Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
rebsoul

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Thumbs up If you own a Curve...

Please Login to Remove!

...and you are on the fence about the Storm @ (verizon)...let me ease your fears...

I was a total "i'd never type on anything but the traditional qwerty keyboard" kind of guy...but i took the plunge on the Storm 2 over the Tour and i cannot tell you how happy I am..The screen is slick, the OS is slick the TYPING TOOK ME 3 DAYS TO MASTER AND IS EASY AS PIE...i know that is the main issue for a lot of people...its not as fast, but im about 3 words per minute slower, and that is not bad at all seeing its only been 6 days...

my suggestion take the plunge
Old 12-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
stach
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630

Just took that same exact plunge this past weekend... all I can say is DITTO! I feel like I stepped up into the big leagues... I can never go back.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
rebsoul

One warning though...when you go crazy with the apps, your battery will suffer unless you close them when you're done...other than that its a marvel...
Old 12-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
pshift
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ...
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)

I get to do this next month
Old 12-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
traveling guy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Don't go over the horizon if you got Verizon
Default I agree to! (y)

Happy Storm2 user versus a Curve for about one month now. Loaded the .428 OS leak yesterday and typing is even better now!
Old 12-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask

Since 5.0 I am loving my 9530, but Ill be looking forward to the Storm 2 upgrade next year!

Verizon 9530
Old 12-24-2009, 02:04 AM   #7
stach

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshift View Post
I get to do this next month
If you're in a position to take the plunge now you may want to call Verizon and take advantage of the 2 for 1 deal.
I had 1 month left to upgrade also. The guy in the store told me I had to wait I called Verizon & they pushed my date up to the current day.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
orpheusthellos

Model: 9500
Carrier: Maxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling guy View Post
Happy Storm2 user versus a Curve for about one month now. Loaded the .428 OS leak yesterday and typing is even better now!
woot didn't realise it was leaked until after reading your post. thanks bro
Old 12-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
deej
Thumbs Must Hurt

Couldn't agree more with this thread. I still remember when I needed a new phone, and the Storm 1 wasn't available yet, so I went with the 8703E, then like a month later the Storm came out. Well then I went to the Curve, and though that this was the best phone ever!, then the track ball started to skip and generally not work very well. I ordered a new trackball, and eventually that started to do the same thing. So When the Storm 2 came out, I was like "well lets see what all the fuss is about" All I can say is WOW!!!!! I absolutely love this phone, and like was mentioned above, its really easy to master the phone in just a week. I picked up the Curve on my desktop charger the other day just to see if I could remember how to use it, and I thought to myself..."how could you ever have thought this was the greatest phone?" The Blackberry Storm 2 in my opinion is the best phone ever made........until the Storm 3 or the Hurricane or the Tornado, or whatever they are going to call the next generation comes out. LOL

Think of your three closest friends. If they seem normal
you're the one!
Old 01-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #10
TimW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

I had a TMO 8320 Curve that finally died (got it when they first came out)..it froze 3-4 times a day and just went wonky.

So, I am currently in day 4 of my 30-days on a Droid. After I figured out the contact/calendar/email synch issues (via Gmail), I stopped wanting to launch the phone through a window, and now can give it a real test-run.

But I am still very much on the fence, meaning that if in the next week the Droid doesn't wow me, and survives the week (trade show in Las Vegas) w/o hiccup, I may be coming back to a BB.

Then...what kind?

I was thinking of the VZW Storm2. Buddy has one from work, likes it. I like the BB platform, as it does what I need it to do...Droid now can, but has extras going for it (browser kicks BB's butt).

If I do go back to the BB platform, it'll be on VZW...so Storm 2 or Tour? Tour sort of replicates the Curve, trackball included (which I like). Storm has a much nicer, and larger, screen, and onscreen typing is find now that I've had a chance with teh Droid.

But some concerns on the Storm2....I see thread after thread of people having problems, requiring them to pull the battery, leaky memories, dropped calls, freeze-ups...NONE of which happened with my TMO Curve.

What gives? I really would prefer the Storm to the Tour, but not at the expense of it, oh I don't know, actually working.

Am I being overly concerned, or is the Storm still not finished baking yet...similar to the Droid?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
TimW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

After evaluating the Droid for 2 weeks, I ended up back with a Blackberry.

The battery issue was resolved by changing the screen timeout to 30-seconds...I had it set for 2 minutes, and that just killed battery life. I had it set that long because of the main reason I went back to a BB:

The "unlock" procedure.

Blackberries are easy to unlock with one hand. The Droid was awkward, at best. After removing from the holster, you had to try and find the small power button, press it, and THEN do the swipe thing to unlock the phone. It was the "wake up" portion of that which was awkward. To have to do this after a mere 30 seconds stunk. Even my BB won't lock if I set it down for a few minutes.

I was able to cobble together solutions to get the Droid to do what I needed it to do...
* receive email from my Internet business (via POP through GMAIL, not elegant),
* get my contacts onto the Droid (upload a .csv file to GMAIL, synch contacts to Droid, then delete the contacts from Gmail...I didn't want my contact's info in Gmail)
* Synch my calendar to Outlook (which I use at home for my email client). Gmail has a Synch tool, which worked, but you can't accept appointments sent to you on the Droid. (Yeah, maybe with an Exchange server, but I don't use one).

After using it for 2 weeks, one of which was at a major trade show, I decided I needed a phone that did email and calendaring really well, not a micro-PC that happened to also make phone calls.

The Droid is a very capable device, just not for me.

So, I went with a Tour. I had thought about the Storm 2, because of the larger screen, but after playing with it more during my hour wait for service at the Verizon store (!!), I realized I liked a physical keyboard much more than I had thought (I used it whenever possible with the Droid), and going to a Storm2 would probably cause the same frustrations as with the Droid.
Closed Thread