Old 08-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
mat123
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default (Another) 8830 overseas question - SIM & GPRS

Please Login to Remove!

Going to Europe in about a month (UK, France, Germany, Netherlands)... I'm thinking of buying a Virgin mobile pay-as-you-go SIM in the UK for a SIM unlocked Verizon 8830 when I get there.

I emailed them and asked about compatibility and data access and they responded that they use a 900/1800 GSM frequency. They also gave me a bunch of GPRS WAP data settings to enter into the phone to achieve data functionality (access point, ip addresses, ports, ect).

Can I get both voice and data using Virgin? Where do I enter these GPRS WAP settings they sent? Will the blackberry data (browser, email, email accounts) work as normal?

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Your BB will be voice/text only while abroad. The data portion is not provided by these pre-paid SIMs. No email unless you can get it through WiFi.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

The OP might be able to get some limited data capabilities, but they will not include push email. Best bet for data is to get the international data plan for the time that you are gone, and then revert back to your US plan when back in the States. The Virgin card should be good for calls.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
jduffield23
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

From my experience with 8830s in Europe, they have no problems with making calls. It's the data that has issues because, at least with Sprint, you have to have a special data plan and then call an 888 number to have them do something to your SIM card. Due to being on outside networks, there is no 100% garauntee that this will work, but if done correctly, it isn't too big of a deal.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
hanhao
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: cnc

Not truexxx12290;
In chinaxxx65292;i can use CDMA 1X data plan and GPRS data plan both with local service provide.
just some tips:

1)to use CDMA, set cdma related parameters using Qpst
2)to use GPRS, just enter your web address in your browser like this:
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/?;WapGatewayAPN=your_apn;WapGatewayIP=your_ip;WapGatewayPort=your_port

doing so will activate the 8830's network connection ,gain your Ip address(use ##4357 ,you will see);
then you can use any internet related application as normal .

remember to replace your_apn/your_ip/your_port with your local parameters(ask your service provider)

Last edited by hanhao; 08-19-2008 at 09:36 PM..
Old 08-20-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Your BB will be voice/text only while abroad. The data portion is not provided by these pre-paid SIMs. No email unless you can get it through WiFi.
Thanks for saving me a few bucks. I was going to buy a pre-paid sim for my 8830 as I'll also be in France and Germany next month and wanted to use the GPS feature.

I love how our world phones barely work in the rest of the world
Old 08-20-2008, 07:36 AM   #7
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

I take mine to France and U.K twice a year and roam with Orange in France and Vodafone in the U.K with no problem. I use it for emails and incoming calls only to reduce the cost and use a prepaid sim with a 2nd phone for outgoing calls.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Thanks for saving me a few bucks. I was going to buy a pre-paid sim for my 8830 as I'll also be in France and Germany next month and wanted to use the GPS feature.

I love how our world phones barely work in the rest of the world
That is more a function of the data plans that you have than the functionality of the phone per se. Purchase the right data plan and everything will work fine. It certainly has for me.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
That is more a function of the data plans that you have than the functionality of the phone per se. Purchase the right data plan and everything will work fine. It certainly has for me.
The GPS doesn't work in Europe regardless of what data plan I have. The hardware in the phone is physically incapable of functioning on the networks there. For the record, I have the Sprint Everything plan...so there really are no plans higher anyway.

I bit the bullet and bought bluetooth Holus GPS unit to clip on my keychain. I've testing it here and it seems to work pretty well.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
The GPS doesn't work in Europe regardless of what data plan I have. The hardware in the phone is physically incapable of functioning on the networks there. For the record, I have the Sprint Everything plan...so there really are no plans higher anyway.

I bit the bullet and bought bluetooth Holus GPS unit to clip on my keychain. I've testing it here and it seems to work pretty well.
GPS is the only function that hasn't worked, and that is because the GPS is embedded in the CDMA portion of the device.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #11
Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
GPS is the only function that hasn't worked, and that is because the GPS is embedded in the CDMA portion of the device.
Then why did you tell me to get a better data plan 2 posts ago when I was complaining about the GPS not working globally?
Old 08-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
SDCromer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

The Verizon SIM card works like a champ all over Europe. Voice and data is no problem.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #13
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Then why did you tell me to get a better data plan 2 posts ago when I was complaining about the GPS not working globally?
What did I highlight?
Closed Thread