Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
roveer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Nextel
Default Upgrading to Torch from Nextel 8350i Questions

Please Login to Remove!

We are getting ready to upgrade from our old Nextel 8350i BB's They've served us well, but we are moving away from PTT and really like the new Torch form factor.

Our phones are on a BES enterprise configuration so i'll be deaing with that seperately. My question is, is there anything from a BB perspective that I need to back-up or move specifically from the old phones to the new ones? I'll make a list of apps, but it's been pretty minimal. All of our address book, notes, calendars have been handled by BES so I'm assuming that will return when I activate BES on the new phones.

I'm the only one who uses BBM so I'll take my 1 contact and transfer it over and re-establish communication.

As I think of the switch I can't really think of anything that I have to do other than check the apps, and re-download and install them on the new phones. We aren't using any special apps that have special data or anything, more like slacker, weather etc.

Any help is appreciated.

Roveer
Old 10-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Since you only have a few, easily downloaded apps, here what you can do to make it as easy as possible:

1. Activate Torch with users number
2. Confirm Torch has BB data plan by sending a PIN message from/to using another BB (or send a PIN message to the Torch from the same Torch)
3. Set the activation password on the BES for the user (do not remove them from the BES)
4. Complete enterprise activation on the Torch.

By doing these steps, and not removing the user, their new device will not only resync their email/contacts/calendar, but also any BBM contacts and Password Keeper information.

If, for some reason, you are unable to activate the Torch, and need to remove/re-add the user, make sure you do a backup of the 8350i first, so you can restore the BBM and PK data if necessary.

Let the user reinstall their own apps....send them links to download, or send them a tip for using AppWorld.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
roveer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Since you only have a few, easily downloaded apps, here what you can do to make it as easy as possible:

1. Activate Torch with users number
2. Confirm Torch has BB data plan by sending a PIN message from/to using another BB (or send a PIN message to the Torch from the same Torch)
3. Set the activation password on the BES for the user (do not remove them from the BES)
4. Complete enterprise activation on the Torch.

By doing these steps, and not removing the user, their new device will not only resync their email/contacts/calendar, but also any BBM contacts and Password Keeper information.

If, for some reason, you are unable to activate the Torch, and need to remove/re-add the user, make sure you do a backup of the 8350i first, so you can restore the BBM and PK data if necessary.

Let the user reinstall their own apps....send them links to download, or send them a tip for using AppWorld.
For the BES part, does that mean I need to change the PIN in BesAdmin and then set a new activation password? Not sure how I get BES to know that I have a different handset. Assuming I have to tell it the new pin first?
Old 10-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by roveer View Post
For the BES part, does that mean I need to change the PIN in BesAdmin and then set a new activation password? Not sure how I get BES to know that I have a different handset. Assuming I have to tell it the new pin first?
For the BES part you just need to set the activation password. When the Torch begins it's activation, the PIN will be updated on the BES as part of the activation. It's like magic