Old 02-19-2009, 09:48 PM   #21
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Test mentions veterans and then blames it on lunk for bringing it up....I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
...because of the blood that was shed by our soldiers as they stormed Normandy, fought the battle of the bulge, ect....
Is Lunk not referring to veterans?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #22
turn_key
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330m
PIN: G PAL4 Putter
Carrier: Sprint

The thing that bothers me most about the comment is that he makes it sound like we are no better off than we were in the 1950s. Race has become a non-issue in every way and the race baiters refuse to go away. If there are no victims, then these people would have no power. They speak of hidden agendas and blame race for every ill whether or not it exists.

When I was in college I had an ethics class that touched on racism and the teacher made it sound like the Jim Crow days were alive and well. She couldn't see the difference between one racist person who might turn down a black job applicant and institutionalized racism. I argued the point that there are no oppressive laws keeping anyone of color from doing anything, just ignorant people who refuse to see beyond color, both black and white. I was chastised of course, but we are better off than we were before the civil rights movement.

If you never let the subject die then it never really goes away.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #23
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

I agree with that in some respects turn_key but I do not believe as you say "Race has become a non-issue" - to me thats not really true. It is not usually the laws that treat people differently its the people interpreting the laws.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:37 AM   #24
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Is Lunk not referring to veterans?
Not till after Test does in post 6
Old 02-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #25
turn_key
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330m
PIN: G PAL4 Putter
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
I agree with that in some respects turn_key but I do not believe as you say "Race has become a non-issue" - to me thats not really true. It is not usually the laws that treat people differently its the people interpreting the laws.
I don't think it's about laws really, or lack there of, it's that there are still bigoted people. The civil rights movement and laws can't change that nor white guilt. Maybe I should have said race is a non-legal issue, but there still are racist people. Holder's statement is one of those typical liberal philosophies that is fueled by white guilt and assume racism is a result of ignorance to other cultures... which brings up them forcing multiculturalism, but that's another subject. We are not a nation of cowards, we are a nation that has cowards among us. Either way it was a horrible thing to say about the country, but that's what liberals are good at: poo-pooing all over America because we should all feel guilty for our successes and Europeans hate us.

Something I've always found hypocritical is liberals assume minorities need assistance, as if minorities are not capable of the same successes as other races. Take the Japanese for example. They were all imprisoned during the war and are the subject of many jokes and stereotypes, yet are some of the most successful people in America.

Ignorance (as in the lack of knowledge of cultural aspects of one's race) isn't at the heart of racism, it's the fact that race baiters claim racism is a rampant problem that prevents all minorities from succeeding in life and perpetuating the problem. I work in a position that exposes me to predominantly low income blacks, and I can't tell you how many times I've heard that whitey is the source of all their problems and they can't wait until Obama gets in office because he'll make us all pay. I also went to a high school in the worst part of Chicago and I even heard it back then.

Racism is a problem, but not in the way liberal politicians think; it's a personal problem, not the American culture's problem. If anyone is ignorant, it's the politicians that assume whites are the only people with issues and enact laws that have only proven to widen the race gap.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #26
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am going to go out on a limb and say it's doubtful we will be seeing this guy go off again like this anytime soon. Anyone else think they pulled him aside and said keep your opinions to yourself?
Closed Thread