BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
ksperle

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default BPS - Install problem: Start over or fix?

Please Login to Remove!

Looks like I blew it on the install of BPS 4.1. I did it as administrator instead of the besadmin account. I guess I missed that whole STEP 1 part!

Everything seemed to install fine (including SQL Express). I can start the messenger, I was able to add a user (myself). When it didn't work I deleted myself, and now I get the license exceeded message when I try to add myself back.

Doing some searching it looks like the admin install likely caused some problems. I changed the blackberry services to Log On as besadmin, but are there registry entries that need to be imported into my besadmin account as well?

I saw mention of registry entries in another thread, but no specifics. I tried to link it, but apparently can't post links until my post count reaches 10.

My MAPI profile appears to be setup properly if I click on "Edit MAPI Profile" through Start --> Programs. Although if I go through BS Manager and click on it, it give me an error message of "The MAPI subsystem cannot correctly be initialized and used".

Event Viewer is showing numerous warnings and errors. A couple examples:

50093 - Local computer may not have the necessary registry info
10277 - BB Messaging Agent Agent 1 failed to start Error 5302
etc....

I guess the first question is, should I just uninstall/re-install? Or should I fight through the errors and fix it. I'd rather not do a re-install if I don't have to. Hoping it's just some permission/registry fixes.

I'll start searching the specific errors/warning, but thought I'd get a little advice first.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

This should help.

How to switch BlackBerry Enterprise Server service accounts
View Document 0 160640926
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
ksperle

Thanks. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I think I have everything taken care of except for Task 10 (quoted below).

I don't know how to get into the SQL Enterprise Manager/Managent Studio. I installed simply SQL during the BPS install.

If I click on Start--> Programs--> Microsoft SQL 2005--> Configuration Tools I have three options only:

SQL Server Configuration Manager
SQL Server Error and Usage Reporting
SQL Server Surface Area Configuration

None of those appear to be what the instructions are referring to!

I also looked in Control Panel, Administrative Tools and even in the Program Files directory.

By following the instructions, I got rid of the 50093 event ID regarding the registry. Everything seems to work now, meaning I am showing 0 users again. If you know anything about Task 10, I'd appreciate it, otherwise I'll just start searching and read up on adding myself as a user and seeing if I can actually get the device working. Event viewer is more happy (not kicking out numerous errors).

Actually I am getting a Warning Event ID 45058 that states that DBNS component not installed. (EDIT: Looks like I can probably ignore this after further searching).

THANKS!

---------------------------------------------

If you have a Microsoft SQL Server 2005, assign the Server roles by completing the following steps:

1. In the SQL Enterprise Manager/Management Studio, go to Microsoft SQL Servers/SQL Server Group/<SQL_server_name>.
2. Expand the Microsoft SQL Server and expand security.
3. Right-click Logins and click New Login.
4. On the General tab, click the button next to the Name field.
5. Select the new service account name from the Names list, click Add, and click OK.
6. From the Server Roles tab, select Server Administrators and Database Creators from the Server Role list.

Note: If you are running BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1, add the System Administrators role to add BlackBerry smartphone users in a role-based administration environment. For instructions, see the BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange: System Administration Guide.
7. On the User Mapping tab, select the check box for the BlackBerry Configuration Database (for example, BESMgmt).
8. In the Database Roles for <BlackBerry_Configuration_Database_name> list, select the public and db_owner check box and click OK.

Last edited by ksperle; 09-03-2009 at 04:37 PM..
Old 09-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
ksperle

IT'S ALIVE!

Thanks for the help! I successfully activated my phone and sent/received email. Now to actually learn the new phone. After the last few years on Windows Mobile PDA's there's gonna be a little learning curve I'm sure!
Old 09-04-2009, 03:21 AM   #5
DavidAdams
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: NotYe
Carrier: O2

You don't say which version of SQL Express you have but if it's 2005 here's the Management Studio, Microsoft download
Old 09-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
ksperle

Yes, 2005. Thanks!
Closed Thread