PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

when I upgraded my os/firmware mine quit getting hot. try that
Old 09-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #23
Maduma99

Model: 9000
Carrier: O2

I had problems with my Bold draining in about four hours and also getting very hot at the same time. I bought a new battery and had exactly the same thing happen to it. I have now solved the problem and have two perfectly good batteries! For some reason my Bold was storing e-mails since I first got it in February this year, so I had about 5,000 e-mails that were being stored. I deleted all these and only keep the last couple of days and rest on PC and now that batteries last a couple of days. Problem solved!!
Old 09-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #24
Jake_GT
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maduma99 View Post
I had problems with my Bold draining in about four hours and also getting very hot at the same time. I bought a new battery and had exactly the same thing happen to it. I have now solved the problem and have two perfectly good batteries! For some reason my Bold was storing e-mails since I first got it in February this year, so I had about 5,000 e-mails that were being stored. I deleted all these and only keep the last couple of days and rest on PC and now that batteries last a couple of days. Problem solved!!
How did u go about this? I think mine is doing the same thing
Old 09-09-2009, 01:16 AM   #25
eljefe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maduma99 View Post
I wish you luck with you solution, but I'm skeptical you've actually solved the problem.

My Bold, and those of my co-workers, definitely didn't have thousands (or even dozens) of mysteriously saved email messages. Yet ours exhibited the problem of going in to a cycle where the handheld would run very hot and run the battery down.

I hope I'm wrong, but I expect that in another week or two you'll see the same running hot / battery dying issue again.

I think a percentage of the Bolds that were produced had a defect, and that RIM and at&t aren't fessing up to avoid a flood of warranty replacements. My suggestion is that if you're having the overheating problem and your unit is still under warranty, get it replaced.

I recently left the job which issued me the Bold. I'm Bold-less so my problem is definitely solved, but I'll be watching this thread, out of technical curiosity, to see further developments.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #26
Thon_D
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
Default Updating Software Helped Mine

I have had my Bold for about 3 weeks now. The day I got it (Don't remember which version of OS it had) it did the overheat and run the battery down thing. I pulled the battery right away and let it cool down. It hasn't done it again since.

A couple days later I updated to .297 (The one that AT&T put up and then pulled down again) and have not had any problems since.

I got a spare battery yesterday, because this thing is such a battery hog, and installed it to charge it up. It charged just fine, no overheating at all. So my guess, and this is just a guess, is that there is an incompatibility of some kind between hardware and software. And that when you have just the right combination of OS, hardware and programs running it may cause something in the radio to "Run Away" or go into overdrive, sucking the battery dry and overheating the electronics.
Closed Thread