JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingWV View Post
Has anyone else heard rumblings that GPS antennas/chips will be enabled on VzW PDAs soon? I read your link, JSanders, but I think we need an update. I was told by the VzW's customer support line just today (5/13/2008) that GPS on the 8330 should work but is broken and so is VzNavigator.

Can anyone confirm this?
So he/she was leaking you info that no one else knows about?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:55 PM   #42
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnauman View Post
Maybe the government should not allow verizon to use our GPS system
How do access the GPS otherwise? If you were not a VZW customer, had no cell phone at all?

Then do it that way.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #43
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

This thread is still open? didnt the second or third post clarify this?
Old 05-13-2008, 06:03 PM   #44
gregnauman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
How do access the GPS otherwise? If you were not a VZW customer, had no cell phone at all?

Then do it that way.
Then I have to purchase ANOTHER device when I already purchased one having a GPS receiver.
Hey if I dont want to use verizon software then OK fine, but at least let me use the hardware I already purchased with my own software so I dont have to buy a BT device or a Garmin
Old 05-13-2008, 06:05 PM   #45
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

When you bought the device you bought the ability to use GPS through VZNav. It all comes down to research + trusting the sales reps. As for Sprint, you do have unlocked gps
Old 05-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #46
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnauman
Quote:
Originally Posted by someonexh View Post
Does that internal GPS help with your dropped calls or uber fast data speeds?
With Sprint you get it all ,less dropped calls, fast data speeds, and FREE GPS.

When blackberry added a GPS to the device I dont think it was for the purpose of someone liike verizon disableing it for their own purpose of making money off it.

I am a taxpayer who payed for the GPS system and once the government allowed it to be public if I buy a device that has a GPS I expect to be able to use it.

Yeah, and that's why sprint just announced yet another loss of over one million customers this year so far. Don't get Verizon then ***** about it.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #47
kdog1176
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I thought so but some just like to blast vzw no matter what they read.
Wow. You really are the most committed Verizon kool-aid drinker on this site.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:14 PM   #48
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

well if a service works as advertised I will always stand by them if it doesn't I will be the first to blast it. So far VZW has done everything they said they would do for me and more.

I was a loyal Nextel user for over 10 years, when the calls kept getting worse and worse I had no choice but to jump ship.

Quote:

With Sprint you get it all This is the funniest statement Hey I have a question for you if your sprint service is so superior send me a MMS message

this has to be the stupidest statement I have ever heard.

I had sprint and still had lousy service thats when I started dropping more and more calls once they took over and ruined Nextel.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #49
harryzuluberries
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: DUPONT FIFTH AVENUE LARGE ORPHEO ROLLERBALL
Carrier: the Titanic

I have Sprint and use it primarily in Southern California......it's been quite fine so far. Guess this boils down to "whatever works for you."

7510>7520>7100i>8830>8330>9630
Old 05-13-2008, 10:21 PM   #50
DSS597
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Quote:
With Sprint you get it all ,less dropped calls, fast data speeds, and FREE GPS.
You left out $99 per month and you get unlimted EVERYTHING including Blackberry service (BIS) and Sprint TV, Navigation, etc.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #51
jerseykat1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: sprint

Quote:
well if a service works as advertised I will always stand by them if it doesn't I will be the first to blast it. So far VZW has done everything they said they would do for me and more.

I was a loyal Nextel user for over 10 years, when the calls kept getting worse and worse I had no choice but to jump ship.

this has to be the stupidest statement I have ever heard.

I had sprint and still had lousy service thats when I started dropping more and more calls once they took over and ruined Nextel.
Nextel sucks, they always have, sprint didn't ruin nextel iden ruined nextel. What other carrier uses iden? Why do you think sprint rolled out hybrid nextel phones (iden direct connect with CDMA voice. same CDMA as zvw and sprint roams there for free) don't blame sprint for nextels voice service problems iden was on the way out from the start. I used nextel before sprint purchased them and call quality always sucked and so did coverage. It did not get worst it just didn't evolve like gsm and CDMA. What do you think sprint took the nextel towers down? maybe you fail to realize that nextel uses a diffrent network then sprint. You do get it all with sprint BB(CDMA) is one of the few sprint phones that don't have MMS all my treos had mms but that and the lack of gps on vzw is not a deal breaker for most.
You can be a vzw fanboy if you want. But ALL sprint towers operate at 1900mhz (vzw has 700mhz and 1900mhz) which means sprint will consistantly get slightly faster data speeds in more places then any network and do so at a lower price. You would have to be a fan boy to not recognise a good deal when you see it. I am loving sprint right now. I get it all for less, and no I don't ever drop a call unless its to hang up on fanboys. That said every carrier on the market now has great call quality except nextels that use iden. Flame on fanboys...
Old 05-14-2008, 12:05 AM   #52
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

