BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #1
ahmadj22
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default am i the only one that think iphone is worthless.

Please Login to Remove!

i know this is a blackberry forum not apple and this is offtopic.but the reason i am posting this here is because i dont like getting flamed. and i am pretty sure that if you mess with apple steve jobs comes into your dreams and messes you up really bad (or that might be freddy). anyways what i was going to say was that i have an ipod and i have a BB Pearl. why would i need iPhone. and since almost everyone has an iPod why are people so excited about a new one that comes with a phone. i am willing to change my stance if anyone can justify the price tag on this over glorified phone.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:09 AM   #2
Willie115
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: mEowmIx

If you have a BBPearl... what's the need for the iPod... IMO iPods are overated hehe, I don't think it's worthless... just that it's way too expensive.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadj22 View Post
why would i need iPhone.
Because Steve Jobs says you do.
One does not question Steve Jobs.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
blkberryboy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Well according to the number of replies to this post, the answer to your question is... yes
Old 05-31-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
zero7404

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

i could understand if someone had a need for the iphone (it's packed with features), for me i found that apple products will let you do alot of neat things but only in the 'apple way', most of which aren't to my liking.

i like how my pearl can play AACs and show the album artwork as well, that comes in handy when i don't want to use my ipod directly. bb's hit the spot.

i would never pay that much for a phone, unless it can transport me from one place to another in nanoseconds....he he
Old 05-31-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Ultimately it's true worth won't be known until it's been in the market for a while. How well does it sell? How does it perform? Tough to judge worth on media hype. It really could be a revolutionary product. Or it could be the wireless equivilant of the American Motors Pacer.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:31 AM   #7
YMark
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie115 View Post
If you have a BBPearl... what's the need for the iPod... IMO iPods are overated hehe, I don't think it's worthless... just that it's way too expensive.
I love my Pearl, but the media player can't begin to compare to an iPod.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:57 AM   #8
way4204

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I think the biggest thing will be the e-mail service. I think I remember Apple stating instant e-mail, then that statement has disappeared. We will have to wait only a little while longer until the unit is really on the market and we see the true value. I am still using my 4th Gen Ipod. Never upgraded. The battery doesn't fully charge anymore but it is constantly plugged into my car, so it really doesn't matter to me. My Treo 700P and the 650P before that served me very well also. They do their jobs. I am however loving the BB8830 for the main reason for getting the PUSH e-mail, the very same e-mail that got them into a legal fight with NTP over and had to pay 1/2 billion I believe. I believe it is one of the major reasons so many people get them and love them. Also, the OS has been very stable. The most stable since the 650P that I have seen. I have used the PPC on a Samsung i700 and i730 and my first impressions are that it is the most stable and the quickest I have used thus far. It is a Business smartphone with MM capabilities. I think the Iphone will be a MM device with a phone attached. I think ATT is getting the better deal out of it. Especially with the active voice mail. The feature that allows users to see who left the voice mail, I think that is neat and useful. Would I pay $$$$$ for that device. NO. Maybe if it was $250 I would think about it, but not $500. MHO. That is way I am going to start selling my shares a bit after it is released.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:02 AM   #9
way4204

Model: 8830

Also, for $500 I would rather buy the Foleo Date Posted:

The thing actually looks like it is worth $500.00

Palm Announces Linux-Based Companion for Treos (Phone Scoop)

Yesterday, 10:58 AM
Source: Palm

Today Palm unveiled an email and browsing device that will compliment its Treo line of smartphones. The Foleo, which looks like a laptop, runs a Linux operating system and features instant-on and 5 hours of battery life. In addition to an email application and browser, it will include basic Word, Excel and PowerPoint editing. The Foleo has a 10-inch screen, full-size QWERTY keyboard and weighs 2.5 pounds. It includes Bluetooth and Wi-Fi for Internet access. The device will sync with both Palm- and Windows Mobile-based Treos, and Palm says that other Microsoft Windows Mobile products should work wth the Foleo with minimal extra steps. Palm also says other smartphone platforms, like BlackBerry OS, may be compatible with the Foleo. It includes a complement of ports and jacks, and will cost $500.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #10
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

the iPhone is too expensive if you ask me for what it does... still not 3G which i think is one reason it wont do as good as people expect and i highly doubt push email is going to be anywhere as reliable and good as RIM if its even offered... Lastly its Apple, i had an iPod and gave it away b/c its crap that you cant copy files both way and your forced to get third party apps... if they want to prevent music piracy then get off your high horse and go after peer to peer software... not a fan of Apple and never will be... just my .02
Old 06-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #11
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
... anyways what i was going to say was that i have an ipod and i have a BB Pearl. why would i need iPhone.
I do not own an ipod, nor do I plan on getting an iphone, but I think what makes it attractive is the idea of carrying only one device that does what the ipod does, as well as the ipod does it and does what your phone does...
Old 06-08-2007, 10:05 PM   #12
zero7404

