Old 07-05-2005, 02:01 PM   #1
DoomBringer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7280
Carrier: cingular, no wait, AT&T
Default Interesting Conundrum with Split Pipes

Please Login to Remove!

Here is an interesting problem:
I've written an app that is part of the mail program (I am a custom menu entry in the mail app, see RIM's tutorials on how to do this), and my program needs data connectivity, via BES or via WAP gateways. If you are using a BES, and the app tries to connect via a WAP Gateway, the application reaches a "split pipe" mode, and fails to work under default BES settings. Split pipes are a problem in TCP/IP stuff, I guess... I'm not 100% sure of the technical bits, but its Not A Good Thing. Anyhow, once an app runs into this problem, it seems to get stuck with a permanent "naughty flag" and will always be stopped from data connectivity, it would seem. The only solution I have is to uninstall and reinstall the whole thing, because my app runs as part of the mail app, which is a core application.
Anyone else have any ideas? Run into this problem yourself?
Old 07-05-2005, 05:32 PM   #2
arconsulting
Thumbs Must Hurt

The default IT policies don't allow split-pipe connections. To enable, you will need to convince the BES admin to change the IT policy (not likely).

The good news is that if MDS is enabled on the BES, you can just use that to connect to the outside world and skip the WAP gateway.
BlackBerry consulting and development (RIM SI Partner)
Old 07-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #3
DoomBringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arconsulting
The default IT policies don't allow split-pipe connections. To enable, you will need to convince the BES admin to change the IT policy (not likely).

The good news is that if MDS is enabled on the BES, you can just use that to connect to the outside world and skip the WAP gateway.
Oh, sure, but we're selling this stuff to customers, so I doubt they'll want to change their IT policy like that. The other selling point of our app was that it could work with or without BES, so we needed the option in there for WAP Gateway. Sure, 99% of the time, they'll have a BES with MDS, so more often than not, it will be turned off, but I can't remove the feature.
Of course, our customer's end-users will see the check box in the options panel and enable it for whatever reason ("OOOH! A big shiny checkbox! I'll enable it, because I know better than the guy who branded this application!!!")... which is just great. I don't want to have to tell the customer's that the device will have to be virtually reformatted (which isn't so scary, but people will freak anyways). Gagh. I guess there isn't an easy work around then.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:51 PM   #4
jonberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 950
Carrier: T-Mobile

It totally sucks but you can make two versions: one for BES, one for WAP.

Jon
Old 07-06-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
DoomBringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonberry
It totally sucks but you can make two versions: one for BES, one for WAP.

Jon
Maintaining two code lines is unacceptable. A good solution is to use custom IT policy from BES to config this stuf... the end-user has no choice then.
Closed Thread