Carrier: tmoblie

Please Login to Remove!

hi guys , can get XM on my 8220 yet ?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:04 PM   #22
Boomer143

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I am having the same problem too! It is absolutely ridiculous. After I use any launcher icon, if I use the "Browser" icon, my "Go to" function is disabled. If I go "home" it takes me back to the facebook download site where it asks me if I'd like to replace v1.2.0 with v1.2.0 -- I also use the facebook application, and I notice that during these periods (where the browser is messed up), the facebook app doesn't work correctly. I get no messages or anything. The only thing that seems to work is to reinstall facebook, and then only use the stock Browser icon to access the internet. I recently figured out it was the launcher apps, so I'm hoping this eliminates the problem. I still, however don't understand why it doesn't work correctly in the first place.

Btw, I have called verizon about this and gone into their store. They looked at me like I was crazy.

If anyone has a more permanent solution to this issue, I'm all ears.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:28 PM   #23
UncleMike
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: ch me, I must be dreaming

I've been following this thread not because I have this problem, or think I can help, but because it's a curious problem. Twice I have seen mention of a "launcher shortcut" or "launcher icon", which is pretty vague. What are these launcher things? Where/how did you get them? Have you contacted the author or source for help? More specifics may help others help you.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #24
rajones19
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

UncleMike - If I go to The Detroit News, New York Times, ESPN, Weather.com, or any number of other sites, they offer BlackBerry users a desktop shortcut to their site. You download this very small app, and it puts an icon on your desktop which gives you one-click access to their particular web site. It's very convenient. I probably have 10 or so of them - but any one of them will cause the problem I've been describing. They are authored by different people, so it doesn't appear to be one person's coding glitch. I've not bothered going to the Verizon support folks because I was SURE I'd get the same response Boomer describes above.

Boomer143 - This isn't a complete fix, but I've been doing this all week since discovering it last weekend, and it's at least made the situation tolerable. If I use one of those shortcuts, the problem only exists while I'm in that browser session. It also remains if I exit the browser using the red 'hangup' button, or 'switch application' from the pop-up menu. If I use the 'escape' button (to the right of the trackball) and back my way out until the browser closes, the problem vanishes - Until I next use the launcher icon. I don't know if I'm describing this so that it makes sense. Basically, if I click that right-hand button and cycle backwards through whatever pages I've viewed, eventually it backs me out of the browser session. At that point, everything is back to normal. If I launch the browser with the regular browser icon, my home page is intact, I can get to bookmarks and the 'go to' screen, and all is right with the world. If I just close a browser session that was launched with a launcher icon, all bets are off, and the Facebook download remains my homepage. I wonder if the authors are somehow adapting code specific to the Facebook app when they create the launchers?

As stated previously, there is some comfort in hearing that others are experiencing this too. It seemed amazing to me that there weren't a bunch of other users fighting the same issue, and that somebody else didn't discover it way ahead of me. I'll see my son-in-law on Tuesday, and will check out his Curve, see how it behaves.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:42 AM   #25
Boomer143

So I played around around with this a bit more. I verified that by repeatedly hitting the "back" button (next to trackball), I can back out of the problem fine once it has occurred. Rajones19 thanks for the tip, you have this problem with all your desktop shortcuts? The only one I had installed was ESPN, which faithfully creates the problem each time I use it. After reading this thread I downloaded both WSJ and NY Times, but both of those work fine. I then deleted and reinstalled ESPN (which had a new icon different from the old one), but it created the same problem.

From my perspective, something in ESPN shortcut seems to be my problem. I'll try downloading a few others over the next few days and see if I can replicate the problem with other shortcuts.

I use the facebook application periodically (which I guess I should note is an actual application rather than a shortcut to the website). During my frustration I deleted it and rebooted. The icon on the desktop turned into the browser/email globe icon briefly. Mysteriously, within a couple of minutes it turned back into the Facebook icon without me installing anything.

At least for now, as long as don't use the ESPN shortcut, the world is right side up and I can function. Right now I'm as curious as anything else to know why this problem happens.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #26
rajones19
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just went through all my shortcuts one by one and test their behavior (or misbehavior, as the case may be). I identified four which work fine: New York Times, The Weather Channel, and in a nod the brains behind BBForums - both the BBForums WAP and BBFaq launchers work perfectly. All nine of the others do not work properly, and I won't bother to list them here. Later this morning I'll see if I can dig around and determine the author/publisher. Maybe there is a common thread, beyond the annoying problem.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #27
rajones19
Thumbs Must Hurt

Checking the properties of the various launchers in Options | Advanced | Applications, some of them only list the name of the site as the publisher - i.e., CNN just says 'CNN'. Four of the offenders - Detroit News, Detroit Free Press, National Public Radio, and USA Today - list Crisp Wireless Inc. as the publisher. I'm on the Crisp Wireless site right now trying to find out if there is a channel somewhere to report this and point them back to this thread.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #28
Ophidian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Have you tried clearing your cache, cookies, and pushed contact?

It worked for me
Old 12-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #29
rajones19
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK ... sent a note off to both sales and support at Crisp Wireless, we'll see what happens. They list a LOT of organizations they do work for - I may download a few more of their apps, see if the problem is consistent. I'd bet it is.

I went and downloaded the Wall Street Journal launcher, and the #%*$($ won't work at all. This is a first - the others at least work, within limitations. I'm getting 'Uncaught exception: net.rim.device.api.system.ControlledAccessExceptio n'. This is a new one to me. Tried the battery-pull, but no luck. Sheesh.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #30
rajones19
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ophidian - Have cleared cache, cookies, pushed content. Heck, I've cleared the entire operating system numerous times. Problem returns immediately upon use of one of the offending launchers.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #31
terptime
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650

An update. So i called Verizon Wirless technical support and the lady was actually very helpful. I am pleased to say I am back up running normally, less one application that is. Here is my fix. First of all make sure you have the BlackBerry Software version 4.5 installed. (I have had this installed since day 1). She then istructed me to delete all Facebook service books. (I only had one.) Then I was instructed to delete the Facebook App itself. After a reboot she told me to download the Facebook App again. Keep in mind all this time I still had the ESPN launcher installed. After downloading FBook the first thing I realized is that I no longer had a Facebook Service book. It appears that Software Version 4.5 does not require a service book for this app, so if you have 4.5 already installed the lady said that could be the reason for the problem. She said 4.5 may not recognize the service book because it doesn't need it and thus the forced repeat download. Now originally I thought this was the problem, until I noticed something else. I tried to use my ESPN launcher and it no longer would load to the web page. Also, with the ESPN launcher still installed my home page would change randomly. One visit to the browser it would the BIS homepage, the next it would be the default VZW AppZone or whatever. Being that I couldn't even get the launcher to load properly I deleted it. Since deleting the ESPN launcher I have had zero problems. May home page is the same every time I go to the browser and I have never been asked to download Facebook again. Bottom line, whether or not it has to do with the FBook service book or the ESPN launcher I am glad to be running smoothly. Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #32
rajones19
Thumbs Must Hurt

I believe it has to do with the FaceBook service book. I have been through this already, deleting the Facebook app and the associated service book, and until I resend the service books my browser doesn't work at all. I don't think she's completely correct about 4.5 not needing the Facebook service book. After I delete it, all is haywire. My browser homepage becomes the BIS page, and that won't go away until I resend service books. As soon as I do that, the Facebook service book comes back. It's a moderate form of several Catch 22's all interacting with each other, it seems.

Last edited by rajones19; 12-20-2008 at 06:29 PM..
Old 12-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #33
greenland

Model: 8220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
Mine just started doing this as well....

8820 on T-Mobile

I went into browser options and it keeps defaulting to T-Zones as the browser type

Well, I deleted my history, cache, pushed content and cookies and it seems to have worked.

fingers are crossed!
ophidian , is it t-moblie or the phone. i was streaming utube dor a few days , now it won't do it . bad connection or what ? a screen pops up " web address can't be found , please verify " i don't get get
Old 12-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #34
Ophidian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post
ophidian , is it t-moblie or the phone. i was streaming utube dor a few days , now it won't do it . bad connection or what ? a screen pops up " web address can't be found , please verify " i don't get get
Well, I think its the Service Book issue like rajones said.

Your problem sounds like you need a battery pull. Just because that fixes just about everything
Old 12-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #35
greenland

Model: 8220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
Well, I think its the Service Book issue like rajones said.

Your problem sounds like you need a battery pull. Just because that fixes just about everything
thx , i'll try it
Old 12-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #36
rajones19
Thumbs Must Hurt

For what it's worth - I just received e-mail from the folks at Crisp Wireless, Inc., thanking me for bringing the issue to their attention. They have opened a ticket with their development team. Will be interesting to see what happens next.
Closed Thread