BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:26 PM   #1
ecklesweb

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default what's the trick to connect wifi?

Please Login to Remove!

I've both followed my nose and read the instruction manual in addition to looking at the faqwiki and don't seem to be having any luck. I'm trying to connect to wifi, and have failed (in different ways) to connect to two networks.

The closest I got was at an open t-mobile hotspot at the local starbucks. When I turn on wifi there, the status icon in the "manage connections" screen was a yellow dot with a minus sign, which doesn't seem to be ref'd in the instruction manual. The wifi logo on the home screen did not turn blue. The wifi diagnostics showed "association", a local IP address, a signal level, data rate, and connected status. There was some sort of error in the VPN section that I didn't pay attention to since as far as I know I'm not trying to use VPN. I was unable to ping google.com.

The other network I completely failed to connect to is an old Apple Airport card in my iMac that I use to share my broadband internet connection. I just got an unexplained network error with that.

The last network I have to try is my work, which is WPA secured.

Any tips for getting this stuff to work?

Thanks,

Jay
Old 12-22-2007, 12:16 AM   #2
ecklesweb

Maybe this is my night for being a noob - am I reading correctly that the hotspots at starbucks are not open (i.e., free), but are subscription based? That would explain why I couldn't connect fully there...
Old 12-22-2007, 12:19 AM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

You can connect, but when you try to use the browser it takes you to a login screen.

I don't believe the WiFi works with the Mac Airport. I think there are lots of threads on that.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:37 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Starbucks (TMobile Hotspots) are free for TMobile Blackberrys but, sorry, I don't think they're free for AT&T BB's.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:35 AM   #5
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 05:54 PM..
Old 12-22-2007, 01:43 AM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

But you can access the internet over UMA.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:56 PM   #7
ecklesweb

Default gave up

For what it's worth, I gave up on the 8820. I traded it in for an AT&T Tilt today after failing to connect to four separate wifi networks with the 8820 (home w/WEP, starbucks tmo/open, work w/WPA-enterprise, work guest network w/WPA-personal). I got the Tilt and was immediately able to connect to my home network without issue.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #8
bushmills77

Carrier: Orange

Hey,

I am new to BB use and could do with some help please. I have a 8820 on Orange in the UK. Initially BB Maps was not on the device and I had to download it from the BB website. Is there a way to have the Map Data stored on the device itself rather than have it streamed by the Network provider? Is it a normal function of BB Maps to have the data streamed rather than stored on the device, or have Orange removed the facility to do this?

Additionally I have a home Wi-Fi network setup and have tried to use this to download the software, but to no avail. The Wi-Fi symbol shows as yellow in the 'Manage Connections' facility, and the Wi-Fi logo shows as light blue on the desktop rather than black. Is there something I am missing? My network configuration uses a PSK and WPA security configuration. I have set up a profile in my device, but there is still limited functionality. Is this Orange playing silly beggars again?
Old 12-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
bushmills77

Carrier: Orange

Hey,

I have a home Wi-Fi network setup and have tried to use this to no avail. The Wi-Fi symbol shows as yellow in the 'Manage Connections' facility, and the Wi-Fi logo shows as light blue on the desktop rather than black. Is there something I am missing? My network configuration uses a PSK and WPA security configuration. I have set up a profile in my device, but there is still limited functionality. My router is a DrayTek Vigor 2800VG.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

First, all the mapping programs stream data from the network. There aren't yet any that will load the map data to the device or to an SD card.

As far as your issues with wifi, I can't tell you for sure. Have you tried the FAQ's? Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ there is an entire section for wifi/uma.
Closed Thread