BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Dani Pedrosa

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default How to make my 8320 manually change network? (roaming question)

Please Login to Remove!

I have an 8320, here is my problem:
I have service with AT&T in San Diego, however, twice a week I cross the USA/Mexico Border to visit some clients in Tijuana Mexico. The phone should switch to Telcel or Movistar, but it holds on to the AT&T signal, even though the signal is so weak I can’t effectively make or receive calls. But the phone refuses to switch to the Mexican carrier, even though the Mexican carrier’s signal is much stronger, it always tries to default to AT&T. (you'd think it would default to the strongest carrier, but it doesn't)
With that said, if I drive further into Tijuana where the AT&T signal can’t reach, then the phone switches to the Mexican carrier and works perfectly.
The issue I am having is when the AT&T signal is present, but not strong enough to conduct business.
Is there a way I can force the phone off AT&T while I am in Tijuana? Is there a mode, or setting I can adjust?
I have tried Open Options > Mobile Network and see if I can change from automatic to manual selection, however my 8320, However I only have 3 options:
Data Services (on and off)
Connections preferences (Mobile network only, Preferred, Wi-Fi only and Wi-Fi Preferred)
Mobile Network: (The name of the network)
There is no option for switching from auto to manual.
Any thoughts?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
Dani Pedrosa

Model: 8320
Carrier: AT&T

I was in Tijuana today on business, and geewiz, the phone rings, it's on AT&T, but the call is dropped before I can even talk. It should change to Telcel or Movistar, but it hangs onto AT&T even though I am into Mexico 3 miles and the Mexican carriers are much stronger.
The Telcel signal is strong, but it is holding on to the AT&T signal, even though we're out of the US and it's a crap signal a few miles into Mexico (NOTE: When I go read deep into Baja California it switches to Telcel fine)
How can I manually make it switch to Telcel?
Thanks
Old 11-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I don't think you can. You can't select networks unless roaming internationally. While you're technically doing that, apparently as long as there's an at&t signal it's going to assume you're in the US. I'd call 611 and ask them. It's a carrier issue.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:03 AM   #4
Daughain
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: T-Mobile

Have you tried going into service books in advanced options and trying to uncheck the att books, and check the telcel books? I'd be curious to know if that helps.
Closed Thread