Old 11-09-2004, 07:16 PM   #2
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

Old 01-07-2005, 10:26 PM   #3
Zoolan

Default Problems After 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade

We are having 2 (at least) major issues since we upgraded to 4.0. At first, we thought everything was great, then we noticed some issues:

1) We have a 'dual alias' email system, meaning that the email address we give out to people is translated at the firewall into an internal user name, which we use to login to Exchange (5.5). In the past, if we used our [email address] address from the Blackberry to send an invitation for a Calendar event, it 'automatically' translated it and forwarded it direct to the recipient within the Exchange system, it didn't send it outside. Now, it goes outside, which strips the 'invitation' flag off and all the recipient gets is a text email. We can prove this by sending an invite to an 'internal' email address (which our users don't use) and it works fine. This is the case both on the handheld and on our Outlook 2003 client. RIM support has been less than helpful. Any ideas? I'm sure I'm forgetting details, but ask and I'll try to feed any info you need.

2) We have 4 handhelds that will not take the IT Policy (it comes back with simply 'error' rather than 'Applied Succesfully'. Sometimes we get a real oddball date for the last attempt as well. This is occuring on 4 handhelds only.

To test, we took a user who was having issues, and we delete the user from the BES, move the SIM to another Blackberry (which was taking the policies OK for another user), nuked the handheld to make sure it was clean, and reloaded it. It then took the policy OK.

Then, we took the SIM from a working user, put it in the 'bad' handheld, and repeated the above process, and it will NOT take the policy. It seems to me like hardware, but to have 4 go bad at exactly the same time seems too coincidental.

Thoughts on either of these? I've been in love with this system until this week, and I'm about to throw it out the window...

Zoolan
Old 01-08-2005, 03:37 AM   #4
Special Ed

Default I work with him....

The only thing that I would add to the above would be to the second issue mentioned.

When you review IT Admin tab from one of the problem users on the BES, it shows the correct time and date for the policy sent and recieved time, and a status of error.

On the bottom half of that screen there is a box for and IT Admin commands that have been sent (essentially for Service Book into best I can tell). It also lists an status of error here, but the sent and recieved stamps are way off and wrong. They seem to stick to Tue Feb 05 00:L28:16 2036

Obviously this is wrong but we don't know why. We have verified the time and date on every system we can think of just to be sure that it can be ruled out.

That being said...we're confused and I've just about thrown this system through the window...any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Special Ed
yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
I got mail I got mail I got mail I got mail
yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Old 01-18-2005, 12:20 AM   #5
omslaw

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I'm having the *same* problem, too! Same funky date in 2036... (down to the second!)

I, too, have FOUR devices that this is occurring on!

Anyone figure anything out?

This *is* getting frustrating!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:44 AM   #6
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

Were those 4 questionable devices older units or different models than those that took the policy correctly? I'm thinking it may be an overlooked firmware issue. Maybe RIM changed the firmware ever so slightly from older units and that's what's giving the error. (Wild shot I know, but it would make sense at least). Can you look up when the units were actually issued or ordered and compare them to the others that work fine?
Old 01-20-2005, 08:28 AM   #7
jsdc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: O2 UK

I am also having problems applying IT Policies to 3 handhelds on BES4.
1 x 7290
1 x 7100x
1 x 7230

However I have others upgraded to Handheld OS 4 in exactly the same way that are fine (7230s and 7730s).

Any further ideas anyone?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2005, 10:21 PM   #8
jsdc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: O2 UK

Just to answer my own question in case someone else gets this problem.

I fixed my problem by doing the following.

1) Goto Options/Security - Click for Menu - Wipe Handheld

2) Do an Enterprise Activation (or probably any other connection method)

Not sure what caused the problem - perhaps upgrading to BES 4 and then applying Hotfix 1 immediately as the handhelds showed the last successfull application of a policy after BES 4 and before Hotfix 1.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:55 AM   #9
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: Problems After 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolan
1) We have a 'dual alias' email system, meaning that the email address we give out to people is translated at the firewall into an internal user name, which we use to login to Exchange (5.5). In the past, if we used our [email address] address from the Blackberry to send an invitation for a Calendar event, it 'automatically' translated it and forwarded it direct to the recipient within the Exchange system, it didn't send it outside. Now, it goes outside, which strips the 'invitation' flag off and all the recipient gets is a text email. We can prove this by sending an invite to an 'internal' email address (which our users don't use) and it works fine. This is the case both on the handheld and on our Outlook 2003 client. RIM support has been less than helpful. Any ideas? I'm sure I'm forgetting details, but ask and I'll try to feed any info you need.
i'm not sure if this will of much help, but if you use something like [email address] as your typical external email addressing format and [email address] as your typical internal email addressing format, then perhaps its DNS-related?

