BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #21
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

He needs the iPhone with the WiFi and the 3Gs.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #22
fratts
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TBayTEL

As much as I hate to say this, I kind of agree with the Op. My prediction, in about 6 months of releasing the 9800, RIM will release a slightly newer and better model which will make this model obsolete. They did it with the 9630, they are doing it right now with the 9700, the 9800 will be next.

RIM needs to get with the times. No-one is using a chip that is less than 1GHz, why does RIM think its OK to release a phone that is nowhere near as powerful as the competition and yet still expects to compete with them.

If all business didn't use BlackBerry's, this company would have gone down the pooper a long time ago. They're lucky they at least have the best security in the smart phone market, until the rest catch up to them.

I understand, that BlackBerry's and the competition are geared towards different demographics but they at least have to match what the competition is doing.

If RIM doesn't come up with something good in the near future, they will lose a customer in me.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #23
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
If all business didn't use BlackBerry's, this company would have gone down the pooper a long time ago. They're lucky they at least have the best security in the smart phone market, until the rest catch up to them.
But, many business users DO still use BlackBerrys, and Apple's security model was blown to shreds with their latest iOS shortcomings.

So, all of the bleating about CPU speeds and new models is a nice academic exercise, but not much more.

If you have suggestions for RIM, why not try [email address]
Old 08-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #24
BlueMonk7
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

As an average BB user, I have little concept of how the processor affects my BB experience. I never run into issues where I wish my 9700 would do something faster. What would I have to be doing to need a faster processor?
Old 08-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #25
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratts View Post
My prediction, in about 6 months of releasing the 9800, RIM will release a slightly newer and better model which will make this model obsolete. They did it with the 9630, they are doing it right now with the 9700, the 9800 will be next.
Yea, duh. It's their business model. It works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratts View Post
Again, duh. It's like saying IF all law enforcement agencies didn't require their personnel to have guns, then the big stick makers would do better.

Come on.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #26
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Why people still use BlackBerrys - CNN.com
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 08-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #27
*&))
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Yea, duh. It's their business model. It works.
There business model isn't the issue...the lack of innovation is. Having a strong hold on the corporate market has given RIM the fall back room to chase after the consumer market but they are losing market share. While they made major headway on the consumer side that is slowing down dramatically...updating the curve and bold isn't going to to keep them in the game and the latest set lackluster attempt to hit one out of the park have fallen rather flat. (Storm, storm 2, tour, and torch)
They need there consumer side as much as there corporate side or mix there of.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #28
Shaolin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Bell

I was really thinking about jumping to Android as I'm all about customization and things like that, but it's very hard for me to leave my BB. It's not even a BBM thing, it's the fact that I can stay connected to everyone in my life in a quick and efficient manner.

I was disappointed after I saw the specs on the new 9800 because it didn't match up to all the big phones out there, but I can almost guarantee the 9800 will do everything that I want it to do, just like my trusty 7290/8700/8310/9000, and it will do it faster.

The biggest disappointment for me with BB since the beginning was the brower was horrendous, this year I just got even more frustrated because with other platforms moving forward, I'm still stuck not being able to use the web efficiently on my BB.

I saw the reviews, the hands-on of the 9800. Yeah the specs aren't great but when it comes down to it, all the frustrations from my old blackberrys and what I wanted to see in a BB is now in the 9800 (bigger screen, touch screen with keyboard), albeit the specs are below other platforms.

People can talk about specs and apps all they want, but you don't need 100,000 apps, when only a mere handful of useful apps is necessary. If I want to play games I'll play my consoles at home on a regular size LCD TV, and not a 4 inch screen.

I get to demo the Samsung Vibrant this afternoon to see if I want to make the jump, but I'm going to hold off the decision until I get to try the 9800 as well before I make the move.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #29
gtivr6r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Shaolin, I agree!

If I want to play games or watch movies, its on my PS3 and my wide screen
LCD TV and Sony home theather.

I'm hoping the larger screen of the 9800 will let me read more of the
messages without having to scrool down or side to side so much.

I've looked at other "smart phones" and I just cant justify all the extra
stuff. Blackberrys are the perfect fit for me.

And I'm sure in 6 months a new better updated 9800 will be deployed.
And hopefully mine will mysteriously break so I can replace it under
warranty at that time.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #30
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by *&)) View Post
There business model isn't the issue...
Well, it was certainly the issue to which I referred where the poster above was *****ing that RIM would be issuing 4-6 new devices in the next making his current device obsolete.

