Old 05-18-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
cell_gruz12
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 0000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Any students with Curve

Please Login to Remove!

I am heading to university next year. I am a student so I don't "necessarily" need e-mail right now. However, I do text a lot and wanted to ask if anyone uses their curve for texting. Does anyone have a curve without a data/e-mail plan? Is it overkill to have a curve for texting. Should I get a normal phone?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
slikz

Model: 8320
Carrier: ATT

Most people will tell you that you need a data plan, otherwise there's no point, blah blah blah. I've no data plan, I just wanted the full keypad for texting and other features the phone has. Works excellently. There's not much point in me having a data plan anyway, since there's free wifi campus wide.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
jtsunami09876
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: At&t

Still I would get a data plan even if it's a few mb/s as using some data on the phone isn't too difficult by accident.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
cell_gruz12

Well at Rogers, we have a personal e-mail plan for blackberry which is $15 and it's unlimited e-mail but no browsing or anything. But even then, I was just going to get unlimited texting without any data for now because if I do subscribe, there is a $100 termination fee.

Also for 8320 wi-fi, is e-mail and browsing all capable? or only browsing?
Old 05-19-2008, 05:18 AM   #5
lilryan

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

im a student and, while the data plan is great and all, its not really necessary for students. it does wonders killing time in class for sure ;) but other than that the bb is a great messaging device and great for im'ing also. i use it mostly for setting test/ study dates, texting and im'ing.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
prodigee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Fido (City, Unlimited)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsunami09876 View Post
Still I would get a data plan even if it's a few mb/s as using some data on the phone isn't too difficult by accident.
i never go over unless i truly NEED to. i watch how much data i spend during the month with Mini Moni. pretty useful tool.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

blackberry's are great over for any texting whether it's actual texting or IM'ing or email. there is no point in getting a blackberry without data, b/c you will inevitably be charged for data which you didn't even realize that you were using, but also it's a waste. if you don't have a data plan with the blackberry, there is nothing setting you apart from one of those LG enV QWERTY keypads. my suggestion is if you just want to text, then get one of those. if you want instant access to your email, texting, web surfing, calendar sync, IMing, etc...get a blackberry. blackberry's usually give you the option to use data instead of texts when you IM. all you need is a 3rd party app, then it uses data. if you use your wireless carrier's setup, it will naturally use up text messages.

long story for a simple answer...get a data plan if you get a blackberry lol
Old 05-19-2008, 11:47 PM   #8
cell_gruz12

The organizer (notes, calendar) and also 3rd party app like studentberry is also attractive. I know other normal phones also have calender and such but not like the one in Blackberry. It really does seem useful and as a student I want that. I guess I am going for the curve!
Old 05-19-2008, 11:47 PM   #9
jnev

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I use my curve in college... I use the calender all the time to plan all my stuff, and receiving all my email on my phone is very useful. having internet in my pocket is also very nice while in class haha.
Closed Thread