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Wirelessly posted (8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Imo, the iphone cannot really compete with a std iPod because it only comes in 4 or 8 GB flavors...most ppl that bought ipods transferred a large amount of music/video from their traditional media to lossy to be able to take it on the go...so an iphone will hardly suffice.

What Steve jobs is doing is very clever, but its a recurring apple tactic that really won't stay afloat for as long as they want you to believe it will...so the phenomenon becomes a rush to buy, buy, buy when it first comes out, but a little while after it becomes a wash like everything else they sell.

The bottom line is that apple will be apple, and there is nothing really revolutionary that the iphone can offer anybody that a smartphone already on the market can't do for you.

What is revolutionary is already in your palm, because RIM was the first and still is the only one to bring true email capability to a mobile phone.

Last edited by zero7404; 06-08-2007 at 10:07 PM..
Old 06-08-2007, 10:57 PM   #13
camaxtli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
PIN: a colada
Carrier: Tmobile

Hmm.. I wouldn't necessarily say its worthless. I read they are opening it up to third party apps, might be interesting. I myself have an ipod, but plan on giving it to my cousin when I get a new BB . I guess it depends on your actual needs.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
Bacchus

PIN: 23FDC48E
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

For what it's worth .....

AT&T's "Fine Edge" to boost network speeds ahead of iPhone

This is from the thread .....

Quote:
Okay, so I work in communicaitons, and I know this technology. This is the sadest excuse for a 'buzz' story I've seen in years. Effectively, they have done nothing. 'Dropping in extra T1s'. Please. We have over 32,000 T1s... and *none* of them go to our cellular network. (sigh) That isn't how we infrastructure the backhauls at all.
Also :

Flash Support

This issue of the phone networks reminds me of an an article I saw about other dimensions. It was a quote from a wild-eyed physicist from Los Alamos . He said ...

"We are stuck here and that's it."

Obviously implying that there is a "There" seperate from "Here" . We can only select from what they offer us . And I'm pretty happy about where I'm at .
Old 06-11-2007, 07:03 PM   #15
HamsterStyle

Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

I have personally never owned an IPOD or a PDA. But if I was in the market for one or both of these things when I was looking for a phone, than I would consider looking at one of these. $150 approx for IPOD, $150-200 for PDA and $Free-$400 for a phone. If you are looking for one device that does a little bit of everything, than I don't feel that $500 is all that outrageous. It is the same thing as the PS3. Who wants to pay $600 for a video game?!? But if youre looking at a Blu-ray or HD dvd player at the same time as a video game system, than $600 isnt all that bad of a price.

just my $.02
tommy
Old 06-15-2007, 08:44 PM   #16
RoC1909
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post
i could understand if someone had a need for the iphone (it's packed with features), for me i found that apple products will let you do alot of neat things but only in the 'apple way', most of which aren't to my liking.

i like how my pearl can play AACs and show the album artwork as well, that comes in handy when i don't want to use my ipod directly. bb's hit the spot.

i would never pay that much for a phone, unless it can transport me from one place to another in nanoseconds....he he
I was going to say that you obviously do not have a 8800. The 8800 let's you listen to music on the built-in speaker but try listening through attached headphones. You have better luck getting music through a rock than a 8800 and a headset.

As for the iPhone, I was going to get one instead of my 8800 but decided WHY do I need one except for the WOW and COOL factor. I already have a 30gig Video iPod. Now with the above problem, I carry my iPod AND 8800 instead of just the 8800

Actually, I hardly carry my iPod but it would be nice to have my 8800 play music when I know I am going to be somewhere waiting.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:14 PM   #17
theBorg
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 83/81
PIN: TO
Carrier: AT&T 8310, 8100, 7100

C'mon, guys. This is Apple. Above all it's a fashion accessory.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #18
john.kmiecik

Model: 6969
Carrier: Yes

I am a recent Mac convert. In mid-February I decided to purchase an iMac 20". The primary goal was the cut down on space. A regular desktop takes up a great deal of space and as a college student, space is at a premium. I have been using computers since I was 5 years old, and we started on DOS and moved on through Windows. I don't consider myself an "expert" having never taken certification courses, but I definitely know my way around Windows (or at least did at that point). I figured I would give OS X an actual try and if I hated it, no harm no foul -- Boot Camp exists, right?

