Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 02:05 PM   #21
coallaw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: tmobile
Default ATT 3g - Flaky Here

Please Login to Remove!

OK - Had TMobile. Wanted 3G so got an Iphone. Yep - it has 3G, but 3G absolutes sucks the power right out of it. AND, just as bad, ATT 3G is not as "solid" as TMO Edge. 3G works and then standing in same place bars drop, phone goes out - then a few minutes later snaps back at 3 or 4 bars. Then a few minutes later drops out. Happens all over town. I think ATT needs to do a lot more work on their 3G network before it is ready for the big show.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:09 PM   #22
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHermit View Post
Would Tmobile not having 3g / 3g blackberry be a reason to break the contract and not pay the fees?
Can't believe no one replied to this earlier, but no.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #23
AgDon

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm not on contract anymore, but if I were a power user I think it may be reason to break your contract and leave.
As it is now not being on contract I looked at leaving anyway for a Storm, Bold or iPhone, but I'm not a power user even though a Storm type device is what I'm looking for. In the end though I'll probably just stay with TMO and get the 8900. No 3G but reviews seam say it's close in speed and edge is more reliable. I dearly wanted a touch screen but can't justify the increase in costs.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #24
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Well, now I'm not certain if I read that post right when I replied. If the poster was referring to getting out of their contract without paying an ETF, then no. But if he/she was questioning whether to move to a different carrier, that's a choice up to them.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:23 AM   #25
pda luvr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmo

I got a Tmo 8900 2 weeks ago and hated how slow it browsed over EDGE, then I installed Opera which was more tolerable but still a pain.
I "borrowed" a G1 to play with Tmo's 3G and I'm pretty impressed with the speed of browsing compared to the BB!
Now I'm considering returning the 8900 cause the 3G is pretty good on G1.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #26
bigdaadio
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
PIN: chin pennies
Carrier: sprint

[QUOTE=pda luvr;1287022]I got a Tmo 8900 2 weeks ago and hated how slow it browsed over EDGE, then I installed Opera which was more tolerable but still a pain.
QUOTE]
I came to this thread to learn if TMO had "thrown their hat" into the BB 3G ring. I see the answer is a simple NO.edge doesn't hold a candle to 3g whether it be ATT 3g or VZW and sprints EVDO. I have a sprint,SEP curve and at 99 per month, "all you can eat" EVERYTHING, guess I'll be waiting some time for something better.money and speed wise to come along. Guess I'll have to ride out this contract...
Old 02-22-2009, 03:26 AM   #27
deanesn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

T-Mobile will have 3G blackberry this year according to my rep here in Chicago. I trust her since she was right about the new pearl and curve back few years ago. Also about the 3G roll out. One thing is for sure that there wont be a 3G bb within the next 6 months. So if you want the new curve just get it with 1 year contract and wait till the unknow 3G berry comes to TM. She also re-assured me that Bold will NOT I repeat will NOT be on TM. Either a new berry is coming out which i highly doubt since we have not seen any leaks or the storm is coming which I also highly doubt so most likely the curve will get 3G flavor so is AT&T.

Last edited by deanesn; 02-22-2009 at 03:28 AM..
Old 03-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #28
ericthebikeman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaadio View Post
I came to this thread to learn if TMO had "thrown their hat" into the BB 3G ring. I see the answer is a simple NO.edge doesn't hold a candle to 3g whether it be ATT 3g or VZW and sprints EVDO. I have a sprint,SEP curve and at 99 per month, "all you can eat" EVERYTHING, guess I'll be waiting some time for something better.money and speed wise to come along. Guess I'll have to ride out this contract...
I'm a little disappointed about 3G but I'm guessing most people will only need 3G for teathering. My observations are that the browser on the 8xxx series seems to suck even on WiFi. Suck meaning painful scrolling (yes even on 4.5) and butchered layouts. iPhone is marginally better but Safari crashes constantly, especially when listening to music. Lets face it there is only so much you can do on a small screen, and not every site will go through the hassle of setting up a mobile version that doesn't drop +90% of the content.
T-Mo still has a better rate plan for me. $90 gives me all I can eat everything, on egde but it still works.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #29
fiffer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

