Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 08:24 AM   #1
Knocka
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Wireless
Default Thoughts on Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

I have now been using the 7100g for almost a week. First, I really like it. For my needs, it is far superior to the Treo 650, which was bug infested and reset constantly. But, the BB has a few issues. Maybe someone has some solutions or workarounds or maybe others out there just share my pain. here they are:

(1) When an Item is moved from the Inbox to a folder that is not accessible by the BB (such as when I file in a Personal Folder) or Shift-Deleted, the BB cannot reconcile that item and it remains in the BB’s Inbox. The only way to get rid of it is to manually delete it from the BB’s Inbox. This is maddening. I see no reason that the BB cannot simply synchronize the Inbox. If it has a message n its Inbox, and does not find it on the Exchange Inbox, it deletes it. Why doesn’t some smart person write some software that does this (I have no idea how to do this).

(2) The Messages view default to Messages, not the Inbox. I relate to the Inbox. I am not interested in seeing a long list of Sent Items. Right now, for example, my Inbox has only 4 items in it, but they are all more than a day old (things I have to deal with). So, currently the first 25 items in the Messages screen are Sent Items. The first Inbox Item does not appear until the THIRD screen. Who cares about Sent Items. I know you can change to Inbox View, but I want it to default to the Inbox View. Again, this seems to be an easy feature to introduce.

(3) Related to number two, if I then delete items that are in Sent Items from the BB so that they do not appear in the Messages Screen (which is annoying anyway), when it reconciles, these items will be deleted from the Exchange Server’s Sent Items Folder and moved to Deleted Items. Obviously, I do not want that. Thus, when you combine the two behaviors of numbers 2 and 3, there is no easy way to avoid seeing all the Sent Items all the time by default. (I know I could “File” them on the BB, and Hide Filed Items, but that is another cumbersome step).

(3.1) If I uncheck the Sent Items Folder on the BB under Folder Redirection, here is what happens:

(3.1.1) Messages sent from BB appear in BB’s Sent Items folder and in the Exchange Server Sent Items Folder.

(a) If I then delete the message from the Sent Items folder on the BB, it also deletes from Sent Items on Exchange Server.

(b) If I then delete the message from the Sent Items folder on the Exchange Server, it also deletes from Sent Items on the BB.

(3.1.2) Messages sent from computer, DO NOT appear in Sent Items in BB.

This setup solves some of the problem. Since I send most mail from the computer, it keeps the Message view screen from getting too cluttered with Sent Items. But, the downside it that items sent from the computer will not be available for viewing on the BB at all.

(4) I have not yet figured out the shortcuts and use the wheel a lot. The wheel is actually very good, and it even works well for web browsing, which surprised me. But I have not yet gotten the menus customized, which should make it even more useful.

(5) When I select a name to call from the Call Log (which is very handy), it does not just call. Instead, it brings up a menu with that phone number highlighted. It takes another wheel click to place the call. In other words, if I select Jeff (w) from the call log, it brings up a menu with Call Work highlighted. I can then scroll to Call Home, etc., or click to call work. This is fine. But, you should be able to press and hold the wheel to initiate the call to the number that is in the Call Log, without being taken to the menu screen. A single click should take you to the screen, a click and hold shoul just call the number.

(6) When I select a name from the address book to call it takes even more click. The first one brings up a menu with Call [person’s name] highlighted. I then have to click again, which brings up a “which phone number screen.” I then have to scroll to and click the correct phone number. There should be a way to set one of the person’s numbers as the default (your cell, for example, so I can leave you more annoying messages), which is called on a click and hold, and only bring up these options on a single click. Too much to ask for?

(7) On the Default Text Theme, Items can be moved around, but I cannot get Verichat, for example, out of the Applications folder and onto the main screen. I also would like a Phone Option at the very top, not messages. But there is no Phone option at all. You must hit the green send key to get to Phone. Other themes, such as the Default one with Icons, have a Phone icon. You should be able to customize these screens more.

Notwithstanding these issues, I find it far superior to the Treo and am much happier with it. It is smaller, lighter, has no antenna sticking up, wirelessly synchs all PIM applications, is easy to navigate, works very well as a phone, etc.

Thoughts?

Chris
Old 04-02-2005, 08:36 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Welcome to the 7100t; what have discovered are not really issues - in my vocabulary issues can become problems. You are struggling with the way the 7100 code is designed. Many of these have been discussed over and over, and I will comment on a few of them.

