BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default FAQ: Restore data AND 3rd party applications after Error 507 (Failed OS install)

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

For those of you unlucky to have run into an Error 507 during a BlackBerry OS upgrade, nothing is more aggravating to see the loss of paid 3rd party applications.
- Error 507 (on device)
- Multistage load failed (in Desktop)

Example: Some 3rd party videogames I paid for -- Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart -- and Prince of Persia videogames (BlackBerry Bold version) -- purchased through the cellphone company's WAP gaming store, with no recourse for redownload. And in addition, having to re-download zillions of OTA applications all over again, like Google Maps, GMAIL Mobile, Wall Street, Facebook, Myspace, Opera Mini, Windows Live, Yahoo, MSN Live Messenger, Google Talk, E*TRADE Mobile Pro, and many others.

I learned some tips on being stubborn and recovering my data without having to reinstall everything.

What do I do first?
Fix your Error 507 situation first. You can search, but generally, move the USB cable to a direct port on your computer (warning: Some computer USB ports are hub ports, basically being built-in USB hubs on the motherboards). Instructions do vary a bit. In an Error 507 condition, you may have to experiment with each and every port your computer has -- before you find a port that works. You may have to reset your Berry a few times, while trying to reconnect with loader. Then try BlackBerry Desktop. Or bypass Desktop and try running Loader.exe as:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe

How do I restore my lost emails and addressbook?
You can restore your databases (emails, addressbook, etc) via BlackBerry Desktop. Locate your "LoaderBackup-<date>.ipd" file in your "My Documents" folder. That's where BlackBerry Desktop does an automatic backup to. Start BlackBerry Desktop, select Backup & Restore, select Restore. And now you're restoring from your backup.

There is now a problem restoring from my .ipd file -- It displays an error halfway through!
Sometimes this errors out on "Profiles" or another item, especially if you have an old Bold OS (version 4.6.0.125). Usually not a problem if you do Advanced restore. Start BlackBerry Desktop, select Backup & Restore, select Advanced, Click File, Open file, go to My Documents, select the most recent .ipd file. Select all items in the leftmost column. Try again. Watch what item it freezes on. Now re-select all items in the leftmost column but de-select the problem item (that it errors on). Try again. Now you've restored from all databases except for one that is causing major problems.

Where does BlackBerry Desktop backup 3rd party applications to, during an OS upgrade?
I have discovered that BlackBerry Desktops automatically backs up 3rd party applications to the following folder:
C:\Document and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\<pin>\
Replace <username> with your Windows login username, or just hunt around the Document and Settings folder on your C: drive. Replace <pin> with your BlackBerry's PIN.

How do I restore the lost applications all at once?
Go to the command prompt, and run this command:
javaloader -usb load *
This is the command line that reloads all files in this folder. You don't need to rename these files to .cod - javaloader recognizes the format of the files

What is javaloader?
You'll have to do a search. But here's a helper:
Get javaloader.exe
Alternatively, you can also use JL_cmdr.

My BlackBerry is now back to the way it was before without needing reinstalls. Thanks! But applications forgot their own settings!
Things like Facebook prompting you for passwords again, etc, are usually unavoidable. You'll have to reconfigure most of your applications. Some may remember settings (i.e. Live Messenger, Opera Mini) while others will forget settings (i.e. Facebook). Better success may occur if re-restoring the .ipd file after doing the javaloader lost-applications recovery procedure.

Now be careful next time...
John Clark highly recommends Backing up all installed 3rd party applications BEFORE you try any OS upgrades.
____

(IMPORTANT note -- Even though RIM software is involved too, this post involves restoring backups of Aftermarket Software. So it was posted here. Moderators may wish to move this, if there is a topic area more appropriate for this thread.)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 11-29-2008 at 03:11 PM..
Old 11-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

For 3rd party apps there is actually an alx file associated with the 3rd party backup and you can simply move that alx and associated files to another folder and use DM to browse to the alx to restore them.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Also, the PIN folder's contents may disappear after the loader quits. So, it's best to browse there and get the contents before clicking "next" or "ok" or whatever prompts come up when the error occurs.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

In my case, my .alx was missing. It may have been because I had gone through a reinstall attempt of the BlackBerry OS via Loader.exe, and went through BlackBerry Desktop subsequently several times, including the restore of the .ipd file first, before I later discovered the applications backup.

But your suggestion is good too -- if the .alx file is still available.

In my specific case, the folder did not disappear when I quit Desktop, but you are right: It is likely best to make an immediate backup. I suspect that the folder was kept there because the OS installation failed. It may be that the .alx automatically got deleted in my case, but not the <pin> folder.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 11-29-2008 at 03:09 PM..
Old 11-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Or just do this before each OS upgrade (that's what I do.)

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...arty-apps.html
Old 11-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Hindsight is 20/20, but hopefully I save someone else some aggravation...
Old 11-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8310; RammerJammer!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
Or just do this before each OS upgrade (that's what I do.)

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...arty-apps.html
That's ^^ what I do as well.
I learned the hard way -- twice!

Good thread.
Closed Thread