BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
snogger

Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Exclamation Identifying how users activated??

Please Login to Remove!

We are in the process of Migrating users Mail from Lotus Notes to Exchange. So we have users Wiping their data on the blackberry and reactivating to the new Exchange Blackberry server after we have migrated their mail to Exchange.

We have found that if a user has their blackberry connected to their computer after the data wipe the blackberry activates to the new Exchange BB Server without needing a password.

The issue is, we are trying to enforce a Policy to all users and those that have activated the "wrong" way get the Default policy and no matter what I try I am unable to force the Policy we are using down to them.

So I am wondering:
#1 is there a way to identify how a user activated?

#2 is there a way to prevent users from activating the "wrong" way??
Old 03-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Why is it the "wrong" way? There's no difference between a wired and a wireless activation.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Why is it the "wrong" way? There's no difference between a wired and a wireless activation.
With desktop manager installed, that will happen.

Maybe you want to block the software in Group Policy or block USB devices on PC's.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
snogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Well from what I am experiencing it is the "wrong" way as I can't force our Policy down to those users that activated by being connected compared to those that were disconnected to the computer.

After the data wipe, those disconnected from the computer had to go through the "normal" activation of entering their user name, activation password, etc.. and our Policy was enforced on the blackberry.

Those connected to their computer after a wipe, activated without needing to enter any information and the only policy downloaded to their Blackberry is the Default and I can't force any changes down to his blackberry.

We need to make sure everyone has the IT policy on their Blackberry's for security reasons and currently I have no way of knowing who is activating the "correct" way or the "wrong" way.

Thanks,
Shane Meisner
Old 03-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
snogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
With desktop manager installed, that will happen.

Maybe you want to block the software in Group Policy or block USB devices on PC's.
We need users to use the Desktop software to backup their personal data (Ring tones, Pictures, etc..) before doing a data wipe and re-activation into the new environment.

Disabling the Software or USB connection isn't an option that I could use without causing a ton of post activation work for the administrators.. OK, me since I'm the only one working the Blackberry side of the migration for 2,000+ users.

Thanks,
Shane Meisner
Old 03-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by snogger View Post

Those connected to their computer after a wipe, activated without needing to enter any information and the only policy downloaded to their Blackberry is the Default and I can't force any changes down to his blackberry.
What version BES do you have?

If on 4.1
The Admin Guide will give you details information of how to assign IT policy
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/3510/BlackBerry_Enterprise_Server_Wireless_Software_Upg rades_Administration_Guide.pdf

Last edited by knottyrope; 03-11-2010 at 03:31 PM..
Old 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
snogger

Quote:

What version BES do you have?

If on 4.1
The Admin Guide will give you details information of how to assign IT policy
Using 5.0 with the latest patches..

The thing that is concerning is it doesn't matter what I do with this user.. Change policy's, remove him from groups, re-add policy's, add him to a new group, his blackberry never receives the new policy or settings.

The easiest answer for him is to remove his account from the server, re-create it and him re-activate disconnected. But I am using him as my test case to try and catch this in the future.

The issue is, right now I can't seem to find a way to know who activated connected and who activated disconnected and therefore I have no idea who has the correct policy and who doesn't to correct it.

Thanks,
Shane Meisner
Old 03-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Maybe you should check the POLC logs for info on why it is failing.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
snogger

Quote:
Maybe you should check the POLC logs for info on why it is failing.

It's a start as I did find
SET_IT_POLICY_COMMAND, Error 0x3 "Reject Authentication Failed"

In the log file for him so now to research that.

THANKS!!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #10
besadmin23
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by snogger View Post
We are in the process of Migrating users Mail from Lotus Notes to Exchange. So we have users Wiping their data on the blackberry and reactivating to the new Exchange Blackberry server after we have migrated their mail to Exchange.

We have found that if a user has their blackberry connected to their computer after the data wipe the blackberry activates to the new Exchange BB Server without needing a password.
Do these users have Desktop manager installed for Exchange or Notes?? Problems if installed for notes still...

Also, the devices can't and won't activate automatically through the desktop manager without generating an encryption key.

These users aren't backing up then restoring after the wipe are they? You can't restore all db's on the bb if moving to another mail platform.

Last question, you say there is nothing you can do to sent the new policy, but I wonder if these devices are really activated or not. Can they send and receive mail on the Exchange server now?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #11
snogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by besadmin23 View Post
Do these users have Desktop manager installed for Exchange or Notes?? Problems if installed for notes still...

Also, the devices can't and won't activate automatically through the desktop manager without generating an encryption key.

These users aren't backing up then restoring after the wipe are they? You can't restore all db's on the bb if moving to another mail platform.

Last question, you say there is nothing you can do to sent the new policy, but I wonder if these devices are really activated or not. Can they send and receive mail on the Exchange server now?
The original user is in Manila right now so I have to wait for them to return to test other options.

To answer your questions..

Users are installing the Desktop manager to backup their personal data (Ringtones, pictures, etc) before they do the data wipe and activation into the Exchange environment.

I was at a users desk who had his blackberry connected to his computer to back up the data.
After using Desktop manager to backup his personal data, he did the data wipe and started the Activation.

As I watched him go through the steps, he choose "I want to use a work E-mail account" The next thing we knew it jumped right to the Activation screen without requesting an Activation password.

Both users were then able to send and receive e-mails without any issues.
I was unable to force policy's or any other settings down to them.

For the 2nd user I had him disconnect from the computer, redo the data wipe and activation then required a password and the Policy was pushed down from the server.

When the first user returns from Manila I'll take the time to investigate the error log in the Policy logs and try once again to force the IT Policy down to his Blackberry.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #12
jjbova
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I know it's not the "easiest" solution, but you said you were 5.0, right? Why can't you just check under the devices section, and do a search on the time from of the new install until now, and see who did a wireless activation (disconnected). Export a list of those users, and export a list of all the activated users on your BES, and compair the lists? You can even put it in Excel, or use "WinDif" with them in a TXT, and it will show you all users that didn't do a wireless activation.

Again I know it's not the easiest idea, but it might work out easier for you than digging through the logs.
Closed Thread