contrast, I still don't know that the Helio looks like. Guess I'll use Google to see what it is. Not that I'm interested in it, just want to see what it is. I'll turn my Pearl face down so she can't see what I am doing.

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/aniupdate.gif Oh, I remember that phone. Didn't it come out about two months ago? I remember thinking at the time it was like a Sidekick, no insult intended.

End transmission.
The Pearl is also in the American Express small business commercial. The dogs picture is taken with one. Just a side note.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #19
TheGreggers

Blackberries are, in today's society, a status symbol.

Somone seen using the Pearl, receiving emails and making phone calls, is
immediately thought to be professional, or very intuitive about their devices.

Someone who picks up a Pearl because it's a Pearl is someone that is a part of the Helio crowd.

Someone who picks up a Pearl (or any Blackberry for that matter) for the known options and features, and CAPABILITIES is just someone who's plain smart.

Push email services.
Full internet capabilities.
Advanced security options.
Phone capacity for storing their emails (I've pushed my emails/text messages into the the 8000's on the phone),
The third party application world.
And this is only just a start.. if you get into the minor details of the features on the phone... it's just.. amazing.
The ability to have the last sent/received messages back 1..2.. 25 whatever messages while you are replying.
The smart holstering action that changes profile options while entering/leaving the pouch, turning off the backlight, locking the keys, auto-open text/emails on pulling it out as well..

There's just too many!

And that is why I will just never leave the BlackBerry.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:59 AM   #20
Deedubau

If your happy with your blackberry don't ever leave it! I still want to keep the helio because it's just a better and nicer phone for surfing and streaming multimedia. I believe the blackberries are more reliable for calling but i'm still going to give helio a chance
Closed Thread