1) There is a feature in the Messages Options to Hide Files Messages. That resolved #1. Once you move a message in Outlook, it will disappear from the BB.

2) There is no Inbox. No BlackBerry has an Inbox. It is called the Messages folder. All messages are stored there. SMS, missed phone calls, and yes, sent items. I don't have my 7100 handy, but on the 7290 you can create a shortcut to show only the outgoing messages (sent items, outgoing calls) and do a delete prior. Instant cleanup. Not much of a hassle.

3) No, there is no easy way to hide the sent items. If you can do a Delete Prior on them, then they will disappear from the BB and not from Outlook.

4) Using the native 7100 menu structure, there is not a lot of customization you can do. You can not move items from a sub menu to the main menu. There are many, many threads about "themes" - check out the sticky thread - and you may find a theme that works better for how you want to use your BB. I did not like the T-Mobile theme at all (I had a 7100t) so I switched to the 7700 Small Icons theme, which lets me set up the order any way I want to.

5) OK. That's a good idea. I do like it the way it is, but perhaps that is a feature for the future.

6) Same with 5). I don't personally want a default phone number. It will remember the last one you called for that person. That's good enough for me.

7) Yep. That's why I switched to the 7700 Small Icons theme. I can have it my way.

Enjoy your BB
Old 04-02-2005, 08:48 AM   #3
Knocka
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

Thanks for the comments. I have some replies, and quesitons, which ar set forth below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
1) There is a feature in the Messages Options to Hide Files Messages. That resolved #1. Once you move a message in Outlook, it will disappear from the BB.
I do not think this works if you move the message to a Personal Folder, or Shift-Delete it.
Quote:
3) No, there is no easy way to hide the sent items. If you can do a Delete Prior on them, then they will disappear from the BB and not from Outlook.
Do you have to Delete Prior on every message, or does it work by folder? If this does not delete from OUtlook, then this is a reasonable workaround.
Quote:
4) Using the native 7100 menu structure, there is not a lot of customization you can do. You can not move items from a sub menu to the main menu. There are many, many threads about "themes" - check out the sticky thread - and you may find a theme that works better for how you want to use your BB. I did not like the T-Mobile theme at all (I had a 7100t) so I switched to the 7700 Small Icons theme, which lets me set up the order any way I want to.
I will try other thems. Thanks.

Thanks again.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:23 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Quote:
Do you have to Delete Prior on every message, or does it work by folder? If this does not delete from OUtlook, then this is a reasonable workaround.
You do the Delete Prior on the BlackBerry - this has nothing to do with Outlook. On the BlackBerry, you can scroll up to a date, click the wheel and select Delete Prior. This will remove all messages on the BB - it does not touch Outlook. Here's the concept: you filter out everything but the sent items on the BB. Then you do a Delete Prior on the BlackBerry to remove the sent items from the messages view.

Click on the Messages folder, then click the wheel, select Filters and Recall. You may be able to set a filter for Outgoing messages. Give that a shot.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
nickallen

Model: 7730
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knocka
(2) The Messages view default to Messages, not the Inbox. I relate to the Inbox. I am not interested in seeing a long list of Sent Items. Right now, for example, my Inbox has only 4 items in it, but they are all more than a day old (things I have to deal with). So, currently the first 25 items in the Messages screen are Sent Items. The first Inbox Item does not appear until the THIRD screen. Who cares about Sent Items. I know you can change to Inbox View, but I want it to default to the Inbox View. Again, this seems to be an easy feature to introduce.
I'm not sure how to change the default, but for those reading this thread, this other thread has some info:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...ighlight=items

In summary though:
-I shows incoming messages
-O shows outgoing messages

(on a 7100x, the key is actually two opposite arrows)

At least it does on a 7730 and a 7100x

Nick.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:52 PM   #6
SLYDER
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

To help with your issue on #5, on my 7100G I can press the Enter key or the Send key (green phone) and it just calls the user instead of giving you the menu or opening the item.
Also, in the messages settings, try changing the delete option to PROMPT instead of handheld or server. Now if you highlight several messages and delete them it will ask if you only want to kill them from the BB. So if you go to outgoing messages, highlight them all and delete only from BB, then they will still be in the sent folder on the exchange server.

Good luck
Closed Thread