in our environment, we have ours as [email address] within Exchange. our sendmail environment handles translations for [email address], but is still tied to DNS. If we send an email to the @domain.com address, even if internally, Exchange will still route it through our sendmail environment (and back into Exchange) as if it was coming from the internet.

translation at the sendmail level actually scans the headers and does a 'search/replace' for our virtual.domain.com and converts to domain.com for outbound email and vice versa for inbound email. but with that said, it does cause an issue for vcal calendar appointments (or is it ical? organizer field remains untouched) and delivery receipts (not supported by sendmail).

but, with all that said.. it may not be your issue at all. this just seems more like an Exchange and/or DNS issue than a BES issue, to me.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:50 PM   #10
Zoolan

Default One problem resolved (sort of)

Well, over the weekend we finally called our sales rep and said that we had exhausted our time with these non-policy accepting units, and we wanted new ones, as we could move the SIM from one to another and it would work. It is clearly hardware (or firmware, as pointed out above) with no rhyme or reason as to the failed ones.

We will get new ones overnight when we take these back to the local repair center. If you are having this same issue, perhaps a simple call to the sales person will resolve it for you.

As far as the email problem...another 2 hours on the phone with RIM support today and we are no further along in resolving it. Support has been uncooperative, at best.

Zoo
Old 01-25-2005, 12:09 PM   #11
easy-v
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: None

Here is my migration story. I had to migrate my 3.6 BES because it did not meet HW requirements for BES 4.0. I host 75 users (and counting) on my BES.

1. Stopped all BES Services
2. Ran DB COPY WIZARD on SQL server. This transferred my MSDE BES database over to my SQL server
3. Pointed existing 3.6 BES to SQL server and restarted bes services
4. Prepped New BES SERVER for install
-XW6000 PIV2.8Xeon/2GB/RAM W2k03 Server
-Installed and patched X2k Admin (sp3, sp3 phru)
5. Stopped my old 3.6 BES and started the new 4.0 BES (which was pointed to the SQL Server. No Joy. It did not work. Called RIM for support
6. BESmgmt DB was still Pre-4.0. Need to upgrade to 4.0
-export user list from 3.6
-run createdb besmgmt.cfg
-removed and re-installed BES 4.0
-imported users from 3.6 user list
7. BES 4.0 running like a champ.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:38 PM   #12
Bbb1973

About the It policy error ...

1- The following should be a working process.. ask User to sync craddle BACKUP Blackberry stuff.

2- Select from the Blackberry Handheld options/ security. WIPE HANDHELD

3- Turn off blackberry.

4- Push It Policy... you should se processing.

5- Turn on Blackberry .

6- Service book should update itself and It Policy should be successfully pushed.

7- Resynch to restore data.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:40 PM   #13
Bbb1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdc
Just to answer my own question in case someone else gets this problem.

I fixed my problem by doing the following.

1) Goto Options/Security - Click for Menu - Wipe Handheld

2) Do an Enterprise Activation (or probably any other connection method)

Not sure what caused the problem - perhaps upgrading to BES 4 and then applying Hotfix 1 immediately as the handhelds showed the last successfull application of a policy after BES 4 and before Hotfix 1.
Same .
Old 04-14-2005, 06:44 PM   #14
Bbb1973

Here is another issue I seem to have but cant find any answers anywhere ..

We had completed our It Policy on Monday and pushed to users . Now for some unknown reason this morning the policy changed several things on its own

1- Message seems to be "junk" all kinds of strange carac instead of our "Welcome..." message.

2- The password field was set to 12343556... something like that million...
We ended up getting calls from users telling there were asked to enter a new password but just couldnt ( just look at Password field lenght omg ) ... We changed it back to 5 ... saved and was reapplied to users.... 5 minutes later the policy changed back again .... I heard that Hotfix2 might solve this issue .. any ideas over there ?
Closed Thread