Default Click Touchscreen?????

Please Login to Remove!

what exactly is a click touchscreen?
Old 10-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

The device will likely have some type of vibratory feedback to simulate the tactile feeling of pressing an actual key.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
brandon.aragon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: 302aa774
Carrier: verizon

so kinda similiar to like the lg voyagers touchback feature?
Old 10-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Haven't the slightest idea. Never used anything other than a BlackBerry for a long long time.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

You press lightly to highlight whatever you want, then you press in the screen and it "clicks".
Old 10-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bettiol View Post
There will be a click and a vibrate. It's a haptic touch screen, and it's made of glass.
It is made of glass?!? Thank God! I was worried pushing down on a plastic piece all the time. I am officially SOLD. Who wants a Bold!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
dpeters11

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbswany View Post
It is made of glass?!? Thank God! I was worried pushing down on a plastic piece all the time. I am officially SOLD. Who wants a Bold!
I was hoping for synthetic sapphire.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
BB4Life

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I've played with the Storm since it being a prototype...RIM insider =-P

the whole screen can click in basically...it's pretty neat..the moment i started using it, it was very easy to assimilate to...i was able to type away quickly on it whether portrait/landscape (suretype/qwerty) compared to the iPhone...when you press the letter you want to type, it gets highlighted first, but it isn't actually inputted into the field until you press down on the screen...you actually hear the click..never seen anything like this...this device will definitely be worth the wait...can't wait to get my version unlocked on ATT!!
Old 10-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
machiavell1

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2-UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB4Life View Post
I've played with the Storm since it being a prototype...RIM insider =-P

the whole screen can click in basically...it's pretty neat..the moment i started using it, it was very easy to assimilate to...i was able to type away quickly on it whether portrait/landscape (suretype/qwerty) compared to the iPhone...when you press the letter you want to type, it gets highlighted first, but it isn't actually inputted into the field until you press down on the screen...you actually hear the click..never seen anything like this...this device will definitely be worth the wait...can't wait to get my version unlocked on ATT!!
Do you find it as good/as quick as a regular berry keypad? and how big does it feel compared to (say) the Bold or Curve?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
BB4Life

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavell1 View Post
Do you find it as good/as quick as a regular berry keypad? and how big does it feel compared to (say) the Bold or Curve?

Thanks
it's the EXACT size of the curve, except the back of the device points out a little bit to make it look a little taller....i found that i type faster on the suretype mode rather than the qwerty mode...the

one thing i didn't like about the web browsing is that you actually have to click on the screen to zoom in rather than using the thumb and your index finger used to zoom with on the iPhone..
Old 10-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #11
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
PIN: N/A

Well actually it's a tad bit longer than the Curve, and thicker too. It's about as thick as the Bold.

Last edited by Jason Mark; 10-05-2008 at 04:09 PM..
Old 10-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #12
machiavell1

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2-UK

Quote:
it's the EXACT size of the curve, except the back of the device points out a little bit to make it look a little taller....i found that i type faster on the suretype mode rather than the qwerty mode...the

one thing i didn't like about the web browsing is that you actually have to click on the screen to zoom in rather than using the thumb and your index finger used to zoom with on the iPhone..
Excellent - thanks - I can't believe that I am actually considering this one rather than the Javelin....!
Old 10-08-2008, 01:51 AM   #13
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

With the Storm, I believe RIM has designed the world's best touchscreen keyboard. I'm impressed on that they achieved the improbable: Making it better, overall, than some physical keyboards. You can even slide your thumb around without lifting it, to highlight the keys via visual feedback, and press to click the key - no need to lift thumb between keys.

The "annoy" factor of accidental touches is GONE -- you must 'click' the touchscreen for the key to be typed. Bravo! No need to hate touchscreens anymore for keyboard typing, because of greatly improved tactile feedback and the complete elimination of accidental keypresses (touchscreen "annoy factor" is gone with the Storm). The only thing missing now is the inability to 'feel' the boundaries between keys, but the large size of the keys greatly makes up for this. You've got the key highlighting even before you click so you got visual feedback before you press the touchscreen key, AND tactile feedback when you actually press the key. This really makes this the most 'comfortable' touchscreen thumb keyboard ever developed, for any touchscreen device made. Some thumb touch typist purists will prefer large keyboards such as Bold's, but I think this touchscreen keyboard may very well be preferable to type on than Curve's or Javelin's, due to the small size of the keyboard leading to more accidental keypresses than this touchscreen keyboard (amazingly so, thanks to the elimination of accidental touchscreen taps: lower keypress error rate -- on TOUCHSCREEN -- can you believe that???)

The App Center is a sorely needed addition to BlackBerry for consumers. I hope that part is going to be available on all OS 4.5 BlackBerries, and I hope little developers can submit their own applications for the future App Center, not just big ones.

More hardware acceleration would have been nice -- I think that's the next frontier for a 2009 BlackBerry model. We need more of that in a BlackBerry nowadays -- to help make the web browser more silky smooth, like on iPhone. Pity about the web browser -- while better, I think that needs to be rewritten (yet again). Hopefully they're still working on the Webkit version for OS 5.0, possibly using Google's ultrafast Javascript engine.

Clever backwards-compatibility behaviour, about making the touchscreen behave like a scrollwheel using the sliding motion. (Although X and Y co-ordinate API's are available to developers for touchscreen aware apps). Should even work all the way back to recompiled 5810 apps from six years ago.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 10-08-2008 at 02:01 AM..
Old 10-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #14
David.Burke

Model: 3GS

Quote:
when you press the letter you want to type, it gets highlighted first, but it isn't actually inputted into the field until you press down on the screen...you actually hear the click.
This may be a stupid question, but is the "click" silenced in vibrate mode?
Old 10-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #15
mike_187
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100

no the click is not silenced. its not very load anyway (any louder then pressing a real button) because that's what you are doing. the screen goes in same way when you press a button. so its not a virtual/simulated feel of tactile feedback. its real tactile feedback.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #16
David.Burke

Model: 3GS

Thank you! I'll have to take a test drive when they hit the stores.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #17
rmicek

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMobile

I can get my keyboard to beep, but not 'click' like it was advertised. Is there a setting somewhere that I can change this?
Closed Thread