My discussion had nothing to do business vs consumers.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #31
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
PIN: 21499CE8
Carrier: Verizon, T-Mobile

I just hate the fact that it's with AT&T.
But lately, every time I see the 9800, it seems to be calling my name. Then, my credit card says "Go ahead, it'll be all right".
I am just hoping that it'll be offered on another carrier later. If not, then I'll be exploring the wide, wide world of unlocking.

Kamau
Old 08-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #32
pizzaman383
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular/At&T

I have been anticipating this device for some time. It seems to have a great form factor, it keeps all of the things we like in a Blackberry and it adds great new features. However, the processor may be a problem.

Here is the way I see it. I have had a Bold 9000 for 18 months now. With each new OS release, I am able to have fewer applications loaded due to memory limitations.

When you upgrade to a new device you are stuck with it for 18 months. I am somewhat concerned that the processor being put into the Torch may not give me 18 months of growing room as the OS improves and as more applications become available.

I need to see how this device performs before deciding to upgrade to it.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #33
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Damn, and I thought it was going to wash my dishes too.
Wait, what? I know I read about that in a Rumors forum.

*shakes fist in the air* Damn you, RIM!

Guess I'll still have to use Kid versions 1.0 and 2.0 for that feature.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #34
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamau View Post
I just hate the fact that it's with AT&T.
But lately, every time I see the 9800, it seems to be calling my name. Then, my credit card says "Go ahead, it'll be all right".
I am just hoping that it'll be offered on another carrier later. If not, then I'll be exploring the wide, wide world of unlocking.
I feel exactly the same way. I'm dying to get my hands on one, to at least test, but as much as AT&T is getting beat up these days I'm real hesitant to switch. A smartphone's only going to be as reliable as the network it's on. Here in the US Midwest, my company uses US Cellular, Sprint, & Verizon, but we won't touch AT&T with a ten foot pole right now.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #35
rdef
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: ATT

Didn't you know that complaining is frowned upon in these forums?

I frequent quite a few product oriented forums (camera, GPS, motorcycle, etc.), but this one is the only one where if you state your disappointment (based on pretty solid facts), a few select members will swiftly swoop in and give ya the old, "so don't buy it."

That type of response serves no purpose.

A disagreement based on some points, or just ingnoring would make sense, but the "don't buy it response" is a waste of space on the forums' Western Digitals.

Also, I'm not so sure why it's so hard for those that respond to say, "yeah, I'm a bit disappointed too. I wish it had x."
Old 08-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #36
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdef View Post
Also, I'm not so sure why it's so hard for those that respond to say, "yeah, I'm a bit disappointed too. I wish it had x."
Because those users are not responding to anything that was originally spoken with any shred of intelligence or maturity.
People in this thread are replying to crap like this:
"How dare they do this kind of trick to us. Hype up this phone then land a big turd on the door step."

Ask a decent question, you'll get a decent answer.
Ask nonsense, you'll get nonsense in return.
Pretty simple, no?
Old 08-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #37
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Yep - have to take the original post in context, along with the other posts from the same guy.

And rdef, if you don't like it, don't buy it. The 9800 does nothing for me. So I'm not buying it. I'll see what the next model has. It's not like there is only one model or carrier to choose from. What vendor would do that? Where is Argon, anyway?
Old 08-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #38
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Because those users are not responding to anything that was originally spoken with any shred of intelligence or maturity.
People in this thread are replying to crap like this:
"How dare they do this kind of trick to us. Hype up this phone then land a big turd on the door step."

Ask a decent question, you'll get a decent answer.
Ask nonsense, you'll get nonsense in return.
Pretty simple, no?
Ditto.

Reading these threads is like watching Groundhog Day, except it's a version that is 3 times too long and with Phil never reaching enlightenment.

Asking questions is good. A little public complaining and wishing something were better isn't bad, but the useless, uninformed pissin and moanin, over and over and over, about the same old subject, is tiresome.

Yes, often, "You don't like it, then leave it!" is the appropriate response.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #39
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

I agree this was RIM's big chance to show they really do "get it". While an improvement, it underwhelms in the face of the competition. Neither PC Magazine nor Boy Genius report were impressed with this device either. What I don't understand is why RIM, with all its cash, can't put out a top notch, high end device that doesn't suffer from last years screen technology, processor and memory. But hey, they got "super apps"

I was really hoping for more.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 08-06-2010 at 06:34 PM..
Old 08-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #40
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Stalker
Closed Thread