Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
kennys223

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default International SIM Card

Please Login to Remove!

I need to purchase a SIM card to use while I am in the Philippines and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations....your helps is much appreciated.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:23 AM   #2
weath
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Globe and Smart both have prepaid SIM cards available almost anywhere (and will provide the best nationwide coverage). I believe you _may_ be able to get them at the money exchange/bank at the airport. NEITHER provider will support BB data on pre-paid SIMs.

Edmund Burke 1729-1797
Old 01-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Make sure you get the phone unlock code from Tmobile ahead of time and unlock it. If you don't absolutely need a sim at the airport, 7-11 should have local sims.

A local sim is likely your best bet cost-wise. The calling rates, even to the US are usually pretty good, and local calls will be cheap. I think I paid 99 php for a Globe sim 3 years ago. A couple hundred php of credit added on left me with so much at the end of 10 days that I downloaded a game for my phone at the airport on the way out.

There are "international" sim's that work around the world, but those are so expensive I don't see the attraction unless you continually hop around several countries and want one number. Google if you want one of those. I think their rates run 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of just using your US sim. And they usually cost a lot up front.

Other things you should do is google for the APNs of those providers and make sure to have Opera Mini installed so you have a chance of maybe using mobile internet. As mentioned, you won't get BB data, but might be able to use Opera Mini and apps like the Gmail app for some email checking. Of course if you can find a wifi spot, you'll be able to use your US sim in the 8320 and UMA for free.

Here's a website that may have the APNs, although for another country it had an APN that didn't work.
GPRS settings for various networks worldwide
Old 01-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
jd777

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by weath View Post
Globe and Smart both have prepaid SIM cards available almost anywhere (and will provide the best nationwide coverage). I believe you _may_ be able to get them at the money exchange/bank at the airport. NEITHER provider will support BB data on pre-paid SIMs.
Smart Telecom now offers Prepaid Blackbery service in the Philippines.
PHP50/Day or PHP300/week - Unlimited BB service. For more information see link below:

Blackberry Prepaid - Smart Buddy

Last edited by jd777; 01-06-2010 at 06:05 PM..
Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
weath
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

I stand corrected! That's nice to know ref Smart. Just remember, though, that you will need to make a new BIS setup with Smart to continue to receive your email on your current BB (and you will need to "terminate" your present T-Mob BIS before you can set up the new Smart prepaid). If you will be in the Philippines for a while, the pre-paid BB plan is definitely the way to go. If you'll only be here for a short while, then maybe not, that's your call. Or if you have a spare BB you can use that one with the prepaid, and keep your T-Mob one as is.

Lots of options now. Thanks jd777!

Edmund Burke 1729-1797
Closed Thread