BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
ralsan2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Using a tmobile SIM card in an unlocked ATT curve = Poor Reception?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys

I'm using a tmobile SIM card in an unlocked ATT curve. I got my curve before tmobile had it that's y mine is att. I hate the reception HATE IT HATE IT.. I get dropped calls all the time. It's been almost a year now but I've been ignoring this problem because I use my BB for emailing and texting more often than calling. But now I want to know if this problem is because I'm not using a tmobile blackberry or is the curve's reception bad regardless of the carrier? I want to get a BOLD but I don't think that tmobile will have it any time soon. Again att will have it first. And I might make the same mistake that I did with the curve.

Any insights about coverage and reception with unlocked blackberries??

Many thanks
Old 07-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

It could be that T-Mobile service is simply just bad in your area. I wouldn't blame it on the unlocked BB.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Ophidian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralsan2 View Post
Hi guys

I'm using a tmobile SIM card in an unlocked ATT curve. I got my curve before tmobile had it that's y mine is att. I hate the reception HATE IT HATE IT.. I get dropped calls all the time. It's been almost a year now but I've been ignoring this problem because I use my BB for emailing and texting more often than calling. But now I want to know if this problem is because I'm not using a tmobile blackberry or is the curve's reception bad regardless of the carrier? I want to get a BOLD but I don't think that tmobile will have it any time soon. Again att will have it first. And I might make the same mistake that I did with the curve.

Any insights about coverage and reception with unlocked blackberries??

Many thanks
When you say dropped calls, are you referring to a problem where, during the middle of the conversation, you can't hear them, and they can't hear, you.... but the call is still connected?

If so, it's an OS issue, and you need to upgrade your OS.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
ralsan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
It could be that T-Mobile service is simply just bad in your area. I wouldn't blame it on the unlocked BB.
I have a Nokia and it works fine in my area. Only the blackberry is driving me crazy.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
ralsan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
When you say dropped calls, are you referring to a problem where, during the middle of the conversation, you can't hear them, and they can't hear, you.... but the call is still connected?

If so, it's an OS issue, and you need to upgrade your OS.
That's exactly what happens. How do I upgrade my OS? I got the curve last October and it was like this ever since I got it.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
Ophidian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
That's exactly what happens. How do I upgrade my OS? I got the curve last October and it was like this ever since I got it.
I had the exact same problem (AT&T 8300 on T-Mob)

Follow the instructions in this thread:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tml#post865372

That will fix the problem.

Glad I could help. I know how frustrating that problem was.
In case you're wondering, I'm running 4.5 and haven't had the problem with it either, so you won't have to worry about it when it's officially released.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #7
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

I also am on TMO and have an unlocked AT&T Curve. It works fine. No probs at all and reception is great.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
Ophidian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrolldf View Post
I also am on TMO and have an unlocked AT&T Curve. It works fine. No probs at all and reception is great.
For those of us that had this problem, it was a regional issue. It was fairly prevalent in Dallas, Chicago, and a couple other places (it's been about a year since this issue was resolved- so the memory is a bit faded)

I'm also going to assume you're referring to your 8310 as your Curve, but the problem was with 8300 Curve's since they had an older OS. (hence why I told the OP to upgrade his OS)

Last edited by Ophidian; 07-04-2008 at 10:54 PM..
Old 07-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
ralsan2

Quote:
I had the exact same problem (AT&T 8300 on T-Mob)

Glad I could help. I know how frustrating that problem was.
In case you're wondering, I'm running 4.5 and haven't had the problem with it either, so you won't have to worry about it when it's officially released.
I'm downloading the software.. Cant wait to see the results! I will let you know if it works.. THANK U SO MUCH!!
Old 07-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
ralsan2

Quote:
For those of us that had this problem, it was a regional issue. It was fairly prevalent in Dallas, Chicago, and a couple other places (it's been about a year since this issue was resolved- so the memory is a bit faded)

I'm also going to assume you're referring to your 8310 as your Curve, but the problem was with 8300 Curve's since they had an older OS. (hence why I told the OP to upgrade his OS)
I'm in Chicago. And I have the 8300 not the 8310. I'm upgrading my OS now and will see what happens. I really hope it works. When was this upgrade released for the 8300? Because I kept asking tmobile people and they kept saying that it had to be my unlocked att phone that is causing a conflict with the tmobile SIM. I'm glad I finally posted the problem here.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #11
ralsan2

Quote:
I found the 4.5 software in one of the other threads (Latest OS: 8300 4.5.0.52/4.5.0.37 (East Asia).. Should I go for it?
Old 07-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #12
Ophidian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I found the 4.5 software in one of the other threads (Latest OS: 8300 4.5.0.52/4.5.0.37 (East Asia).. Should I go for it?
Yeah, I ran that software for a while and had no problems with it
Old 07-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #13
ralsan2

Even with the Tmobile SIM? I read that its risky.

I could not install the software (4.2) after the download was finished. I keep getting an error message whenever I open the file. What could be the problem?
Old 07-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #14
Ophidian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

I could not install the software (4.2) after the download was finished. I keep getting an error message whenever I open the file. What could be the problem?
I could (probably) be wrong.. but I think the afflicted SIM cards were only with 8320's.

Anyways, I haven't had any SIM card issues with that 4.5 version.

Did you delete the vendor.xml file for the 4.2 OS? That could definitely cause an issue.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #15
ralsan2

I think I knw how to fix the installation error. Found it on google.. Will follow their steps and get back to u!
Old 07-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #16
finnk

Model: 8820
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
I'm in Chicago. And I have the 8300 not the 8310. I'm upgrading my OS now and will see what happens. I really hope it works. When was this upgrade released for the 8300? Because I kept asking tmobile people and they kept saying that it had to be my unlocked att phone that is causing a conflict with the tmobile SIM. I'm glad I finally posted the problem here.
Yeah seems the reps always give you a line about unlocking. People at my local store keep telling me "you should not know how to do that". I switch SIMs all the the time and has little effect on reception, certain carriers are just plain bad in my area.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #17
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Because I kept asking tmobile people and they kept saying that it had to be my unlocked att phone that is causing a conflict with the tmobile SIM.
If you let any carrier's support group know that you're using an unlocked device they will blame the unlocked device as a scapegoat.

Quote:
Where did you read that? It's not an issue.

Last edited by takeshi; 07-07-2008 at 10:05 AM..
Old 07-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #18
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900

I am running .42 on my unlocked 8310 and using a T-Mobile SIM card.* All is fantastic.* When I had my T-Mobile 8320 and ran .37, I fried my SIM card.* I have not ran into any issues with my current setup.

How did the installation go?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #19
ralsan2

Hi all and thank you so much for all this help. I'm really grateful!

Ok here's the latest:
- I spent 2 days trying to install the new desktop manager on my laptop. It took me 2 days before I decided to do it on another laptop. That finally worked. One problem that I had on both laptops was the Installshield error. I finally figured out that I needed to download a specific number (9) of the IsScript engine to be able to install both the desktop manager and the OS.
- I installed the 4.2 on my blackberry and so far so good I haven't had dropped calls today but it's too soon to judge it. I need a week to test the new software. But I'm optimistic.
- Back to why it took me 2 days to install the new desktop manager: stupid Roxio Media Manager. This thing is a nightmair. Who ever created it should be sued. Seriously! I've read that I'm not the only one getting the repeated RMM errors (1500=another installation in process, 1316=unable to find certificate file, 1706=a valid source could not be found). I tried all the suggestions on this thread
http://www.blackberryforums.com/medi...ml#post1002084
with no luck. I don't know what more can I do. I'm almost going to dump my laptop in the trash. Can't handle it anymore. As I type I have 3 error messages blinking on my screen (minimzed). I can't get rid of them no matter what I do. One says: Please wait while Windows configures RMM, another says unable to find a certificate file and the third one says Windows installer waiting to install. Of couse nothing is happening! It just keeps it that way so I can't install anything else!
I'm helpless and on the verge of getting an iphone just to save myself from this misery.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #20
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Yup -- we all highly recommend not installing Media Manager. It's a bloated and flakey app. There are other more reliable apps for media conversion and Mass Storage Mode works very well for transferring files over to the media card.
Closed Thread