lets keep this on topic. leave Nextel out of this and jerseykat1 lets leave the rants for the appropriate forum
Old 05-14-2008, 12:21 AM   #53
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Agree'd .. LOL, Verizon won't let go of VZNav ... I have used it several times on my 8830, it's actually great software. I just don't think it's worth the $10 a month.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:23 AM   #54
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

over 75% of those that try the TeleNav pay software, keep it after the 30 day trial. The only difference is Vzw forces you to use the software, where on other networks you can use others. Thats still a ridiculous margin, and I am sure that VzNav has similar statistics
Old 05-14-2008, 07:05 AM   #55
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseykat1 View Post
Nextel sucks, they always have, sprint didn't ruin nextel iden ruined nextel. What other carrier uses iden? Why do you think sprint rolled out hybrid nextel phones (iden direct connect with CDMA voice. same CDMA as zvw and sprint roams there for free) don't blame sprint for nextels voice service problems iden was on the way out from the start. I used nextel before sprint purchased them and call quality always sucked and so did coverage. It did not get worst it just didn't evolve like gsm and CDMA. What do you think sprint took the nextel towers down? maybe you fail to realize that nextel uses a diffrent network then sprint. You do get it all with sprint BB(CDMA) is one of the few sprint phones that don't have MMS all my treos had mms but that and the lack of gps on vzw is not a deal breaker for most.
You can be a vzw fanboy if you want. But ALL sprint towers operate at 1900mhz (vzw has 700mhz and 1900mhz) which means sprint will consistantly get slightly faster data speeds in more places then any network and do so at a lower price. You would have to be a fan boy to not recognise a good deal when you see it. I am loving sprint right now. I get it all for less, and no I don't ever drop a call unless its to hang up on fanboys. That said every carrier on the market now has great call quality except nextels that use iden. Flame on fanboys...

Haha fanboy I know you are trying to get my goat but you cant. You dont get it all for 99 dollars you get most. As for nextel killing nextel you are wrong wrong worng. Before sprint took over nextel was getting better. once sprint came on board I dropped 15 out of 20 calls I have the records to show.
I have verizon 8130 and my brother has sprint 8130 mine is faster and has service where his doesnt. I have service everywhere I go he cant use his at 35% of the areas we visited.

So faster speed does nothing if you dont have service. So keep calling me a fanboy all you want. I love what works and verizon works.

VZN is a great software but like others I wont pay 10 bucks for it I just use the free service in my vehicle.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #56
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS597 View Post
You left out $99 per month and you get unlimted EVERYTHING including Blackberry service (BIS) and Sprint TV, Navigation, etc.
Dawg already debunked the "everything" theory (MMS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseykat1 View Post

I too, like Dawg was a sprint customer for years, every year I moved and got new phones.. yet I always got the SAME exact excuse from sprint, "Sir, you're JUST on the edge of our coverage area" .. three to four years in a row I managed to move around the state of VA right on the edge of the coverage area. I also had to call them months later after switching services to take off a b.s. 90day late payment thing they decided to add to my credit report. It was removed after a few phone calls.

As far as your slightly "faster" data speeds, read this:

BlackBerry Curve 8330 Face-Off: Sprint vs. Verizon Wireless

Quote:

Our Verizon Wireless unit with an EVDO connection was able to load websites an average of 2.5 seconds faster, and streamed m.youtube.com videos faster, too
Old 05-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #57
Dawg
No longer Registered.

right on the money as usual some
Old 05-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #58
TheFlyingWV

Quote:
This is another thread on ...errr... another site. I was hopeful that VzW was finally hearing all our complaints and deciding to open up GPS to all devices (like they did for the 8830.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #59
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingWV View Post
This is another thread on ...errr... another site. I was hopeful that VzW was finally hearing all our complaints and deciding to open up GPS to all devices (like they did for the 8830.
It would be nice, but... I wouldn't get my hopes up. I would love to be proved wrong.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #60
TheFlyingWV

Quote:
VZN is a great software but like others I wont pay 10 bucks for it I just use the free service in my vehicle.
Thank you for this! You should have the choice to use VzN or BB Maps. Vz is removing this choice which I'll fight against. If VzN is really superior, maybe I subscribe. But give me that choice.

And for all those other Sprint and AT&T users telling us to shut our pie hole... You obviously haven't used CDMA service. CDMA has better voice quality than GSM on average. Who cares? I do when I'm conducting business on the phone and everyone hears me clearly with out all that digitized GSM garble.
Closed Thread