Old 04-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #21
billj61

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default BB Novice Help

Please Login to Remove!

Guys,

I'm used to the WM devices and have just picked up the BB 9000. To put it frankly "I'm Clueless". How do I keep from having to reboot during the day. The new guy.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #22
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj61 View Post
Guys,

I'm used to the WM devices and have just picked up the BB 9000. To put it frankly "I'm Clueless". How do I keep from having to reboot during the day. The new guy.
Please make your own thread. Your question is not related to the topic.

Last edited by dc/dc; 04-11-2009 at 07:25 PM..
Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #23
roberthabib

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by element526 View Post
I use Aerize Card Loader. It has a learning curve. I woulkd recommend that anyone using it should read the manual. The instructions that come with the download suck. The most important thing to do with this application is to load apps to the card. This will require apps to be redownloaded. When downloading wait 5-10 seconds and a box will pop up above permissions saying "download to SD card" just check that and it will load to the card and phone memory. When you finish with a app just go to the card loader and unload it from phone memory and it will store back on the card. Sorry for the longwinded explanation but I got flamed elsewhere by someone who did not understand this program.
Thank you so much for your reply. I was actually considering buying it but was not sure if it was any good. They also sell a memory manager which supposedly cleans a recovers memory....are you familiar with it? Does anyone know if it is any good?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #24
roid
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthabib View Post
Thank you so much for your reply. I was actually considering buying it but was not sure if it was any good. They also sell a memory manager which supposedly cleans a recovers memory....are you familiar with it? Does anyone know if it is any good?

I've been using it for the last week. It does seem to eliminate the memory leaks. I've found I don't have to reboot to maintain memory levels. On the app's screen (it's in the BB options menu) it provides a host of information that I honestly don't know what most of it pertains to, but there is one piece that bothers me. There is a RAM reading- this can get quite low, it was just down to 105k when I just checked; the app seems to make a point of periodically reclaiming this memory and I wonder if this is where the work is done.

I only looked at this app because I went to use it the other day and my inboxes were suddenly empty. I've been trialing it for a week now, and since it doesn't seem to slow things down at all and I've noticed less memory leakage I may pony up for it.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #25
TeritaM
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Torch
Carrier: Island of Misfit Toys

this is the thing I dislike most about this device. it is supposedly the best one on the market, but is outlapped in application space by the pearl (flip) and the curve. I didn't even bother to download app world because even after the memory edits and running a few apps, the best I can get is 36mb free after a battery pull.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #26
carlkra
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, or probably everything, here, but isn't the "device memory" essentially on the device "hard drive" whereas the application memory is really RAM? On an computer, other than having a HD cache, you can't use the hard drive as RAM. If this is the case, it is simply a matter of the amount of RAM memory the BB has that limits the number of apps than can be running at the same time. The device memory can store the apps themselves up to a GB, but can run only 40 mb or so in active RAM.

The problem, as I see it, is that many of the BB programs run in RAM all the time, whether you want them to or not, in contrast to a PC, in which you can control most of what's running in RAM.

Again, this post is meant to clarify or else get someone else to clarify the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankarlinski View Post
yes, this is basically what it is....

that being said, i also have between 20-30ish 3rd party apps, and i have almost 45-50MB of memory all the time for my apps.

that combined with my 859.2MB of on-board and my 7.6GB on my memory card make my device pretty powerful. add quicklaunch to that, and i got the fastest smokin' gun in the west. well, in illinois anyways
No, unfortunately, that's not the way it is. You cannot load programs into the device memory at all, even when they are not running.

I don't buy the security argument. The device memory is built in, not removable. The OS could place any security restrictions it cares to on this memory. I think the SW architecture is a carryover from the past and RIM will eventually modernize it to compete. In the meantime, they will say the deficiency is a feature.

Last edited by carlkra; 04-13-2009 at 05:02 PM..
Old 04-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #27
Lt_Dan87
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: At&T

How do you have 20-30 3rd party apps and have 50 MB of memory left? I have 2 third party apps and only have 35 MB MAXIMUM
Old 04-14-2009, 04:37 AM   #28
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

By removing programs you dont use i.e. (for me) BB maps, BB messenger, memopad, tasks, ALL languages that you dont use, games you dont use.
This will help free up memory as usually used by the OS.
Also running the latest helps, as the latest OS usually runs on less memory, therefore giving you more.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 04-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #29
sabrewulf
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
By removing programs you dont use i.e. (for me) BB maps, BB messenger, memopad, tasks, ALL languages that you dont use, games you dont use.
This will help free up memory as usually used by the OS.
Also running the latest helps, as the latest OS usually runs on less memory, therefore giving you more.
You shouldn't have to remove native apps. You are crippling the devices capabilities and programs by doing so. Yeah, you are grabbing more "real estate" by doing so. The point I'm trying to make is, why the hell are we forced to choose what apps we want to keep in order to provide more application memory on such a relatively new device. It's crap! Worst buy for me. You can grab my Bold at the Buy/Sell/Trade subforum.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #30
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

It depends. If you are going to install google maps because its better for you, why bother keeping BB maps installed? same with BB messenger. if none of your friends have a BB (like me) and i cant use it, theres no point in me keeping it.

also, on the languages issue, there are LOTS of languages, and I cant believe anyone would use ALL of them, so deleting the ones you don't need allows you to install stuff you do need.

I believe this is a better ability compared to the Nokia N95 I had, where it would update the OS (firmware as nokia prefers to call it) and you could remove nothing that you didnt use.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Closed Thread