BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #21
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Please Login to Remove!

thats fine mriff but thats far from saying that they are safe for everyone.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #22
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Can you, in any endeavor that involves humans, guarantee 100% safety for everyone? I think not -- it is the nature of differences between individuals that some side-effects, etc., are almost guaranteed in miniscule sub-groups of the population. If you set 100% as the standard then nothing would ever be permitted. Six sigma---that's another story.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #23
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
thats fine mriff but thats far from saying that they are safe for everyone.
As a society, we certainly have the option of turning the clock back 100 years. Before vaccines were discovered. I don't think anyone wants to do that. I think you would agree that vaccines are safe for the vast majority of people vaccinated. It's all about risk/benefit. I'll take the risk and have for my three children.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #24
test54
BlackBerry Master

I am in no way saying that vaccines are a bad thing. They are the natural progression in fighting disease. However, its naive to think that people do not get hurt by them as well.

HRSA - National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program

To say that a vaccine is safe is a relative term because even if that % is miniscule, it is still adversely affecting some lives. I simply think that perhaps its time that the vaccines need disclosure like the drugs companies are subjected to in their ads for prescription drugs.

and no matter the vaccine's affect, today is World Autism Awareness Day.
http://www.autismspeaks.org/sponsore...reness_day.php

Last edited by test54; 04-02-2009 at 12:11 PM..
Old 04-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #25
test54
BlackBerry Master

Autism might be reversible?

New Theory Of Autism Suggests Symptoms Or Disorder May Be Reversible
Old 04-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #26
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
To say that a vaccine is safe is a relative term because even if that % is miniscule, it is still adversely affecting some lives. I simply think that perhaps its time that the vaccines need disclosure like the drugs companies are subjected to in their ads for prescription drugs.
Test, this is precisely what happens now. When my kids get any vaccination, we are handed a pamphlet notifying us of the risks. Inherent risks are outlined very specifically. It is somewhat scary to read. And yes, you are absolutely correct, there are risks. Just like any other regular medicine. But again, it gets back down to risk/benefit. Things like tetanus and whooping cough can be completely prevented. Illnesses like polio and small pox can even be eradicated. From the entire world. That's pretty incredible, at least to me.

Last edited by mriff; 04-02-2009 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Can't spell worth a damn
Old 04-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #27
test54
BlackBerry Master

I'm not arguing that they are not a great way to prevent disease, just that the risks need to be known. To hand a pamphlet at the time of vaccination is a little late in the process to me. There's a fine line between scaring people and educating them, but I feel things are a little too conservative currently in the vaccine world compared to the prescription drug market.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #28
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
I'm not arguing that they are not a great way to prevent disease, just that the risks need to be known. To hand a pamphlet at the time of vaccination is a little late in the process to me. There's a fine line between scaring people and educating them, but I feel things are a little too conservative currently in the vaccine world compared to the prescription drug market.
I'm not sure if you have kids or not test, but to me, the risks for vaccination is made known to those being vaccinated pretty much exactly the same way drug interactions and risks are made known. Both are pamphlets that are provided upon receipt. Our pediatrician provides the pamphlet to us before the shots are given and he goes out of his way to make sure we're ok with it before the shot is given. Not sure if that is how it goes with other doctors though.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #29
test54
BlackBerry Master

no kids but have been to several flu vaccine clinics and have yet to see or hear of any info being handed out or explained to the people being vaccinated.

I think your making more of my statements than I intended, I have no issue at all with vaccines or their use. I merely think that people need more info even before they are at the doctor's office.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #30
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
no kids but have been to several flu vaccine clinics and have yet to see or hear of any info being handed out or explained to the people being vaccinated.

I think your making more of my statements than I intended, I have no issue at all with vaccines or their use. I merely think that people need more info even before they are at the doctor's office.
Ok test, I'm with ya. And it surprises me that you don't get anything handed to you when you get a flu vaccine. I get the pamphlet every time and it clearly lays out the risks of the shot and exactly what's in it. Maybe it's a Florida thing.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #31
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
I'm not sure if you have kids or not test, but to me, the risks for vaccination is made known to those being vaccinated pretty much exactly the same way drug interactions and risks are made known. Both are pamphlets that are provided upon receipt. Our pediatrician provides the pamphlet to us before the shots are given and he goes out of his way to make sure we're ok with it before the shot is given. Not sure if that is how it goes with other doctors though.
Weve never had one vaccination explained. The doctor comes out says you need this shot and say do you want it. I think thats why I hate kaiser insurance so bad.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #32
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Weve never had one vaccination explained. The doctor comes out says you need this shot and say do you want it. I think thats why I hate kaiser insurance so bad.
Man Dawg, that's awful. You should demand some sort of pamphlet before these procedures. They should be able to provide them. We always get the risks explained up front without asking for them. Not that it would change what we do, but it's at least nice to hear. Maybe as I've mentioned, it's a Florida thing. Or maybe it's a malpractice avoidance thing.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #33
dmead
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!
Carrier: Sprint

they have kaiser's in georgia now?

I'm sorry!!
Old 04-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #34
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

There are entire businesses built around creating the materials for people to have when they are getting vaccines, or any form of medical procedure. Might it be malpractice avoidance? In part yes, but also because it is pretty clear from the data that a patient who "gets with the program" is much more likely to be successfully treated.

Dawg, ask them for the information up-front.
Closed Thread