BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
Bonnarooed
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Why do you carry more than one phone?

Please Login to Remove!

After reading some posts on here its obvious some of you carry more than one phone. My question is why. Maybe Im missing something here, but I dont understand the need to carry multiple phones. Just curious.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Some of us are on a BES server and want to keep our personal stuff, well, just that - personal. So, to do that, we carry a personal device with the device our employer supplies for us.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 02-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Some of us are on a BES server and want to keep our personal stuff, well, just that - personal. So, to do that, we carry a personal device with the device our employer supplies for us.
+2. I have 1 for work that is on the BES and 1 for personal use that has never touched a BES.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
scassel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
And there are numerous threads on the boards related to this topic (what can my employer see when my handheld is on a BES). A quick search will turn up many threads that could provide days of reading.

It is never good to mix business with pleasure...
Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I used to carry at least two, then went down to one before I got to Afghanistan, and now I carry three. My 9700 is activated with BlackBerry service from T-Mobile USA, my unbranded 8707g has my Roshan PAYG card in it, and my unlocked 7290 has my AWCC PAYG card. I need at least two providers here in Afghanistan because Roshan turns off their towers at night for obvious reasons. As I am mission critical, I need to be able to be reached at all times.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

I have my work device on BES and my personal device. I also don't believe in mixing my personal with my work.

In addition to that, many companies lock down company owned devices so that you cannot modify or load any program except what they allow. (In my old company, the only additional program allowed that wasn't part of the OS was nothing. Couldn't even update the OS.) They also will not allow personal devices to be connected to the BES so if the company wants you to have a BB, you have to carry it. If you want to do anything on your own, you also carry your own.

Another reason is that I have a personal cell phone number that I have had for several years and that all of my personal contacts know. I will NOT turn it over to a company for a company device and risk them refusing to release it back to me if I leave the company. It's my number and I intend to keep it as such. I do forward my personal phone number to my work phone when I travel so that I only have one phone to answer but my email stays on my personal phone. When not on travel, my work BB normally stays on the desk in my office unless there is something critical going on.

Last edited by TXLady; 02-23-2010 at 03:14 PM..
Old 02-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
Bonnarooed

I understand keeping the work phone and personal phone seperate. Maybe I misunderstood some of the forums I have been reading, seems like there are some with 2 or more personal phones. Just didnt make sense to me. Thanks for the replies though.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnarooed View Post
I understand keeping the work phone and personal phone seperate. Maybe I misunderstood some of the forums I have been reading, seems like there are some with 2 or more personal phones. Just didnt make sense to me. Thanks for the replies though.
Might be people who have more than one actual phone but only one account and switch devices. I used to do this when I was on TMO but have not accumulated extras since I switched to Verizon.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
Shaolin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Bell

My girlfriend has 2 Blackberries. One for her work and one for personal. So wants to keep it separate so that's why she has two.

I got a buddy that has 3 phones, a Palm Pre, a Storm and an Iphone. But he sells phones for Bell so he uses his Storm as his personal, the Palm Pre and the IPhone as demos for his customers.

If work ever gave me a BB, I would want to separate it from my personal phone as well. I don't want to see work stuff once I'm out of the office :D
Old 02-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I carry an ATT BB and a Verizon phone because ATT doesn't have coverage everywhere I travel.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 02-25-2010, 07:21 AM   #11
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

People that carry around more than a single handset usually have either two separate lines of business and/or need a clear demarcation point for billing charges in personal/business calls.

A personal friend works for a corporate and runs a consulting firm on the side. Keeping two handsets not only maintains his sanity (since he can control availability on the personal handset just by switching it off when he's busy in the corporate) but also helps extremely for taxation purposes when filing on his personal business.

I also know a lot of people that are supplied with a corp handset that is restricted on the available featureset due to company policy. If you travel frequently it's a ***** not being able to pull up google maps in an area you're not familiar with just because corporate policy regards it a OMGOMG liability. It's also a ***** trying to explain to corporate a 2 and a half hours transatlantic call to your wife/girlfriend 04:30 in the morning the night before the big presentation just because she had a rough day. Especially if you dont make the deal afterwards.

Others take contract work and are supplied with a handset for a short period of time, for the duration of the contract,so it makes no sense to give up their current handset/account, so they run them in parallel, or may be prone to accidents and keep handsets for redundancy, emergencies, maybe different handset featureset (camera/media player/ gps navigation etc) or work/move between areas that are not always covered by the same carrier like dc/dc.

There are a million and two reasons actually. But almost all can be grouped under either billing demarcation points, different featureset or availability of service.

Personally i only use my BES activated Bold but when abroad i hook up on a personal PBX i maintain in a colo for pesronal calls by dialing local termination numbers i purchase beforehand for peanuts. Then a 2 hour transatlantic call comes on billing as a local dial and over the years i never had a single incident of corporate complaining about my practices. Local prepaid sim cards in an unlocked handset also seem to work better for me than a seperate handset. (helps to avoid roaming charges if you're on a corp handset that hasn't negotiated a business roaming tariff with the carrier and you;re making long local calls (as explained above) on a roaming handset.)

The profiteering gluttons i'm employed with are big enough not to care though, so a single Bold does the trick for me.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
Bonnarooed

wow. Ok then.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #13
RadioRaiders

Model: 9630
Carrier: GSM/UMTS

I have 2 phones because the networks where I live have expensive interconnect fees, so if you call out of one network to another, you pay arm and a leg. If you call inside the same network it's either free or very cheap. So I carry 2 phones, one for each network.
Closed Thread