Old 04-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default 5.0 OS Review By Me

Please Login to Remove!

Well I decided to break down and look and see what all the hype was about after yesterdays release of all the features. I will be running the 5.0 OS to see what I can find that I like. I can tell you one thing they have finally done that I have waiting for since the conception of the BB is the ability to change your vibrate options. What ever developer got that pushed through thank you thank you thank you. Now i can tell just by the first vibrate what kind of alert it is.

The install was painless but after the install I was asked to reboot the device and I had a choice of either now or later or if I did not answer it would do it itself in 8 minutes.

I connected to my desktop client to have it reconnect to BES with no issues.

After it activated against BES I was up and running again. I turned my old theme on with no issues. I was able to see that in the alarm screen the alarm time in red is now centered under the time as apposed to before it was left justified.

When a box comes up that asks a question like yes no you can scroll your cursor up into the text if you want to... i think thats a bug but might be a new feature

I went and deleted all my profiles I don't use any more (good bye)..

Set my profiles to wacky rings and vibrates

happy as a peach in a pie so far.. Ill keep updates as to how glitch or buggy I find the OS, but so far I'm liking it.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Caspan
No longer Registered.

There seems to be a feedback option under profiles menu that allows you to give feedback on profiles or in general. This looks like a nice option to give your feedback about how something should work. I don't know if its their only for the Beta OS or will still be present when final release comes out
Old 04-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #3
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Okay first downside (might be fixed in original release) is my profiles were not carried forward with their settings. I have had to reset all my alerts which is a bit of a pain. My guess would be the fact that my old database is no longer compatible with the new profiles setup which is wicked. I love the simple things they have changed in profiles now so it all makes up for it.

For example when I go and modify my normal profile I no longer have to set a profile for both in holster and out of holster. They have simplified it to easy questions which eliminate them asking you twice. It no longer plays a preview every time you select a volume or ringer, or vibration. There is a try it button at the bottom if you want to test it out for when your in presence of others and driving them nuts.

Profiles is a thumbs up 100%

Just adding i wish they would have done 1 thing different on the custom vibrate. It allows you to say short medium long now and how many but would of been great to done a repeat count so it will do 2 short 1-3 times that way if you miss it the first time you can catch it the second time around or third

Last edited by Caspan; 04-29-2009 at 12:08 PM..
Old 04-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

i have tried it as well. the profiles were all messed up and i was unable to change 3rd party settings on mine (jivetalk specifically) the feedback is under every menu and is there because this (5.0) is a developers beta release. there were alot of compatability issues with Apps
Old 04-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
CoDudette
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

thanks for the comprehensive review there. what about apps like:
Viigo
Facebook
Google Talk
BerryBuzz
MSN Live Messenger?

Do you have any of the above mentioned apps and if yes, have they solved the incompatibility issue?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Caspan
No longer Registered.

I'm going through a few apps at a time to see what works and what does not for me. Not meant to be a review I guess as a what I experienced during the upgrade. Trying Facebook now.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
Caspan
No longer Registered.

One thing I just noticed is the option to switch to a certain profile while in bedside mode. that is a big plus as it drives me nuts to switch profiles at night and remember to turn it off in the morning and back to my normal profile. It seems to have this option finally. I know it has been asked for a few times in the forum.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
Caspan
No longer Registered.

I opened the media player and all my categories to select from have numbers beside them now. Example you can chose All songs, Artists and in brackets it has the number of entries for that.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
Caspan
No longer Registered.

The progress bar in the media play that shows the end time and current time has some issues. The text is almost see through like its half there
Old 04-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
CoDudette

it's good when someone tries/tests and tells you exactly what's going on with this new OS. thanks so much.. please let us know about the 3rd party apps
Old 04-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
Caspan
No longer Registered.

I just installed some applications and uninstalled some others. Funny thing was that my device seemed to do a half reboot. with 5.0 there is a bootup progress bar with the BB logo but this was the old white screen with the hour glass. I'm wondering if they have added new routines for when installing software that a full reboot is no longer required. it seemed to take half as long as a normal full reset.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
Caspan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDudette View Post
it's good when someone tries/tests and tells you exactly what's going on with this new OS. thanks so much.. please let us know about the 3rd party apps
I'm going to make this like a twitter (shot me for saying that) but as do stuff ill just post whats going on
Old 04-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #13
Caspan
No longer Registered.

App World still works no doubt there that it wouldn't.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #14
CoDudette

i won't do a 5.0 upgrade unless the 3rd party apps work

i'm just an fb addict :P
Old 04-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #15
Caspan
No longer Registered.

For Facebook I can't seem to get it using the built in browser. It says unsupported version. My guess is the OS level it does not like. But i do remember that there was a ALX file a friend of mine gave me to get 1.5 before it was released and I'm going to try installing it VIA desktop manager.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #16
Caspan
No longer Registered.

I successfully installed it through desktop manager but for some reason there is no icon for it any where.. hummm maybe theme sucks I've known themes to hide icons
Old 04-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #17
Caspan
No longer Registered.

I just tried app world and it says hey "Application "Facebook" already exists. Replace version 1.5.0.24 with version 1.5.0.31? so i know its installed but ill over write it.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #18
Caspan
No longer Registered.

App World completed the install and asked me to reboot. Asked is putting it nicely it told me I have 5 more warnings before it does the reboot for me. I think that's giving me the option. this new OS is pushy...
Old 04-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #19
CoDudette

isn't there an fb 1.5.0.32? i downloaded that off the BB website.

maybe that might work?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #20
Caspan
No longer Registered.

this was off app world so Im not sure.. just waiting for the reboot now.
Closed Thread