Old 12-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
EddyDizzle
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Removing Factory Installed Apps/Icons

Please Login to Remove!

I apologize, I did not see this as a sticky and when you search for more than a few terms - the search function goes too crazy and you can't seem to find what your looking for.

Anyways, I have an 8330 from VZW, when I installed the beta for OS5 and then downgraded I was able to somehow get rid of some of the factory installed junk/icons. Last month I bought my girlfriend a Sprint 8330. They give you all kinds of pre-installed junk and I'd really like to get rid of it for her, the menu is horribly cluttered and personally I don't like hiding things because it means there still there. (I want them gone)

So I have a few questions.

1. Do the factory apps icons take up device memory or are they just icons (shortcuts) to download those applications?
2. How do you get rid of them, obviously, thats what the thread is about. ;)
3. Last night I updated her OS to whatever the new Sprint one is.. she got an email an a new icon about it and it was peeveing her so I did it on the computer. Anyways, while I was doing it I told it to get rid of the Sprint Music store and one other app. It said it did, and I did a battery pull afterward - icons are still there though. (Does this go along with question 1? If its just a shortcut then I understand why its still there.)

Sorry I know thats a lot, I'm a 'Berrydud' but I'm getting there.

Dizzle
Old 12-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
EddyDizzle

By the way, if you don't have Sprint it really is obnoxious. Off the top of my head since my girlfriend isn't home and its not my phone so I don't really look at it.. from the factory she had Google Talk, Y! Messenger, Facebook, AOL, Myspace, AIM, Sprint Nascar, Sprint Music Store, Sprint something else Store, Navigation, Sprint TV and a couple more I know I'm not thinking of - then your basics, calculator, email, email settings, options, messages, sms, documents to go, the alarm, maps, etc.

I know the TV, Navigation and Nascar come with the plan but let people chose what they want. Especially with Google, AIM, Yahoo, Facebook, Myspace, all these other things, its funny becauses she uses only AIM but thats only occasionally.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

What you are referring to sounds like just download links. These are pushed to the device as service books. You can delete the service book, but it will be pushed to the device again. The best thing to do is just hide the icon and then carry on and forget about it.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
EddyDizzle

Thank you for the reply. So what exactly does that mean and how would I go about doing it? Since your saying I will be "pushed" it again I assume you mean they will try to get me to re-download the apps? So I suppose like you say, its not worth it.

Either way I'd still like to learn it as I'm curious of these things. I guess I can settle for leaving them hidden. Do they or do they not take up memory though?

FYI Sorry I put this in the 8800 forum rather than the 8300 one, I was reading threads in here out of curiousity.

Dizzle.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

First of all, again, they are not applications. They are links/shortcuts. If you have not clicked on them and selected download, then you do not have the apps. They don't take up any space to speak of.

To hide, highlight the icon and select menu > hide.

If you are curious about service books, do a search and read up. You can also take a look at what is listed in options > advanced options > service book. Just look. Don't mess around in there.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Lets Go Canes!)

with the newer phones we simply take out the links we want and put on homescreen and then hide the folder. As was correctly stated above, your best option is to hide.

LET'S GO CANES!
Closed Thread