BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Torch earpiece speaker volume...better with new OS builds?

Please Login to Remove!

I am attempting to make a comeback to BlackBerry after being an iPhone 4 user for most of the last year...and have a new 9800 Torch coming in the mail, that should be here tomorrow.

I've had the Torch before, and returned it after only 3-days because the OS was laggy and the earpiece speaker volume was so low on incoming calls that I could barely hear the person on the other end.

I know that some updated OS builds have the Torch running much smoother and quicker...but have any been successful in making the earpiece speaker louder? I mean a LOT LOUDER?

I hope so. I really want to come back to "the light"...and really don't like the small screen of the 9700/9780 anymore after being spoiled to a larger display.

Last edited by davistld01; 04-10-2011 at 09:21 AM..
Old 04-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Default Re: Torch earpiece speaker volume...better with new OS builds?

Over a hundred hits...no comment. Can anyone tell me if the volume has or has not improved with the last few OS updates...or what?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Wolf_Dreams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
Over a hundred hits...no comment. Can anyone tell me if the volume has or has not improved with the last few OS updates...or what?
It may have been a glitch. Almost 50% of the intial release torch owners had problems with faulty hardware and OS problems.

The newer versions are much better. Plus there have been like 5 OS updates since then.

I believe the latest is 6.0.0.450. So, it should be much better.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 04-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Dreams View Post
It may have been a glitch. Almost 50% of the intial release torch owners had problems with faulty hardware and OS problems.

The newer versions are much better. Plus there have been like 5 OS updates since then.

I believe the latest is 6.0.0.450. So, it should be much better.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Good to hear. I have a new one that should be on my doorstep tomorrow afternoon...hope it's rock solid.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
tumblingdice

Model: Torch
Carrier: AT&T

I didn't like the volume of the earpiece at all at first. After a few weeks and a few OS upgrades it is either better or I got used to it. Not sure which. At first I did more speakerphone which was a bit better. I'm thinking it's better but loud background noise may be an issue but then again it's that way with pretty much any phone.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumblingdice View Post
I didn't like the volume of the earpiece at all at first. After a few weeks and a few OS upgrades it is either better or I got used to it. Not sure which. At first I did more speakerphone which was a bit better. I'm thinking it's better but loud background noise may be an issue but then again it's that way with pretty much any phone.
Well, volume is a dealbreaker with me. I have some damage to my "phone ear" from a martial arts injury as a youngster...and some phones (Sony Ericsson, some Motorolas...) are simply not loud enough for me.

I got my first Torch the day after release day...and returned it three days later because of the volume and the laggy OS. I've tried to go back to the 9700/9780 from my iPhone 4, and I'm too spoiled to a larger screen to go back to such a small one...which is a shame, since the speaker volume in those two phones (and the 9000 Bold as well) are more than adequate.

I'm hoping that I don't find myself returning the one I'm getting today. I plan on updating the OS to 6.0.0.526 as soon as it comes out of the box, so I'll have the most recent build from the get-go. We'll see...
Old 04-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
dragonryder
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
Well, volume is a dealbreaker with me. I have some damage to my "phone ear" from a martial arts injury as a youngster...and some phones (Sony Ericsson, some Motorolas...) are simply not loud enough for me.

I got my first Torch the day after release day...and returned it three days later because of the volume and the laggy OS. I've tried to go back to the 9700/9780 from my iPhone 4, and I'm too spoiled to a larger screen to go back to such a small one...which is a shame, since the speaker volume in those two phones (and the 9000 Bold as well) are more than adequate.

I'm hoping that I don't find myself returning the one I'm getting today. I plan on updating the OS to 6.0.0.526 as soon as it comes out of the box, so I'll have the most recent build from the get-go. We'll see...
Mine is from AT&T and it came with the .246 OS. I upgraded within a week to .448 and the speaker volume was corrected. AT&T just made the .278 OS available for upgrade but I have no idea what that one does. I just upgrade to .526 OS and still have good volume.
And yes, the .448 and .526 are not releases by AT&T. The .448 is an official release from RIM, and the .526 is a "leaked" upgrade.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:50 AM   #8
famba

Model: 9630
Carrier: busnessman

i have one here speaker not working at all i need tu use loudspeaker
Closed Thread