Old 01-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
scher215
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Navigator

Please Login to Remove!

Is there any other navigator app. Besides vz for the storm? It continues to be not that great for me and I am very curious if there might be a replacement for it?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
Cowboyz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530

Garmin for Blackberry is awesome! U can get for $79.99 which is better than the $9.99/mo Navigator costs and i think its a better app anyway. It works great on my storm!
Old 01-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
scher215
Thumbs Must Hurt

where can you buy it at? I checked the Garmin website and found no info on buying it for the storm, and google just returned results that it was available but not where to get it?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
scher215
Thumbs Must Hurt

also....does the storm have to be unlocked for this to work? or do i have to do anything to my storm to make it work?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
Nickster248
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 2333C6FD
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scher215 View Post
also....does the storm have to be unlocked for this to work? or do i have to do anything to my storm to make it work?
You just have to be sure your Carrier has not somehow switched off your GPS, otherwise you will have to purchase a GPS dongle if you cannot get your Carrier to switch your GPS back on.

BB PIN: 2333C6FD on a Torch 9800
Old 01-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
scher215
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster248 View Post
You just have to be sure your Carrier has not somehow switched off your GPS, otherwise you will have to purchase a GPS dongle if you cannot get your Carrier to switch your GPS back on.
Im using Verizon...and other GPS apps have worked such as the police camera one and whether bug...does that mean my GPS is okay?
Old 01-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
Nickster248
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 2333C6FD
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Im using Verizon...and other GPS apps have worked such as the police camera one and whether bug...does that mean my GPS is okay?
Sounds as if your GPS is working. I believe Garmin has a free preview of their product, so why don't you give it a try. I own a standalone Garmin GPS Unit in my truck and I am very happy with it.

BB PIN: 2333C6FD on a Torch 9800
Old 01-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
Cowboyz

www8.garmin.com/mobile/blackberry/
Old 01-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
mikes2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyz View Post
Garmin for Blackberry is awesome! U can get for $79.99 which is better than the $9.99/mo Navigator costs and i think its a better app anyway. It works great on my storm!
$79?

It was $99 when I went and looked.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
rwilliamtaylor

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

I use Telenav and it's the best GPS for driving I've ever used. It's Better than the one built into my BMW and Acura and works even better than my daughters Tom Tom because it has real time traffic. I'm driving along and it says "Traffic incident ahead, push to reroute". Then it gives an alternative route with how much time you'll save and you decide if you want to keep it. It also gets real time points of interest over the internet, so no new firmware to by in a year. It costs $9.95 / month... I figure $120 / year is what it would cost to upgrade the maps on a built in car GPS (BMW want $499 for a new DVD).

It has only 2 drawbacks...

1. It requires data service on your BB, but then why would you have a BB without the data service.
2. It does not work if you can't get data service (long distance interstate driving) because it downloads POI and maps from the internet.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Is there any other navigator app. Besides vz for the storm? It continues to be not that great for me and I am very curious if there might be a replacement for it?
Check the GPS & Mapping section. There is a Sticky with a review of most of the BB map applications.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

You should try the Verizon nav, it's free for the first 30 days. I like it and it's $9.99 a month.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
Cowboyz

They were running a special for $79... It must have expired. I bought it last week for that price. Still a good deal at $99 and better than paying $10/mo since i plan on having this phone for a while.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #14
scher215
Thumbs Must Hurt

I did the Garmin free trial and I was happier with it than VZ Navigator...however, Ive decided to delete both. While it doesnt really "Navigate" , Google Maps is pretty nice...and free...and Im thinkin ill try that for awhile!
Old 01-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
SamMyers

Model: 9350
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I'm with rwilliamtaylor. Telenav is probably the best one out there. I've used both Telenav and the Garmin software on my last 3 BB's (including Storm). Garmin is pretty good, but nothing quite like Telenav. I believe Telenav even has a trial. It runs right at $10 / mo. I know it's not a "immediately" cost effective as Garmin, but most of us don't keep out phone long enough to really realize the savings. Add on top of that the quality of Telenav, and it's just plain and simple - the way to go.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
Str4pp3dwitagat

Carrier: VZW

Google maps an garmin
Old 01-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #17
Blackberry Guru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I tried TeleNav but my corporate IT policy does not let me change my permissions to "allow" my only selections are prompt and deny.

I gave them a credit card number (didn't know there was a free trial). I installed the software and couldn't get it to work. I called for support they told me I had to go to my IT department and have them set my permissions to allow. Knowing that wasn't ever going to happen I asked them to cancel my account. They said they would and I thought things were over.

Nope, this is where the story begins.

Two months of me calling now and they are still charging my card. I emailed them as well requesting a cancellation to no avail. This month I canceled my credit card and my credit card issued me a refund for the two months worth of charges. Now many people are happy with TeleNav and I'm happy with them, however my experience was less than pleasant. So I'm sticking with VZ Nav because I'm scared I'm going to lose $99 bucks if I lose my device with Garmin and it is already expensive enough. Considering this is my third storm I think I made the right choice!

I normally don't like negative posts and I don't think this is negative it is just my experience I have read a lot of great stuff about TeleNav and wouldn't want one post to stop you from giving them a shot.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #18
rwilliamtaylor

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry Guru View Post
I tried ....

Nope, this is where the story begins.

So I'm sticking with VZ Nav because I'm scared I'm going to lose $99 bucks if I lose my device with Garmin and it is already expensive enough. C.
Is Garmin tied to the phone? I moved my Telenav from my 8830 to my new storm with no charge.
Closed Thread