BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 05:13 AM   #1
cardiff_gareth
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 3
Default Please help, I have a few issues !

Please Login to Remove!

Got my Bold yesterday ant its my first Blackberry, I used to own Nokia's, my last being the poo E71.

Anyway, I tried to set up my email today, i'm with Googlemail. I know that google do an app for it but I beleive you have to log into it to get your emails rather than them coming direct to you so I wanted to use the 'set up email' option. According to the manual there should be several options to input email but I only have the option for Enterprise server which requires a blackberry password etc ?
The guy in the store told me I could have googlemail set up as a email inbox on the phone so i'm confussed !

Also I tried installing the Blackberry Apps World, both from my phone and from my PC to phone but on both instances it says that my phone isn't supported but on the Blackberry site it says it is ?

Lastly the guy in the store I got it from said that it has built in maps like the Nokia maps but although I can find an option for maps in the settings, thats all I can find and I cannot make it fire them up or find any folders / tabs etc for maps so do I take it that this phone doesn't have the maps built in ?

Please help as when I get these 3 things done i'll be an uber happy chappy
Old 06-24-2009, 05:24 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

do you have a BB data plan with 3?
if the answer is yes, then you can setup personal email by going to 3's BIS site.
BlackBerry Internet Service
create a new account, follow the instructions and set it up.

App world should download to the phone fine. Not sure why it isnt.

click menu. see a screen with apps. click menu and go to show all. click the trackball.
BB maps is a compass like icon. Check then applications folder.

If it isn't there, then it is strange. But you can always download Google maps for free.
basically does exactly what BB maps does.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 06-24-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

To answer your data questions, you need a BB data plan for email and for App World.

What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ

How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ

There are no built-in maps. There is a map application, BB Maps, but that also requires a BB data plan. In most cases map data downloads as you move and need it, and cannot be stored on the device itself. For more info on map apps, go to our GPS and Maps section and read the yellow sticky at the top of the section.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
cardiff_gareth

cheers for the replies, just looked - no maps or icon in apps folder.

I spoke with 3 today, went through to technical help, what a pallarva! I currently have X series silver (internet max) on my account which gives me no data charges, unlimited internet and emails but after a lengthly call to 3 it appears I need a different add on convieniently called blackberry add on :lol:

So they are changing it over but that'll take 2 days, I looked online and the Blackberry add on and the X series silver look the same but according to the tech guy I need the blackberry add on for the email ?

I'm on hold to them now, been on phone for 54 mins! They do not know why in the email set up the only option I have is the blackberry enterprise option and not the bog standard add an email address option, any idea's ??

Blackberry app world still not downloading, still saying my phone isn't compatible ??
Old 06-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

yes you need a blackberry plan to use with a blackberry. whether they look the same or not, you need a BB one to be provisioned to use BB features.

its because you dont yet have the BB plan.
it will appear and allow for BB maps and BB app world once it is activated on your account.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 06-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

I only had enterprise when I got my BB, i setup through my BIS page, which is the link I first posted, and you can setup email there.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
cardiff_gareth

well I checked this morning and it says online now that the Blackberry add on is now active and 3 sent me a message with a link on for setting up the email but its different to that link you gave me ?

I will call them later on to see how to set it up as this link they give me doesn't contain Blackbeery in the list of phones

Still doesn't like the Blackberry Apps World - I still get the same error message 'Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support Blackberry App World'

Any idea's ?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #8
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

I would say their link if for mobile email and the link I gave you is actually Blackberrys own carrier portal for 3.
I would say use my link, as I reckon their link, which as mentioned doesnt have blackberries is not the correct link!
Can you post it here?

Also, it is strange. people have had problems with app world, but it should work.
Though in my opinion, you dont really need it.
most of the apps are paid for apps, and all can be found using google etc. it also hogs memory and is relatively slow.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
merricK22

Carrier: 3 uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff_gareth View Post
well I checked this morning and it says online now that the Blackberry add on is now active and 3 sent me a message with a link on for setting up the email but its different to that link you gave me ?

I will call them later on to see how to set it up as this link they give me doesn't contain Blackbeery in the list of phones

Still doesn't like the Blackberry Apps World - I still get the same error message 'Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support Blackberry App World'

Any idea's ?

when i set my bold up on 3 all i did was run the setup wizard, which you can find in the menu, my best bet would be to try running that!
Old 06-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
cardiff_gareth

SOLVED !

I had a call from 3 today to say that the Blackberry add on was now live on my account.

Then about 5 mins later the screen changed and it said my Blackberry service plan or something simular had been registered with Blackberry and I clicked next and the screen then said to add my email address and password which I did and all was fine, got an email through saying that I should be receiving emails within 20 mins and it had put a new icon in the menu's.

When I went into the menus I noticed I now had a '3' favourites icon, a maps icon and a few more to do with the weather, stocks etc. Went into the downloads icon and in there I had Blackberry Apps, Facebook etc and its all working fine now, I even have built in maps that are very good and up to date, even has my new estate on there !

Weird how they can activate phone menu's etc remotely, freaked me out a little !!

Last edited by cardiff_gareth; 06-25-2009 at 04:08 PM..
Old 06-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Was it BB maps?
because it isnt built in maps, they are downloaded via data.

but glad its working now! enjoy a full functioning BB!

Old 06-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
cardiff_gareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
Was it BB maps?
because it isnt built in maps, they are downloaded via data.

but glad its working now! enjoy a full functioning BB!
Yep, they are the BB ones, it had a european look map when I started it and then when I zoomed in it was downloading the maps and kept saying rendering.

Massive thunderstom here so I've stopped playing with it for fear of being nuked !
Old 06-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

You cant be nuked via any mobile phone due to a thunderstorm, but its likely interrupting the radio waves of the data keeping it slow.

Can I ask why the model number in your profile at the side has B after it?

Old 06-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
cardiff_gareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
You cant be nuked via any mobile phone due to a thunderstorm, but its likely interrupting the radio waves of the data keeping it slow.

Can I ask why the model number in your profile at the side has B after it?

Ah cool, lights are flickering here and the TV just went off also

The B was for Bold, so people knew I had a 9000 Bold.

Maybe I should change it
Old 06-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Well the 9000 is the Bold.
There isnt a 9000 Italic. etc.

And yes when thinking of a word to go with Bold I could only think of MS office word and bold italic and underline lol

And holy crap! Likely to get that weather tomoz, at least i hope in daylight, though i hope not when wimbledon is on...

Closed Thread