BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
kf0s
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Outlook + BIS moving to BES + Notes + ?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

Currently I have a Blackberry Bold running on BIS and I keep my personal calendar in Outlook and sync it via USB. This is pretty easy. I also have my various personal e-mail accounts syncing with my BB.

I am now going to be added to my company's BES so I can get at my company mail, contact, calendar (in Notes) and the intranet. The question is how do I get my personal life integrated with this (but still somewhat seperate)?

Can I still sync with Outlook? Or am I asking for trouble here since my work Notes stuff will now show up in Outlook. Maybe a one-way sync from Outlook to my BB to keep Outlook free of work meetings.

If Outlook is out of the picture, what about using my gmail calendar and syncing that. I'm thinking I need to make sure the BB and Outlook are sync'd, delete my calendar on the BB, install Google Sync, sync just to get them in order, and then push the events back to the BB from Outlook. I think I need to do this since google sync only moves things created after installation to my gmail calendar. This will effectively move my BB calendar to my gmail calendar. Then move to a one-way google to BB sync (I hope thisis an option). I sort of like this option since I can create separate google calendars for each person in the family and have them all sync to my BB.

Then I can go to the BES and it will sync my work calendar to the BB (but not to google).

Other thoughts on how to reorganize my BB without a major reorg in my life?

Thanks,
Old 06-18-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf0s View Post
Hello,

Currently I have a Blackberry Bold running on BIS and I keep my personal calendar in Outlook and sync it via USB. This is pretty easy. I also have my various personal e-mail accounts syncing with my BB.

I am now going to be added to my company's BES so I can get at my company mail, contact, calendar (in Notes) and the intranet. The question is how do I get my personal life integrated with this (but still somewhat seperate)?

Can I still sync with Outlook? Or am I asking for trouble here since my work Notes stuff will now show up in Outlook. Maybe a one-way sync from Outlook to my BB to keep Outlook free of work meetings.

If Outlook is out of the picture, what about using my gmail calendar and syncing that. I'm thinking I need to make sure the BB and Outlook are sync'd, delete my calendar on the BB, install Google Sync, sync just to get them in order, and then push the events back to the BB from Outlook. I think I need to do this since google sync only moves things created after installation to my gmail calendar. This will effectively move my BB calendar to my gmail calendar. Then move to a one-way google to BB sync (I hope thisis an option). I sort of like this option since I can create separate google calendars for each person in the family and have them all sync to my BB.

Then I can go to the BES and it will sync my work calendar to the BB (but not to google).

Other thoughts on how to reorganize my BB without a major reorg in my life?

Thanks,
The BES will take over your Tasks/Memo's/Calendar/Contact... Before you BB goes I'd probably wipe it... or all your personal information will be in Lotus Notes at work.

You seem pretty content with your BB for personal use, there is no way your boss will give you a BB for business use?

Of course I keep personal as far away from business as possible, that is my philosophy

Some things to ask.. Will an IT policy be assigned to your device, will they wipe your BlackBerry remotely if need be, How much is logged on the server, will they block 3rd party apps, etc. (Most companies will say yes to all that, with good reason)

Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread