BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
rguard

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default Do it yourself Pearl holster mod ;)

Please Login to Remove!

So I have always used clip style "holsters" for my cell phones.
Problem is Blackberry does not make one for the Pearl.
So I found a knockoff brand for like $10 but it does not put the Pearl to "sleep" when you holster it.
Well after a little searching around here I found that it is nothing more than a ordinary magnet that is used to put them to "sleep".
So a little engineering and I think I have a pretty slick solution.
Here is what you will need:
A $10 Blackberry "compatible" holster available at your favorite mall kiosk ;)
A $2.99 pack of Promag button magnets (available at Michaels or your favorite hobby store), a drill with 7/32 bit and some electrical tape.

First take the drill and try and drill out just the center of the rear cutout.

Now slip the magnet in (it will be a snug fit but this is good) and make sure it is flush and does not effect the blackberry sliding in the holster, adjust as necessary.

Now snap the blackberry in and it should "sleep".

Next get some electrical tape and tape the magnet in place.

Voila, a holster that sleeps the Blackberry just like the $50 holster Blackberry will make sometime next year :p

Well I hope this helped a few of you who have wanted a clip style holster but wanted the blackberry sleep feature

Enjoy,
RGUARD
Old 08-19-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Nice write up and pics but what about just buying this:

RUBBERIZED SPRING CLIP SWIVEL HOLSTER FOR UN-SKINNED 8100 - HLBB8100AS
Old 08-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
b_d0za
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mobile

Looks like he's saving 15 bucks if he already had the drill and drill bit.

That's half price.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Plus the magnets.

Either way, just a suggestion.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
shawnc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: cingular

I like the fact that the homemade version has the Pearl facing out. No functional reason, just looks better and I'm shallow and superficial like that.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

rguard, I love it -- crafty and created very good. Much better than much of the crap I see around.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
penk

Model: 9700
Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
rguard, I love it -- crafty and created very good. Much better than much of the crap I see around.
gotta follow suit with this one. i won't be performing this DIY, but it looks good and i would consider doing it if i wasn't so happy just cramming my 'berry in my pocket.

good job and awesome detail on your photo guide!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
rguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnc View Post
I like the fact that the homemade version has the Pearl facing out. No functional reason, just looks better and I'm shallow and superficial like that.
Actually, the first few days I had this thing I was putting it in the clip backwards (facing in) and then realized it was designed to be facing out. Facing out is actually pretty handy as you can glance down and see who is calling without unholstering ;)

Thanks for the good words,
RGUARD
Old 08-19-2007, 09:24 PM   #9
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by rguard View Post
Actually, the first few days I had this thing I was putting it in the clip backwards (facing in) and then realized it was designed to be facing out. Facing out is actually pretty handy as you can glance down and see who is calling without unholstering ;)

Thanks for the good words,
RGUARD
Facing out??? YIKES!!!!!! That's dangerous and just waiting for the screen to get a scratch, another scratch, and yet another scratch.... BUT.... To each their own....
Old 08-19-2007, 09:32 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I would worry about catching the chrome ring on something and popping it off and losing the trackball.

Recommendation? face the device inward. But as Lunk said, to each their own.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #11
rguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Facing out??? YIKES!!!!!! That's dangerous and just waiting for the screen to get a scratch, another scratch, and yet another scratch.... BUT.... To each their own....
I thought the same thing at first and was paranoid for like a week, but now I don't even think about it and (knocking on wood) no scratches *yet*.
I guess I just don't hit the side of my body agianst stuff too often (might be my fat gut sticking out there to protect it too :p)
Anyhow, I like the convienence of being able to glance down and see incoming callers more than I fear the scratches,
And this rig does work the other way round so if I think I might be bumping into stuff I can just flip the phone over and use it facing in.... ;)

RGUARD
Old 08-20-2007, 04:55 AM   #12
Lowrider

Carrier: CBW

Hell, i've been using my pearl like that for 2 months, no problem yet. My holster looks like the one above w/o the slot at the bottom...I had 2 drill a bigger hole.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:04 PM   #13
shogan8503

Carrier: t-mo

Why are you drilling holes? A little super glue goes along way and makes it look much cleaner. Used my holster with that mod for 7 months and never had a problem with it falling off or anything. Then i upgraded to the Seidio holster because i hated having my phone screen face out.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #14
rguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogan8503 View Post
Why are you drilling holes? A little super glue goes along way and makes it look much cleaner. Used my holster with that mod for 7 months and never had a problem with it falling off or anything. Then i upgraded to the Seidio holster because i hated having my phone screen face out.
If you drill it, the magnet is almost flush on both sides and makes for an nearly invisible mod ;)
Either way works...

My $.02
RGUARD
Old 08-20-2007, 04:34 PM   #15
vporter
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Apple
PIN: I'll show you mine if you show me yours
Carrier: AT&T... Cingular... Definitely AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Well done, I'll be attempting this tonight!
Old 08-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #16
shawnc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
I've had mine facing out since I purchased it. Seems a bit overprotective to me to try to completely protect the Pearl from abuse when the price is to cover up the very thing that makes it slick. I want to show mine off. But as you say, to each his own.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:05 AM   #17
sahellis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: Hole
Carrier: The New AT&T

That's the same holster I have. It cost me 3.99 and scratched the living daylights out my phone. So if you don't like scratches don't buy it. To me, scratches give character. Mine is well used and abused, but that's OK because soon my job is buying me a Curve to wreck.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:58 AM   #18
cenner

PIN: 23E57F7C
Carrier: T-Mobile

Gonna go pick up some of those magnets and do a quick mod to my girlfriend's Pink Pearl Purse. =)

:: Black BlackBerry Pearl on T-Mobile w/ 1GB MicroSD ::
:: BSE Skin - Version 4.2.1.66 BIS ::
Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 AM   #19
rguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahellis View Post
That's the same holster I have. It cost me 3.99 and scratched the living daylights out my phone. So if you don't like scratches don't buy it. To me, scratches give character. Mine is well used and abused, but that's OK because soon my job is buying me a Curve to wreck.
Mine has some scratches at the top where the clip is but I have just as many around the edges where it gets normal wear and tear scratches and drops...
But you are correct it is not padded and that has it's drawbacks...

RGUARD.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:46 AM   #20
rguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenner View Post
Gonna go pick up some of those magnets and do a quick mod to my girlfriend's Pink Pearl Purse. =)
Funny you mentioned this, my wife keeps her Blackberry in a small "pocket" in her purse. Well you may have noticed some of the other magnets missing from the pack I used, well I taped a magnet toward the bottom of the pocket and it works like a charm . So these little magnets are good solution for many different carry devices ;)
RGUARD