BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 09:57 PM   #1
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Default Definitive Guide to Installing 7100 and 7200 Themes - OS 4.0 ONLY!

Please Login to Remove!

* Note: First and foremost, many thanks to all of the people involved with laying the groundwork for the public consumption of themes installation on BlackBerry devices. This includes jaysen, jnelson2000, as well as quite a few others. I have written atleast 4 major themes topics myself (maybe more), including those on OTA installation, the BlackBerry.alx all-inclusive installation, the installation of 7100 themes on 7200 devices, and the installation of 7200 themes on 7100 devices. This will be the last installation guide for themes made by me until others are released (which I will add to this guide).

I have set up a few different methods for installation and delivery, including and OTA configuration and a option-based ALX/COD installation.

Over-The-Air:
This method allows you to download the theme directly to your handheld without using a PC. Each individual COD file has been broken down to child COD files that will range in size from about 20KB-80KB. The success rate for these files should be near 100% unless you are in a very low signal area.

ALX/COD:
I have taken the time to make an ALX file that sets a top level installation of 'BlackBerry Themes' with separate installations for each theme (see screenshot below). This method allows you to pick and choose which themes you want to install rather than forcing you to install all of the themes specified in previous ALX installations. I have both the 7100 and 7200 series in the single ALX file, but only 8 will show for either in Application Loader - one file fits all (or something like that).

The available themes are shown below on their respective handheld devices (7100g and 7290 are shown):

The themes can be found below (separated by delivery format):

Over-The-Air:
Default 7200 Small Icons - http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blac...7200_small.jad
Default 7700 Large Icons - http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blac...7700_large.jad
Default 7100 List - http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blac..._7100_list.jad
O2 7100 - http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blac...a/o2_7100x.jad
Orange France 7200 - http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blac...range_7200.jad
T-Mobile 7100 - http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blac...bile_7100t.jad
Vodafone 7200 - http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blac...afone_7200.jad
Vodafone 7100 - http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blac...fone_7100v.jad

ALX/COD:
OS 4.0
* Note: These do not work on OS 4.1 handhelds.
http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blackberry/themes.zip

Please let me know if something does not work with the installation procedures. I can only test under so many different circumstances, but hopefully there won't be any issues with any of these. I have not used my new domain all that much, so I'm not sure whether or not my hosting provider has any sort of stability for this website. If such a situation does happen to arise from this posting, I will take my business to a new hosting provider (I will not remove these links).

If anyone would like to mirror these, I will be more than happy to pass the files on to someone else. I have 100GB of bandwidth per month, so I honestly don't see it coming close to surpassing my designated limits.

* Note: To use the Orange theme on the 7100 series handhelds, you must first install the Default Small Icons theme. To use the O2 theme on the 7200 series handhelds, you must first install the Default List theme. I believe thats all of the requirements, but if all else fails, simply install until the others work.

Disclaimer: I am a very active member on this forum, and within the BlackBerry community, so I will definitely attempt to answer any and all questions, should they arise. If something goes wrong during your installation of any of these themes, and you end up having to wipe your handheld, please do not point the finger at me. These themes are provided as is and should be loaded at your own discretion.

Last edited by jibi; 04-08-2006 at 10:37 AM..
Old 08-22-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
dscott4305

Model: Bold

Looks great, jibi. I just tried to download the ALX/COD zip file but winzip says it's not a valid file type. Is it not uploaded yet as you posted your msg only 30 mins ago.

btw - what does ALX/COD mean?
thanks!
Old 08-22-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
Nextel User
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220

got it
Old 08-22-2005, 10:35 PM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

The zip file has been uploaded since long before I posted this thread, actually. I forgot to make one change to the ALX file, so I went ahead and edited it (just alphabetizing) and re-uploaded the ZIP file. Try it again and let me know. I'm using WinZip 9.0 with Normal compression (so it should be compatible across the board).

