BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: What should happen to the Ban on Gays in the Military?
Keep it in place 6 18.75%
Get rid of it now 20 62.50%
Wait till next year 0 0%
Beer 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:32 AM   #61
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
Dawg that might have been true during the Cold War but the UN would carry on even without us. It maybe smaller but the world does not do as we say like they used to.
the un is comprised 75% of the us forces etc, if no us, their would not be a un.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #62
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

The UN is far more than a military organization.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #63
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

The UN needs to get out of the US and that I agree with.... Send then to Europe, or somewhere else....

Their sole purpose should be humanitarian in nature. The UN has no business in military conflict and they carry a very small stick....

Kris
Old 03-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #64
test54
BlackBerry Master

The majority of what the UN does is humanitarian, its been this way all along. Its in America mainly because we wanted control of it, same as the World Bank.

The idea of the UN for diplomacy is a good one, same as NATO or any other group that can do more to preserve peace than if no group existed. - my opinion.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #65
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

While on the subject, NATO has become quite the joke as well... It's needs to be realigned... France ect balked at us when we asked them for military help... I bet if they got invaded they'd want our help then....

NATO should be a band of nations that assist and defend when asked by other nations within the pact. If you don't like it, then get out...

Kris
Old 03-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #66
test54
BlackBerry Master

NATO like many things is not under US control, we cannot simply run it however we want because the US does not run it. That arrogance is why France and others have to look twice at the wishes of the US. The trust we had from these countries has eroded over time.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #67
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

They would not even be free if not for the blood of Americans... It's arrogance like that, that ticks me off and says boot em out! When they come crawling to us begging for help, we can laugh and say you now belong to the USSR (or whomever invades them)...

Kris
Old 03-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #68
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

The best example of French bravery took place in WW2..... The French laid their arms down to the Germans and their brave defense of their nation lasted 3 days...

Yes you read that right.... France fell in 3 days!!

Pathetic!!!!

How much American blood was shed for these cowards??? A ton!

Last edited by LunkHead; 03-21-2009 at 09:42 PM..
Old 03-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #69
test54
BlackBerry Master

NATO has 26 countries but you want them kicked out with just the US saying so? we have already been through the France bashing in this section haven't we? DO you want some freedom fries Lunk?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:56 PM   #70
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Ever hear of D day or Normandy? Neither have the French... Perhaps a little more respect for the thousands of Americans who lost their life on the beaches should be in order here...

Kris
Old 03-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #71
kevinnguyen

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DacyJ View Post
Wirelessly posted (supercalifragilisticexpialidoc)

Very well said!
QTW
Old 03-21-2009, 11:32 PM   #72
adorkable
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask.
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Marriage is between a man and a woman. I have no issue with civil unions. But marriage should remain sacred. I know I will get flamed highly for this but that is my opinion.
That's a religious view point. Due to separation of church and state, you can't pass laws based on one group's religious beliefs that will affect people not a part of that group, even if said group is the majority.

It's the English definition you say? The English language is constantly evolving. Just look at the word 'gay' for instance. It shouldn't matter what you call it.

Last edited by adorkable; 03-21-2009 at 11:44 PM..
Old 03-21-2009, 11:35 PM   #73
adorkable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Wow, simply wow. Why should someone be bashed for who they are? If the shoe was on the other foot, should straight people remain private so they don't get bashed? I agree with Troy, labeling = .

I disagree on the marriage statement as well. I think if you love someone, regardless of what sex they are, you should be able to marry that person. Marriage is sacred as you say, right? Aren't the vows along the lines of "for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part." Well, if it's so sacred and you vow that to each other, then why is the divorce rate through the roof? The divorce rate being the way it is right now doesn't make marriage look so sacred in my eyes.

If you want to ban gay marriage because it ruins the sacredness of marriage, then you should ban divorce as well.

Quoted for emphasis.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:50 PM   #74
adorkable

Back on topic...

My husband is in the Navy, and sadly people frequently try to abuse the don't ask/don't tell policy to get out of the Navy. Some lie, and some really are gay. Nothing is done. On the other end, there are people who may or may not be gay, but some co-workers suspect they are and rag on them for it. No one gets in trouble for asking.

The policy was more of a compromise between a full ban on gays in the military and fully allowing them in. Back then, that may have been the best solution, but it's pretty obvious now that it's no longer needed. Unfortunately gay culture is still widely misunderstood (as evident in this thread), but that's largely due to policies like don't ask/don't tell. People in the military should be allowed to be open about their sexual preference, and if anyone gives them trouble for it, those behaviors will most likely fall under the current sexual harassment policies.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #75
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorkable View Post
Back on topic...

My husband is in the Navy, and sadly people frequently try to abuse the don't ask/don't tell policy to get out of the Navy. Some lie, and some really are gay. Nothing is done. On the other end, there are people who may or may not be gay, but some co-workers suspect they are and rag on them for it. No one gets in trouble for asking.

The policy was more of a compromise between a full ban on gays in the military and fully allowing them in. Back then, that may have been the best solution, but it's pretty obvious now that it's no longer needed. Unfortunately gay culture is still widely misunderstood (as evident in this thread), but that's largely due to policies like don't ask/don't tell. People in the military should be allowed to be open about their sexual preference, and if anyone gives them trouble for it, those behaviors will most likely fall under the current sexual harassment policies.
People are going to be people no matter what policys you put in place. Either the offended person sees it or its done behind their back. Same as with obeses, short, too tall, and different shaped people. People are cruel especially children. Ive watched children that have great parents and familys just be mean, and for no reason at all other than just being mean.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #76
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Joke:

Q: Why do they have Marines on Navy ships?

A: So the Sailors have someone to dance with
Old 03-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #77
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Joke:

Q: Why do they have Marines on Navy ships?

A: So the Sailors have someone to dance with
LMAO thats great Lunk.
Closed Thread