Old 05-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
subseauk

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Trouble identifying Model- help needed please

Please Login to Remove!

Hi
I am trying to repair the lcd screen on my uncles Blackberry.

the box shows the model as a Curve 8520 ( Model RCG41GW )

it is on T-Mobile and has a small logo plate below the keypad with T-Mobile on it.

I have managed to replace the LCD screen and powered it up ok.

My problem is all the info i could find on how to dissasemble the phone / model to do the repair does not seem to have this logo plate fitted. It is a royal pain trying to reassemble the front panel and it don't want to break it because i am not doing something easy with this logo plate.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as it has to be something relatively easy.

With this logo plate ( that does lift but not much and does not seem to want to come off ) is this actually an 8520 model?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rgds
Kev
Old 05-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Trouble identifying Model- help needed please

What does the sticker under the battery say?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

YouTube has lots of videos for disassembly/reassembly of various models of BlackBerrys.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
subseauk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
What does the sticker under the battery say?
Hi DubDub

PRD 22578-032 Blackberry 8250 RCG41GW

Hi Rambo47

What is throwing me is this logo plate under the keypad as i have not seen one like this on all the youtube repair videos saying 8520??

cheers
Kev
Old 05-11-2011, 02:40 AM   #5
Wolf_Dreams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by subseauk View Post
Hi DubDub

PRD 22578-032 Blackberry 8250 RCG41GW

Hi Rambo47

What is throwing me is this logo plate under the keypad as i have not seen one like this on all the youtube repair videos saying 8520??

cheers
Kev
The 8520 logo clip at the bottom comes off easily. Use a safe pry tool or a strong guitar pick. Starting just below the space bar, at the upper seam of the "Logo Clip" insert the pick and work it to the left and right (slide, twist a bit, slide out a bit more until it pops away a bit, then work to the other side)

Then carefully pull the upper lip down... It will release from the rear clips as you work it down.

Follow youtube videos from there.

Many of the videos show a "Generic" clip (no brand label).

This 8520 will need a new dust screen, as its glued on to the housing after the LCD is replaced. I would order a generic external housing (C/With new screen cover) with safe pry removal tool and T5 + T6 screwdrivers from Amazon.com (the BB app available at amazon.com/bb). It's usually around $20-30 but will make the BB look like new, and get you the correct tools for BB repair and most other phones too
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by Wolf_Dreams; 05-11-2011 at 02:42 AM..
Old 05-11-2011, 04:32 AM   #6
subseauk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Dreams View Post
The 8520 logo clip at the bottom comes off easily. Use a safe pry tool or a strong guitar pick. Starting just below the space bar, at the upper seam of the "Logo Clip" insert the pick and work it to the left and right (slide, twist a bit, slide out a bit more until it pops away a bit, then work to the other side)

Then carefully pull the upper lip down... It will release from the rear clips as you work it down.

This 8520 will need a new dust screen, as its glued on to the housing after the LCD is replaced. I would order a generic external housing (C/With new screen cover) with safe pry removal tool and T5 + T6 screwdrivers from Amazon.com (the BB app available at amazon.com/bb). It's usually around $20-30 but will make the BB look like new, and get you the correct tools for BB repair and most other phones too
Thanks Wolf-Dreams

I did actually use a guitar pick to disassemble the phone to instal the new LCD screen. ( managed to destroy the screen protector by getting the pick inbetween the plastic frame and film ...no one mentioned this two part assembly on the youtube vids!!!! ). I got a new screen protector on order but after that i was concerned that this case was not normal and did not want to break the logo tab. The tab itself seemed like it was hinged as i had already managed to lift it a little but did not want to force something not designed to come off that way.
After your comments i'll give it another go and worst case scenario will end up ordering a replacement case / cover.

Cheers
Kev
Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
subseauk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Dreams View Post

Hi Wolf_Dreams

Your advice worked perfectly mate, phone is all back together just waiting on LCD screen protector panel.

Much appreciated.
Best Rgds
Kev
Closed Thread