ipaqman2005
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Default just dropped my new 8900 : ( question

Please Login to Remove!

hey all,

so i've had my 8900 for about 3 weeks or so and today i by accidently dropped it on the pavement : ( it did not have a case on it and on the corner of the top of the phone where the chrome wraps around it there are several mid deep scratches on it. didn't really do that much damage to the chrome part (the chrome piece must be really strong isn't it?)

I don't really care about the scratch, however i was wondering if the drop would affect my phone function at all, or does the chrome part do a good job of protecting the phone's inside parts?

thanks for your help.

ipaqman

ps. the 8900 is one sexy device : )
Old 03-11-2009, 02:22 AM   #2
Garias
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Vodafone (Greece)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaqman2005 View Post
hey all,

so i've had my 8900 for about 3 weeks or so and today i by accidently dropped it on the pavement : ( it did not have a case on it and on the corner of the top of the phone where the chrome wraps around it there are several mid deep scratches on it. didn't really do that much damage to the chrome part (the chrome piece must be really strong isn't it?)

I don't really care about the scratch, however i was wondering if the drop would affect my phone function at all, or does the chrome part do a good job of protecting the phone's inside parts?

thanks for your help.

ipaqman

ps. the 8900 is one sexy device : )
I had had exactly the same unpleasant experience. I did mind the scratch on the upper left corner and I tried the swapping with another new silver bezel from cnn. Althought the whole process stressed me a lot everything seems to work fine.

The only thing I have noticed is the difficulty to have GPS (from BB Maps). It finds very slowly sats (and most of the times it can not fine any). I don't know if this is a result from the drop or from the upgrade of the OS to .168. Hope it is the latter....
Old 03-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
raja_3012
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhn4
Carrier: AT&T

Actually what seems chrome.. is actually hardened plastic with a chrome paint on it. Sometimes it may take 3-4 days to discover any issue that might have happened due to the drop.. assuming there is no water damage, ensure your camera works fine, you can listen to others and others can listen you an finally the screen.

But be careful not to hurt that beauty going forward.

Nokia 2100 > Nokia 6100 > Samsung t319 > Nokia 5300 > Blackberry 8320 > Blackberry 8900 > iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4
Old 03-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
LaoMayer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: ---
Carrier: Orange

Do you really think that ALL 8900s would behave the same when dropped?! No chance.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
E-Phone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T Mobile

Welcome to the group of BB 8900 users with a small scratch on their devices. If it is working fine by now, I think it will be fine unless you drop it again, which is highly likely. That slippery nice thing likes to jump out of your hand. Depending on the size of the scratch, your device may not have the same beauty. With a small scratch, it is still more beautiful than most other devices.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
ipaqman2005
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: tmobile

yeah it is working perfectly fine so i dont think its a big deal... it was only dropped from about 2 feet off my desk table.

the sides are pretty strong though arent they? to withstand a few minor drops?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
RivetEd

Model: 9530
PIN: Bix Lives!
Carrier: Verizon

I may be crazy but I bought the insurance from Verizon and one of the thicker silicone skins, it actually looks like a tire thread on the bottom. Hopefully that will cover me WHEN that beauty jumps out of my hand (or pocket).

Last edited by RivetEd; 03-11-2009 at 08:11 PM..
Old 03-12-2009, 01:36 AM   #8
dcjoe662
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-MOBILE

Nothing worse than dropping your 8900 in the street! I put the BSE on my phone and have dropped it twice both in the street while walking to my truck. Both have been some solid spills with a nice bounce and and sliding against an uneven street. I have to say the skin held up fine and no damage to my phone. I didn't help that my girlfriend was there to witness both falls and her laughing and pointing. All I have to say is get some type of skin or shield on it before it happens again. Well worth the money and the phone seems to work fine.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
webchetan

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I agree I also have the skin from BSE and they are excellent! Though I have never dropped my phone...(Hey I am very careful with my gadgets )

Best of luck!
Old 03-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #10
E-Phone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T Mobile

It is a difficult choice. Showing and observing the beauty or looking at an ugly device. Having a beautiful phone and covering it with the skin to make it look so ugly. Losing the whole beauty. It is like a woman wearing a beautiful diamond necklace and covering it with a scarf. Then, what is the purpose of wearing the necklace?
Old 03-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
pinchao
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

or, what's the purpose of wearing anything at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Phone View Post
It is a difficult choice. Showing and observing the beauty or looking at an ugly device. Having a beautiful phone and covering it with the skin to make it look so ugly. Losing the whole beauty. It is like a woman wearing a beautiful diamond necklace and covering it with a scarf. Then, what is the purpose of wearing the necklace?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #12
berrylow

Carrier: movistar

Really I dont care if it looks ugly, still have my Bold due to it droping at the moment I took the sking off to charge it, it is so scratched, cant sell it for a good price.
Closed Thread