Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES
Default STERN WARNING: Don't Trust Google Sync

Please Login to Remove!

Context: advanced user, having used BB, BES and Outlook for years.

Google Sync is an utter disaster, at least when used with BES.

It has consistently either created dupes (up to 10 per contact) or without rhyme or reason deleted hundreds of contacts from my BB.

The software is an unmitigated disaster. This idea of Google putting out early crappy software and letting the chips fall where they may is coming apart at the seams and I think we'll see an acceleration of this in over the next couple years.
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 08-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Anything should be suspect when used on a device connected to BES and having an IT Policy. Are you sure the problem is caused by Google and not by the IT Policy or some other application on the device?

I have been using Google Sync to keep my calendars in sync on my BB, MacBook, and 3 different PCs and laptops. Works great and without a hitch. I do get an occasional dupe, but it is usually my fault, not Google's.

Works great, not broken, doesn't need fixing.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

No IT policy causing a problem. Sync will work PERFECTLY from time to time, then it falls apart, either creating huge numbers of dupes, or erasing contacts.

Considering the net is utterly littered with complaints about this very problem, I'm pleasantly surprised that it's working for you and hope to learn from your experience.

By any chance, do you reboot your BB often? Iterative software such as sync software with bugs can benefit from reboots. Also, do you sync automatically or manually?
Old 08-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
angelbear1973
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
No IT policy causing a problem. Sync will work PERFECTLY from time to time, then it falls apart, either creating huge numbers of dupes, or erasing contacts.

Considering the net is utterly littered with complaints about this very problem, I'm pleasantly surprised that it's working for you and hope to learn from your experience.

By any chance, do you reboot your BB often? Iterative software such as sync software with bugs can benefit from reboots. Also, do you sync automatically or manually?
I had the same issues as you and got very frustrated with it.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post

I reboot when needed, once a month maybe. But I don't run a lot of apps and don't use it for any exotic things like Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, etc.

Just the normal stuff, phone, email, calendar, contacts, a few TMs, surf a bit.

Google sync is set to run every hour or so. Varies by which device we talk about. MacBook is set for 15 minutes. Some is two way, others are just one way from Google to the device itself (PC).

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 08-23-2009 at 04:16 PM..
Old 08-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

i have used it for quite some time with no problems
Old 08-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

If it's working "with no problems" are you using it with BES (like the OP) or without?
Old 08-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
cpspeedster

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

That software is trouble. Those of you using it that report no problems, be very carefull. Go in your contacts, put in a birthday, watch google sync remove the birthday from your native calendar right before your eyes. It will happen within 2 minutes. Its bad news, I used it for a year without knowing what it was doing. Scary
Old 08-25-2009, 01:25 AM   #9
ctibbsaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile

I have been using on both my 8320 and 8900 on a BIS with no issues at all for over a year or more. Love the app and no complaints. My old berry on a BES would have all kinds of issues with third party apps from the IT policies.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #10
pshift
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ...
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)

Synching issues have to be taken apart connection by connection. I only allow 2-way sync between 2 computers and 1-way sync between all others. I keep 4 devices synched with multiple calendars with no problems from google, hotmail, and running BIS via my carrier. I only allow 1-way sync between google and hotmail, I use 2-way sync between my 8330 and Outlook. Dupes are almost always caused by an interru[tion in the sync process (aborted connection), or by incorrect settings somewhere.

I too like to blame software but for some unexplained reason, I find that most of the time, operator error is to blame, whether we wish to admit it or not.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #11
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshift View Post
Synching issues have to be taken apart connection by connection.
No they don't - not if the software proposes to just work. Sync implies handling conflicts as they occur and not overwriting data without permission unless preset otherwise.

Exchange does this flawlessly with Outlook without any "connection by connection" acrobatics.

Mail clients do it flawlessly with IMAP to multiple devices.

BES does it between the Blackberry and corporate mail elegantly, and without a hitch.

