BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
bluejae
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: z10
Carrier: t-mobile
Default bug while deleting several emails at once (all messages seem to disappear)

Please Login to Remove!

i've had this problem for a while... i've upgraded to different OS versions and none of them have remedied this problem...

here's how it goes...

when i receive emails, some are alerts so i just look at them and leave them... or at times, i'll delete them as i go... doing this tends to rack up many emails for months on my device... or every now and then i would want to delete them...

so for example... if i'm getting emails from an email address "abc"... i would do a search from my message window and find all emails that were sent by "abc"...

this would then give me every email from "abc"... if i know that i don't need any of these emails on my device anymore, the quickest way to delete all of them would be to go to the top of the list of emails that have been found and select 'Delete Prior'... once i do this, it will tell me it's 'Deleting' and soon it'll show a blank page with 'No Messages'...

now, this window i'm on is still the search window and the reason it's showing no messages is because i've deleted all the emails from "abc"... from here, if i press the 'back' button, it should take me to my main messages folder.. but instead it shows me nothing... it still says "no messages"...

so it almost seems like every email i had on my device has been deleted but that's not the case... i can still receive notifications that a new email has arrived but i can't view it... i learned today i can see some of the emails if i click on "view folders" and open up the inbox for one of my email accounts...

i also have my SMS and MMS in a different icon on my main screen... but all those are gone too... i can't see them... but i can receive a text message, hear the notification ring, but the notification icon isn't there, and nothing is visible in the sms messages folder until i do a battery pull.

the only solution i've found to bring them all back is a battery pull... once the device is rebooted... all my messages are once again viewable... and things are back to normal

but this problem seems to be isolated to only when i delete several items at once... i could have months and months of emails from "abc"... i could highlight about 2-3 weeks worth of emails and delete them, and everything will be fine...

i would hit 'b' to get to the bottom of the search query and then scroll up a few weeks and select 'Delete Prior' instead of highlighting, and it will delete every email from that point down from the list... and again, without a single problem... afterward i can push 'back' and view all my emails in my messages folder... it only happens when it's a large bulk of messages i delete at once, whether it's from one sender or several mixed messages from wherever... i don't know the exact number of messages that need to be deleted that triggers this bug/glitch...

so to avoid having to do a battery pull and wait 10 minutes or so... i just delete a handful of messages at a time... but if i happen to select too many, then i would have to do a battery pull...
Old 11-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: bug while deleting several emails at once (all messages seem to disappear)

I do the same thing as you but I haven't seen this. The only difference I can imagine is that I have my messages options set to only keep messages for thirty days. Do you perhaps have yours set to forever? Or maybe you have a tremendous number of messages and a huge inbox? If so then maybe you've discovered a hiccup with the device in that regard.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 11-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
bluejae
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Re: bug while deleting several emails at once (all messages seem to disappear)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I do the same thing as you but I haven't seen this. The only difference I can imagine is that I have my messages options set to only keep messages for thirty days. Do you perhaps have yours set to forever? Or maybe you have a tremendous number of messages and a huge inbox? If so then maybe you've discovered a hiccup with the device in that regard.
mine is set to forever... but i periodically "clean" it myself... i probably do have a large amount of emails, but i still find it weird that deleting a bulk of them at once would cause this issue...

to be honest, i don't even think i'm deleting 100 emails at once to make this happen... maybe i'll count them to see how many it takes
Old 11-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I'm postulating that it is the amount remaining that is causing the glitch, not the amount you are deleting. But as I say it is just a wild guess.

Instead of doing a battery pull, open the menu from the messages screen and select close. Then open messages again and see if the screen is still empty, or if your messages are displayed.

The only other thing I can think of is do a backup, use desktop manager to clear the messages database, then restore the messages. Maybe there is some corruption that is causing the glitch. Of course restoring the messages could restore the corruption, or maybe not. Just more guessing.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
bluejae
Thumbs Must Hurt

i checked to see how many messages i have on my phone through the desktop manager

Messages (these are probably emails) - 1615
MMS - 79
SMS - 14929
Old 11-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

So what happens if you close the messages folder using close from the menu, then reopen when you see the blank screen?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
bluejae
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
So what happens if you close the messages folder using close from the menu, then reopen when you see the blank screen?
ok... i'm going to test it out... so i'm going to type out what i'm doing

i did a search by sender... it brought up about a months worth of emails from the beginning of november...

i selected Delete Prior and it said Deleting... after a few seconds.. that window disappeared and now i'm still looking at all the messages... i can scroll up and down... i can even select them and look at them...

now i selected the menu and selected 'close'... now i'm looking at a blank screen that says 'no messages'

i selected menu and then 'close' again and now i'm at my home screen.

i then selected the messages icon and i'm looking at the blank screen with 'no messages' at the top

i went back to home and selected the sms and mms icon and it's blank there as well...

i can only see it if i click on menu, and select view folders and then select one i want to see... for example SMS conversations, and that will bring it up... but once i click 'back'... i'm at the blank screen again...

now i'm off to do a battery pull so i can see my messages

Last edited by bluejae; 11-30-2010 at 11:25 AM..
Old 11-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Interesting. I expected closing messages and re-opening would be a work around.

I guess I'd call it a bug. Seems the device can't deal adequately with processing changes to the large messages database. At least I'm guessing the large number of messages you have stored is a factor.

I can't see your profile....Are you using the latest OS version? An upgrade might be worth a try if you aren't using the latest. Or else try not keeping your messages for so long and see what happens.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
bluejae
Thumbs Must Hurt

i'm using 5.0.0.680
platform 5.1.0.160

but this has happened in previous versions... i usually wait for the east asia os version to come out before upgrading.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Well, if you ever figure it out or find a better answer, post an update.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
bluejae
Thumbs Must Hurt

sure thing...

is there a way i can report a bug to rim?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Probably. I'd check at blackberry.com.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
ajsender

Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Have you been able to solve this? I've been having this same issue for a long time and would love to know if you've figured out a solution.

Thanks,
AJ

Last edited by ajsender; 05-12-2011 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: typo
Closed Thread