BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #41
azfxstb

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Black & Yellow

Please Login to Remove!

Ok received my door and "Skinless" case today.

Here it is in a nutshell
1.Rubber feel is not as "soft" feeling as the OEM sides but VERY close.
2. Color match is close only in direct sunlight can you see a difference (the Seidio is a little chocolate is sunlight)
3. The rubberized coating has 3 VERY small bubble spots in the finish (QAQC issue)
4. Fit is great
5. Speaker does sound much better with the grill on the back
6. They didn't use the foam sticker on the inside of the door like on the OEM (for 14.95 they should have) and I think it makes it feel cheap without it. I liked that addition on the Curve over my pearl.
7. Don't use a maker to cover the Logo it looks retarded if you do
8. The mirror is a stick on and sticks out WAY to far and will get all scratched up while setting your curve down on its back

Last edited by azfxstb; 10-25-2007 at 03:03 PM..
Old 10-26-2007, 01:00 AM   #42
spblat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mo

azfxstb, you make me wonder if I should have waited before I ordered my door.

I wonder if a piece of double sided mirror tape would help with the missing foam (just remove one backing, not both)?

Since the logo looks lame now that you've scribbled on it, how about trying some sandpaper on it and reporting the results?

What if you peel the stick-on mirror off altogether? I'd be fine without a mirror.

Mine will arrive in about 5 days. I suspect many others will have posted their impressions by then.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:31 AM   #43
Ramsy

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I too received my replacement battery door today and generally agree with Azfxstb's assessment.

My opinion is in general, the fit is ok, it is not perfect, as the seam lines between the door and the side of the Curve are not as good as when the OEM back door is on the Curve - the top of the door seems to sit a tad high which causes the door to not look flush with the side of the phone.

I also agree that the mirror is very hokie looking. It is a silver button that protrudes out of the battery door. It looks and feels like a button that should be pushed - like a third convenience key. After a few hours of use, the mirror is already scratched up on my door. They would have been better leaving it off.

As for sound volume, I don't know if I really actually discern better sound quality. With the OEM door, I can direct my speaker sound by aiming the phone as the speaker opening is at the top of the phone. So, if someone to my right needs to hear my speakerphone better, I can turn my Curve to the right. With the Seidio speaker opening, the phone works much like the 8700 - it needs something to reflect off - as the sound is better in my opinion if the phone is sitting on a solid surface and the sound is reflecting off the solid surface. Also, with the Seido door, the sound also looses some of its bass - play a song and cover and uncover the Seidio speaker opening with your finger and I can descern different bass levels in the music. So, my guess is that RIM designed the Curve specifically for reflected sound, not direct sound - much like Bose speakers.

The Seido door also seems to attract finger smudges easily, or at least easier then the rubber sides of the phone. Seido did not use the same rubber material for their door as RIM used for the sides of the Curve. Thus, I find myself rubbing away finger smudges from the door in much the same way I rub smudges off the LCD screen.

Lastly, while I too was thinking that Seidio should have put the foam tape on the inside of the door like the OEM battery door, the missing foam tape is not a major problem as the battery still sits in the phone very tight.

However, all in all, this Seidio door might suit my needs. I have deceided to carry my Curve without a case and only with a screen protector. Therefore, the rubber non-slip back of the Seido phone is better then the smooth slick OEM door, especially in the car.

These are my initial impressions after having used the door now for a few hours.

Last edited by Ramsy; 10-26-2007 at 01:43 AM..
Old 10-26-2007, 06:57 AM   #44
psyct1

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask

I also got my door yesterday and i must say that as usual, i'm very pleased with the door...
Old 10-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #45
dbo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Default mediocre cover

I'm in agreement with Ramsey - the fit is not great (seams are not tight) and the mirror looks cheap and amateurish. I do think the sound is better than with the original cover and I like the grip and texture more in my hand, so I'll keep it. But overall, it's not what it could have been.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #46
dougng
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: TMo

I'm with everyone else here. I REALLY wanted to like this thing. However, three minutes after putting it on and taking a look at it, I boxed it back up and will send it back. The door does not sit flush with the rest of the edges around it. It sticks out and looks the edges of the door will be an area that invites rubbing off of the surface. The mirror looks like an afterthought or an accessory you'd pick up for your phone in Chinatown.

I might have been able to deal with it if the rubberized hard case that came with the combo had a better fit and finish, but the front part of the case has a bit of excess rubber on the left side and is causing a lip to form where the seam is.

Overall, not happy and will be pursuing a refund.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #47
xlr8b4u

Model: 8800
Carrier: Tmobile

verry niceee..
just ordered it
Old 10-27-2007, 05:44 PM   #48
azfxstb

One of the hook tabs on the top already broke through normal use..what a POS.. VERY BAD I do not recommend at all.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:55 PM   #49
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Ok so what's the verdict? buy or not?

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 10-27-2007, 11:13 PM   #50
spblat

Carrier: T-Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash24 View Post
Doesn't look like a positive verdict. I'll post a review when mine arrives in a few more days. Like dougng I want to like mine.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:45 PM   #51
azfxstb

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash24 View Post
It is NOT worth 14.95 its worth 5-7 bucks maybe TOPS
Old 10-28-2007, 01:10 AM   #52
whodey1991

Model: 9000

I have to echo the disappointment. Got mine Friday and already have stopped using it. The fit is not right, especially at the top of the phone. I wouldn't recommend it and would send mine back if I didn't throw the box away.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:52 AM   #53
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'd actually like to get an all black back that did not have any openings on it at all and would cover the camera up.

I sent them an email regarding this, but haven't heard anything for about a week now.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:04 AM   #54
grandad

Carrier: Orange UK

Hmm, ordered mine last night before seeing the reviews - I really hope it isn't so bad what with the EU price weighting for delivery upping the cost!
Can the mirror be removed without damaging the back of the cover?
(Who needs a mirror?).
Old 10-28-2007, 07:17 AM   #55
mshykind

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

I agree with most of the other reviews. The fit is terrible...the sides near the top are not flush, and if you are putting it in and out of your jeans pockets, it gets caught on the pocket of your jeans. I am going to see if I can upgrade this to the hybrid case.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:04 AM   #56
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I have much experience with Seidio products, not only those for the BlackBerry products, but those for the Palm Treo and Samsung BlackJack smartphones as well...and although they are innovative and unique...they almost always have quality-control as well as fit/finish issues. Since they are really the only company out there that caters exclusively to the smartphone market...it's a shame that Seidio hasn't stepped their game up to a higher level. We are still seeing great looking & sounding products, that just don't cut the mustard at the end of the day...after we have spent our money and ordered the products in good faith.

Shame on you, Seidio...
Old 10-28-2007, 08:18 AM   #57
speed4tu
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have been waiting for this product, but after hearing the reviews I'm not so sure that I want it any longer :(
Old 10-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #58
dietcoke

Model: dCoke
Carrier: o2

I held off because i also bought some of their products in the past and the quality was also an issue. There products don't last 4 months when babied.

would be nice if otterbox came out with some of these ideas, products. Would love to have rubber grips built into the back of the battery door.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:42 AM   #59
azfxstb

Funny how they (Seidio) were here to say it was coming and when it would ship but not a peep once everyone has seen it SUCKS
Old 10-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #60
seidioseidio
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

Effectively immediately, Seidio will take this product out of market. We will look into the feedbacks and response As soon as possible.

Sorry for any inconvenience it may cause.

Seidio
Closed Thread