I loved OS X.

It was simple, good looking and powerful all in one package. After the first weekend of frustration, I quickly learned to adapt. I was a convert -- when I replace my Dell 600m laptop, it'll be a MacBook (Pro or otherwise).

That all being said -- I could care less about the iPhone! It's a horribly overpriced iPod with some locked in phone functionality, and most likely poorly executed. I have a 30gb iPod right now. It can't hold my entire collection but I like it that way -- don't have to scroll through hundreds of artists. 8gb, however, is too small. Also as a college student, going between classes, breaks at work and studying I am using my iPod about six hours a day. The iPhone has recently been upgraded to 8 hours of listening time. We all know battery life estimates from the manufacturer are a joke at best. I'd be left without a phone if I used it solely as an iPod.

Another thing I am wary about with the iPhone is the keyboard. Tactile feedback to me is a big thing. I can actually type on my 8703 without looking at the phone... I can feel my way around the keypad just fine and I KNOW when a button has been pressed. No matter how jaw-dropping the keyboard setup for the iPhone is, I won't be able to feel my way around on the keyboard.

Yahoo! mail lockin. 'nuff said.

The pricetag doesn't even figure into my opinion here. Based on the above, I wouldn't pick that phone up at ANY price let alone the insane prices they're demanding (and people will unfortunately pay).
Old 06-28-2007, 03:53 AM   #19
greasykid1

Model: 8800
Carrier: O2 UK

Apple iPhone Review Roundup (MobileBurn)

Well, seems shitty to me!

No support for connecting to iTunes and downloading songs.
No mp3 ringtones.
No IM
No MMS
No A2DP

And what the hell is the deal with having to sent it back to apple to get a new battery fitted?
That's insane.

Are they forgetting this is supposed to be a multimedia phone as well as an mp3 player?
It's just stinks of being a regular iPod with a little bit of phone chucked in.

Is this the most overhyped product EVER?

I'll stick to my MOTORIZR Z8 thanks.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 AM   #20
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91

Quote:
i know this is a blackberry forum not apple and this is offtopic.but the reason i am posting this here is because i dont like getting flamed. and i am pretty sure that if you mess with apple steve jobs comes into your dreams and messes you up really bad (or that might be freddy). anyways what i was going to say was that i have an ipod and i have a BB Pearl. why would i need iPhone. and since almost everyone has an iPod why are people so excited about a new one that comes with a phone. i am willing to change my stance if anyone can justify the price tag on this over glorified phone.

i hate how there are people who are so brain washed by Apple. Yes, they make good quality laptops. HOWEVER, their handheld devices really aren't that durable. The iPod scratches SO easily, the battery wears down quickly and needs replacing, etc...the laundry list goes on.

When people see an Apple product, they automatically overlook ALL flaws or negative things, and automatically assume it's a ground breaking design and "wow, apple really knows what they're doing." For example, only Apple could have gotten away with the Shuffle. I guarantee you that if ANY other mp3 player manufacturer did that, people would think it was a piece of crap and would never buy it. It would get horrible reviews and the company would probably pull it off the shelf soon. When people see an Apple product, they automatically are consumed by the "Apple" image, and honestly, it's kind of pathetic.

The iPhone has a LAUNDRY LIST of flaws or left out features, which really won't be fully noticed until people empty their bank-accounts for this device (literally). Apple's strict control over the power system (battery) makes it so you are always tied to them. You can't replace the battery in the iPhone by just buying another one and sliding the old one off, and the new on one. It needs to disassembled just like iPods, or you need to send it to Apple and they will do it for you. The iPhone seems like it is such a delicate piece of equipment, that I would NEVER want to take it apart myself.

I just think the hype is way overhead of the actual function...in other words...people are going to be in for a big surprise when they find their screens cracked and smudges everywhere, and dead batteries, etc...the list goes on. I really am looking forward to the first customer reviews when the product comes out because then we'll know for sure what the real deal is.

peace
Closed Thread