fotnost
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Reliance India
Default Browswer Push, Pushed Content Clarification Please

Please Login to Remove!

I'm on 7.1.0.523 on Bold 9900. I'm on BIS

The only applications I have on my Bold 9900 are = Google Talk Messenger from RIM, Yahoo Messenger from RIM and WhatsApp Messenger. I also use BlackBerry Messenger.

And I have one GMAIL E-Mail account configured 'to receive push mail on my phone.

I have three questions I would like someone to clarify for me please:

1) I browse very seldom. Occasionaly. I clear History. Is it safe to go to options and use the clear cookies, history, etc?

The main thing i am worried about is "PUSHED CONTENT" - Is cleaning that going to affect my push e-mail or my messengers while i am on the move? any service books?

2) Also under Settings - Device - Advanced - Browser Push - I had Browser Push Enabled. Hence all the subsequent checkboxes were enabled - MDS< WAP and all the permissions etc.

I unchecked Browser Push. Because I am not subscribed to any browser related services.

Is unchecking Browser Push going to hamper my push e-mail / messengers to chat / service books in anyway?

AND LAST but not least

3) Memory Cleaning - Is it good to enable Memory Cleaning? Does that clean some stuff which is required by phone / messenger applications to stay signed in continuously so i can receive Instant Messages 24x7?

Please help me with this. It might sound naive but I don't know what all these mean. Thanks in advance
Old 08-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: Browswer Push, Pushed Content Clarification Please

1) Totally safe to clear history. No worries just do it.
2) Leave Browser push enabled. The phone supports many kinds of push messages and you don't want to disable that.
3) I clean the memory at least once a day (a bit compulsive I know....). It won't affect anything.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
fotnost
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Reliance India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard S. View Post
1) Totally safe to clear history. No worries just do it.
2) Leave Browser push enabled. The phone supports many kinds of push messages and you don't want to disable that.
3) I clean the memory at least once a day (a bit compulsive I know....). It won't affect anything.
ok great... thanks a ton Howard

so clearing browser history along with the "Pushed Content" checkbox checked is not at all going to harm my push mail or instant messaging, right?

yea i needed to ask about memory cleaning because sometimes i want to clear my clipboard

and yea you say even with my limited usage of push email and instant messaging through yahoo, google talk, BBM and whatsapp - i should still leave browser push enabled? ok... shall try that

though i dunno if it's just me, my fear or actually true... since last night, since i disabled browser push... my phone seems to be connecting slow in terms of sending messages over whatsapp or BBM or signing in to them

anyway.. shall restore it. thanks a ton
Old 08-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Clearing pushed content in the browser options has nothing to do with pushed email.

Clearing browser cache, cookies, etc. is a good troubleshooting step when you are having issues with the browser. Me personally, I don't do it as a preventative, but only when there seems to be a problem; and I try to avoid clearing cookies as login info is typically stored in cookies and I'm too lazy to want to have to enter login info again.

Memory cleaning, if you are talking about security options, is not what you think it is. When enabled, it overwrites unused memory locations for security. It doesn't free up memory.

I agree with leaving browser push enabled. I don't know of any practical negatives to leaving it enabled. Your observation of slow response when sending messages after you disabled browser push is coincidence.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Preroll
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
Carrier: Verizon

I had asked this question awhile back RE: Memory Cleaning. JSanders gave a very good description of how it works:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1747457
Closed Thread