ALX - Application Loader XML (I believe; possibly Extension for the X)
COD - Code (I think)

The ALX file is basically the installation file that you load into Application Loader that feeds what should and should not be installed. You can open it up with Notepad if you want to have a look at it. The COD files are obfuscated JAR files that are proprietary to RIM and BlackBerry. Both are simply file extensions of the installation instructions and system software files for BlackBerry devices.

Last edited by jibi; 08-22-2005 at 10:37 PM..
Old 08-22-2005, 10:59 PM   #5
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Great work jibi! Question I keep getting a JVM 523 Error when I try to move an application in the application folder within the Orange theme?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:05 PM   #6
jnelson2000
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Zip is corrupt
Old 08-22-2005, 11:07 PM   #7
jnelson2000
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

By bad, ignore
Old 08-22-2005, 11:26 PM   #8
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch
Great work jibi! Question I keep getting a JVM 523 Error when I try to move an application in the application folder within the Orange theme?
no clue on that. the known issues i know of, aside from that, there are still calculator issues when using the 7200 themes on 7100 handhelds (and i'm sure vice versa). i haven't really seen any other issues, though.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:42 PM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I have the same issue with the JVM Error when trying to move applications in the Orange Theme. It works ok on the main screen but if you try to move applications in the application screen or settings screen you get an error that forces you to reboot. This is still the best I've seen since I've had my berry.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:33 AM   #10
xombi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

Odd, every time I try and download the zip file it gets as far as 266kb and then drops. Maybe its the PC, I will try it when I go home tonight!!
Old 08-23-2005, 04:53 AM   #11
jibi
BlackBerry God

tht is odd. i can email it if you have issues from home as well.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:12 AM   #12
xombi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks, will let you know!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:05 AM   #13
sustrw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

I can't download the zip file either. Same situation, download part of the file, then quits.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:25 AM   #14
jasonb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T

Man, this is awesome. Thanks jibi. I have one question though. I was able to download and install in Desktop Mgr. But, whenever I attempt an over the air install I get a HTTP 500 error. Anyone else getting this??

PIN - 202F0651
Old 08-23-2005, 09:28 AM   #15
jibi
BlackBerry God

*grumble*

I really hate hosting providers... I will do some research on these download issues. For now, until I can get the issue resolved or move hosting providers, please retry the download until it completes successfully.

For those having issues, what browser are you using and what kind of connection do you have to the net (cable, DSL, T1, etc)? Also, are you using any sort of Download Manager or firewall?

jasonb, click on Details and write out the entire message. It could very well be related to the other stuff that the others have posted about disconnects from the webserver. Also, are you using the high or low link (or is it happening on both)?

Last edited by jibi; 08-23-2005 at 09:42 AM..
Old 08-23-2005, 09:54 AM   #16
jibi
BlackBerry God

I have added an alternate download link for the zip file. Please use the original first and the alternate second, if you don't mind.

http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/themes.zip
Old 08-23-2005, 07:52 PM   #17
BoehT
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100t

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
I have the same issue with the JVM Error when trying to move applications in the Orange Theme. It works ok on the main screen but if you try to move applications in the application screen or settings screen you get an error that forces you to reboot. This is still the best I've seen since I've had my berry.
ditto and ditto.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:46 PM   #18
rterrible

Model: 7100g

wow, thanks. the ALX/COD method worked like a charm for me, and was able to get all the themes installed. funny thing is though, after cycling through all the different themes, i still like the default list one it came with best
i think it's because i like to use a funky backround image, and most of the other themes either clash with the images or are hard to see over the backround image. oh well, at least i have some different ones to change to if i get bored with the default one. thanks again.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:16 PM   #19
dscott4305

Model: Bold

I ended up just downloading the Default 7290 (Small) and am in love with it on this 7100 screen...no more wasted screen real estate with the Cingular header info spread out.

thank you very much
Old 08-24-2005, 10:56 AM   #20
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

These are awesome! i now have 8 themes on both my 7100t and my 7520. Thanks!
Closed Thread