Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:03 AM   #1
heilemann

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: china mobile
Exclamation problem with trackball

Please Login to Remove!

I hope someone can help with this one, recently the trackball has been malfunctioning. I can no longer press the trackball and have a command confirmed/entered. Now I must scroll to a command and then push the enter key on the bottom right of the keyboard. Is this common? I read somewhere else that this happened to other pearl users, but I haven't seen mention of how to fix this problem. Any suggestions?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
drakkenkorin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

i've heard/read where people's trackball has fallen out or stopped working - but i think their bb were still under warranty, and they just did a warranty call on it.

is yours sitll under warranty?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
pjw7790

PIN: 23EEABCB
Carrier: Cingular

It could possibly be dirty. There is a thread on here that tells you how to disassemble the blackberry and clean it. Do a search for it.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
naabster
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: TMO

I had a problem with my trackball. i could not push it - moving worked just fine. i also had to use the enter-key.

But the strange thing was, that from time to time the trackball developed a life of its own and "pushed" itself. so there were randomly menus coming up, messages (with no text) replied, all sort of thing, depending on which application the cursor currently was.

That was so annoying, i could not use the pearl any more. It happened so fast, i even did not manage to move the cursor on a "safe" application like the keyboard-lock. I had to switch it of, as random emails were sent, calls were placed etc.

i was ready to go to my provider the next day when i tried it once more and the problems were gone. Since then i had no more problem with the trackball, but it was a bit scary.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
authentic8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO

Blast the trackball and keys with some canned air and see what happens. I had a similar sounding issue and did get a replacement but canned air is a good place to start.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
diaz1622

Model: Pearl
Carrier: t-mobile

This problem just started happening to me. It seems as if the clicking the track ball is now the same as clicking the q button. So i am forced to use the enter key to select things. I can't find any settings for setting the trackwheel button
Old 05-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
justin howse

Carrier: T-Mobile

Mines doing exactly the same thing, press pearl and it think's it is "Q". Battery pull didn't fix, any one any ideas?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

Have you done a battery reset? If not, remove the battery, reinstall and see if that fixes the problem.

If that does not work, remove the battery and then press firmly on the trackball and move it round and round. This "cleared" my trackball when it stopped moving the cursor. I assumed there was some kind of obstruction inside.

You can also get some alcohol or Windex, spray it on to a paper towel and rub that round and round on the trackball. Then move the trackball round and round as described above. Do NOT spray the Windex anywhere else or directly on the trackball!!!! Spray the towel.

If that does not work, you can call tech support and make a warranty claim.

If you want, you can disassemble the trackball, clean it up and see if there is anything in there that might be causing the problem. Keep in mind that if you break something, then the carrier will not cover the defect under the warranty. So the choice is yours.

LINK http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...eassembly.html

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 05-16-2007 at 03:40 PM..
Old 06-02-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
flubrat

Has anyone figured this out? I have the same problem. When I push my trackball it's like pushing the "Q button". What's the deal? is this a software glitch...sort of sounds like it is, with others having the same problem!

Help!!

Thanks!!
Old 07-04-2007, 06:25 AM   #10
michael scott

Carrier: att (formerly cingular, formerly att)

i am getting this trackball mess as well. when i press it in it tiggers the Q key which from the home screen takes me to my call log. only way to get anything done is to use the 'enter' key which is going to get old very quickly and give me thumbstrainuous. phone is 4 months old.

tried battery reset and canned-air... nothin.

c
Old 07-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #11
michael scott

Carrier: att (formerly cingular, formerly att)

4 days since my complaint this problem has mysteriously gone away. i went through a short period of the problem getting worse. when i would go to the call log i couldn't even use the 'pearl' to highlight recent calls. the whole phone seemed to be freaking out. i was a few days away from getting a used one on ebay.

took the phone out of my pocket today and it just worked perfectly.

previous attempts at removing and cleaning the trackball, canned air blasts, battery resets, OS upgrades and randomly smashing every key had no effect. the thing just decided to "fix itself" today. I also met someone who claimed to have the same problem and have it just "go away" weird.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:59 PM   #12
middlj
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: 24313302
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

I had this same issue. I pulled apart the phone and tried to clean it up but I didn't want to void my warranty. I called Cingular and they sent me a replacement phone in a day. It's great! Now I have an AT&T phone -- BOOO!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #13
reffjak

Carrier: T Mobile
Angry

I had the exact same issue with the trackball not accepting the depress function and then hours later it would just spew out trackball 'enter' functions. It was great as it would just automatically reply to emails and text messages when I was in Messages. I nearly had to throw it against a wall.

I called T-Mobile and they are sending me a new phone today. Well, I assume that it is a refurb.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #14
gixxer750kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffjak View Post
I had the exact same issue with the trackball not accepting the depress function and then hours later it would just spew out trackball 'enter' functions. It was great as it would just automatically reply to emails and text messages when I was in Messages. I nearly had to throw it against a wall.

I called T-Mobile and they are sending me a new phone today. Well, I assume that it is a refurb.
did you have to send your phone in first or what's the deal? I'm about to ether stop by a store or give them a call later today.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:25 PM   #15
reffjak

Carrier: T Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer750kid View Post
did you have to send your phone in first or what's the deal? I'm about to ether stop by a store or give them a call later today.
They are sending the new phone by UPS. I will return my old one after I get the new one.
Closed Thread