You have a great point eric. It's really difficult to have a pleasant experience with a small screen and undeniable slow speeds from either 3G or Wifi. All you get is a portable way of using the net that could fit conveniently in the palm of your hands.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #30
DHermit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Any new news on this topic? Seems ridiculous that Tmobile STILL doesn't have a 3G blackberry :(
Old 06-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #31
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

They hardly have 3g, it's gonna be awhile before they get their own 3g Bb. Not this year I can tell you that much. I bet their first 3g phone won't be a Blackberry, because 3g Bbs aren't really any faster than EDGE at web downloads. Other phones are faster on 3g.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 06-09-2009 at 03:16 PM..
Old 06-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #32
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
They hardly have 3g, it's gonna be awhile before they get their own 3g Bb. Not this year I can tell you that much. I bet their first 3g phone won't be a Blackberry, because 3g Bbs aren't really any faster than EDGE at web downloads. Other phones are faster on 3g.
T-Mobile has about 10 3G handsets on sale already. Please check your facts.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #33
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHermit View Post
Any new news on this topic? Seems ridiculous that Tmobile STILL doesn't have a 3G blackberry :(
my opinion is that the TMO 3G infrastructure is not mature enough to warrant a new 3g BB device. . .

However, they have the G1, Samsung Behold & Memoir and released a new SideKick LX for the speed junkies . . . TMO also compensates their lack of 3G with wi-fi ..
Old 06-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #34
cakvalasc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330m
PIN: 307B4E7D
Carrier: Sprint

I had a T-mobile Edge Blackberry then I had a Sprint 3g Blackberry.. HUGE HUGE HUGE difference on download speeds.. just wow.
T-mobile 8800 > Sprint 8330m > Sprint 9630
Old 06-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #35
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
T-Mobile has about 10 3G handsets on sale already. Please check your facts.
I was right. Tmob didn't release a BB as their first 3g handset. I just didn't realize they already had 3g units for sale. Thanks. For some reason 3g networks make other brands of phones a lot faster (compared to 2g/EDGE) than they make Blackberry phones. Somebody cited a reason for that but I forget what it was.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #36
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
I was right. Tmob didn't release a BB as their first 3g handset.
I wasn't disputing that.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:12 AM   #37
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Cool

One word: ONYX.

3G BlackBerry FOR T-MOBILE USA!!!

Rumored to hit stores in SEPTEMBER, and this is NOT the EDGE only 8500 that now has its own forum. The Onyx will most likely be given a 9XXX designation like the Bold and other GSM 3G BlackBerries.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 06-12-2009 at 03:13 AM..
Old 06-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #38
DHermit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
One word: ONYX.

3G BlackBerry FOR T-MOBILE USA!!!

Rumored to hit stores in SEPTEMBER, and this is NOT the EDGE only 8500 that now has its own forum. The Onyx will most likely be given a 9XXX designation like the Bold and other GSM 3G BlackBerries.
Thanks for the hope! The reason this is important to me is that I need to add a new employee to my plan and nows the time to either stay with Tmobile (great pricing) or switch to someone like AT&T with more features.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:31 AM   #39
skeevecr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: vodafone

I would be surprised to see the onyx ship in september, for any device coming out after the summer as far as sales theres little point bringing them out a long way before the holiday season and you would think that an extra couple of months would have a noticeable benefit to the quality of the software, which is something they are bound to be aware of after some of the criticisms of bold and storm software on release when compared with earlier blackberry products.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #40
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeevecr View Post
I would be surprised to see the onyx ship in september, for any device coming out after the summer as far as sales theres little point bringing them out a long way before the holiday season and you would think that an extra couple of months would have a noticeable benefit to the quality of the software, which is something they are bound to be aware of after some of the criticisms of bold and storm software on release when compared with earlier blackberry products.
Well, like I said, moot point for me, anyway.... I'm not gonna be eligible for upgrade 'til January.

In the meantime, T-Mobile needs to get off their lazy bums and release an OS update for the 8900!

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Closed Thread