Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Doenutty

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default 8520 - O2 clash with AT&T?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, I received an 8520 as a present last Sunday due to my old phone not really working all that well, my mum bought it (she lives in Dubai), from Amazon as a SIM free phone unlocked for any network (I'm in the UK).
When I put my SIM card in on Sunday everything seemed fine, went through setup etc until I got to email setup and I couldn't enter any details, I also couldn't connect to the internet.
My browser background says AT&T which leads me to believe this was possibly a re-furbished phone that has been previously registered in America or somewhere like that which uses that particular service provider.
Since then I have spent a lot of time on the phone with O2, in the store, and online with no luck, I wondered if anyone had any experience of the following and knew whether there was any chance of it being fixed?

Normal steps I have been told are to delete service book entries, go to HRT>Register Now and do a battery pull. At no point do I receive a text with settings, and although a message comes up saying 'Registration message has been sent', nothing actually happens.

I have been to O2 BIS but without being connected to the wireless network there is nothing I can do.

In TCP/IP settings, I had default entries relating to Cingular which I have replaced with O2 Payandgo settings although thats not made the slightest difference.

I have no idea, and O2 have no idea why the phone doesn't appear to be registered with Blackberry and why its not recognising my phone?

I'm just on my lunch break so this is a little garbled, if you need any other information or clarification please let me know, I just need to know if its hopeless as if so its going to have to go back! Thanks.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Default Re: 8520 - O2 clash with AT&T?

Have you the BlackBerry bolt-on on your O2 account?
Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Doenutty

Yes Have done for nearly a year now so there are no issues there. I know, that would be a simple fix, but unfortunately no problems with that.
O2 have basically said they can't do anything else, its very difficult for me to get in touch with RIM or AT&T so I am just looking to see if anyone else has had a similar issue. O2 haven't been very good at listening to me or thinking outside the box though which is why I am looking for a second opinion!
If it hadn't been a surprise I would have recommended against buying this on Amazon but at the same time I don't see what the issue could be!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Ok. So does anything work on the device? Phone, SMS? Did you wipe the device with JL_Cmder prior to starting anything just to make sure there was no IT Policy or something?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Doenutty

Calls & SMS work fine, can't use MMS/Browser (except when connected to wireless)/BBM etc.
Its clearly an American version as the home screen and the browser both show AT&T although the phone isn't blocked as its just the data package that isn't working.
The phone has been wiped before I received it, and then also in the O2 shop the other day, haven't used JL_Cmder? Would that be my best bet if this was a corporate phone previously or something? I will definitely try that out when I get home tonight.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doenutty View Post
Calls & SMS work fine, can't use MMS/Browser (except when connected to wireless)/BBM etc.
Its clearly an American version as the home screen and the browser both show AT&T although the phone isn't blocked as its just the data package that isn't working.
The phone has been wiped before I received it, and then also in the O2 shop the other day, haven't used JL_Cmder? Would that be my best bet if this was a corporate phone previously or something? I will definitely try that out when I get home tonight.
Yes, wipe with JL_Cmder using the resettofactory option. The other issue could be that the previous owner didn't unregister the device from their AT&T BIS account prior to selling it, which could present a problem.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
Doenutty

That was one of the options mentioned (about still be registered elsewhere), and if thats the case then I really have no idea to fix that! I tried to find an email address for AT&T but haven't had any luck yet from here!
Thanks for the help though, will try the wipe later and see whether that makes a difference anyway
Old 04-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: o2

This doesn't sound like a SIM free unlocked phone. Did your mother buy it used? perhaps she can return it.

The problem you will have with AT&T is that they will most likely only deal with the holder of the Blackberry Internet Service account unless you are very lucky. The PIN will be tied to their account and needs to be released.

It also seems that you already had a Blackberry previously, have you tried the switch device wizard?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
Doenutty

I did have a different Blackberry before, switch device wizard? It was supposed to be new but with the AT&T issues I suspect its possibly refurbished sold as new? The issues have stumped everyone I have spoken to at O2, as the phone was a gift it wasn't given to me when it was received so its passed the 30 day return at Amazon, I am waiting to hear back from the seller though.
I am just about to try the wipe, have updated all the software, if it doesn't work I'm really not sure if there is much else I can do?
It was sold as a SIM free unlocked phone, I've checked the description, it shouldn't have the problems that it does.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
clippo

Carrier: tesco
Angry Re: 8520 - O2 clash with AT&T?

Hi, Ive just got a new 8520 Pay monthly tesco contract using 02 network, I had a problem setting my emails up and BBM,a friend at work uses Blackberry phone as this is my first BB i didnt have a clue , All was going well until 3 days ago now i cant get into my emails,BBM, or BB app world every thing to do with BB will not load, I can open my browser and get online with Tesco mobile but not BB,
Old 04-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clippo View Post
Hi, Ive just got a new 8520 Pay monthly tesco contract using 02 network, I had a problem setting my emails up and BBM,a friend at work uses Blackberry phone as this is my first BB i didnt have a clue , All was going well until 3 days ago now i cant get into my emails,BBM, or BB app world every thing to do with BB will not load, I can open my browser and get online with Tesco mobile but not BB,
Do not hijack others' threads with unrelated posts.