In contrast, Google sync deletes data, causes multiple dupes, doesn't handle addresses, overwrites fields inexplicably, and so on.

Quote:
I only allow 2-way sync between 2 computers and 1-way sync between all others. I keep 4 devices synched with multiple calendars with no problems from google, hotmail, and running BIS via my carrier. I only allow 1-way sync between google and hotmail, I use 2-way sync between my 8330 and Outlook. Dupes are almost always caused by an interru[tion in the sync process (aborted connection), or by incorrect settings somewhere.
That doesn't address the original post. Please re-read. Note the word "BES"

Quote:
I too like to blame software but for some unexplained reason, I find that most of the time, operator error is to blame, whether we wish to admit it or not.
In this case, you're just plain wrong and frankly, your comment's insinuation is not appreciated, especially considering you didn't read the OP enough to understand it.

Last edited by kurichan; 08-27-2009 at 09:52 AM..
Old 08-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Let's play nice everyone, please.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #13
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Let's play nice everyone, please.
We have testy folks all over the boards today don't we JS?
Old 08-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Google Sync for Calendar on a BES-enabled device is a complete cluster****.
If you're lucky enough to get it to work right a few times, then I suggest saying a prayer every day to keep up your stroke of good luck... because it will eventually fail and most likely cause you many headaches.

Here's an indicator of how bad the Google Sync software behaves:
Have you ever tried to simply Sign Out of Google Sync app on the device? You basically can't. It gives you two options when you try to Sign Out... 'Remove All Sync'd Items' or 'Stay Signed In'. What kind of crap is that!?

My advice... avoid it if you're on a BES. It's not worth the trouble it causes.

Last edited by penguin3107; 08-27-2009 at 01:43 PM..
Old 08-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshift View Post
Synching issues have to be taken apart connection by connection. I only allow 2-way sync between 2 computers and 1-way sync between all others. I keep 4 devices synched with multiple calendars with no problems from google, hotmail, and running BIS via my carrier. I only allow 1-way sync between google and hotmail, I use 2-way sync between my 8330 and Outlook. Dupes are almost always caused by an interru[tion in the sync process (aborted connection), or by incorrect settings somewhere.

So what's your experiences with a BES-enabled device + Google Sync? Specifically, a BES-enabled handheld with OS 4.7.1.x.
Just curious to see how you've managed to keep it working smoothly.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
proussak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

I'm just a non-techie BIS user but I find Google Sync works great for my Calendar. On the other hand, I don't let it anywhere near my contacts (it creates endless dupes and removes items arbitrarily as described), although I think the problem is with Google Contacts as much as the sync software .
Old 08-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #17
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by proussak View Post
I'm just a non-techie BIS user but I find Google Sync works great for my Calendar. On the other hand, I don't let it anywhere near my contacts (it creates endless dupes and removes items arbitrarily as described), although I think the problem is with Google Contacts as much as the sync software .
+1. I have found that Google Sync creates duplicates if a contact has multiple email addresses or phone numbers. For instance, for one of my contacts, I had one email address for her on my BB, another in my Gmail, and she put a third as her email address in Facebook. I start using GS and voila - three contact entries for her, each with a different email address. (For all GS knows, that was 3 different people with the same name.)

No big deal, I moved the extra email entries to my BB contact entry, deleted the duplicates for her and re-Synced. Problem solved; contact info is now correct on the BB and in Google Contacts, and FB recognizes it also - it's importing her FB profile photo as the caller ID photo for her.

I can see how there might be a problem on BES where you don't have complete control over your contact lists and may not be able to delete entries without them being overwritten.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #18
Jaime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: Claro Chile

I dumped Outlook thanks to Google Sync. Latest version is working flawlessly for me.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #19
Socialblackberry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: vzw

I have had really good luck with google sync so far ..not on a bes though
Old 08-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #20
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

I don't understand the need for Google Sync while on BES. Why not just sync one way to Google once in a while?
Closed Thread