Old 11-05-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
evanskl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Question WIFI and the T-Mobile Unlimited Blackberry Plan

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, will someone help me out here…..I’ve searched and read, but I’m still not sure. My question is this: I have the T-Mobile $39.99 Blackberry Unlimited Plan and I use my Blackberry for email and internet only (no calling) but I live in an area with “iffy” reception. Would an 8320 on my home wireless network work with this Unlimited Plan?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by evanskl; 11-05-2007 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
anesone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Yes, you'll be able to set up a connection with your home wireless network to send/receive email and browse the web.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
beprahst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by anesone View Post
Yes, you'll be able to set up a connection with your home wireless network to send/receive email and browse the web.
Are you saying he wouldn't have to sign up for H@H? He'd get it as part of his unlimited plan?

That might be why my UMA works at home? I have unlimited Berry plan, but didn't sign up for H@H and UMA was working (I've had the 8320 for less than a month for maybe they haven't caught on?) last I checked.

Hmmm...something for nothing?? Go figure.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Helmdawg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: ned down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beprahst View Post
Are you saying he wouldn't have to sign up for H@H? He'd get it as part of his unlimited plan?

That might be why my UMA works at home? I have unlimited Berry plan, but didn't sign up for H@H and UMA was working (I've had the 8320 for less than a month for maybe they haven't caught on?) last I checked.

Hmmm...something for nothing?? Go figure.
You will get UMA regardless, the H@H feature gives you unlimited calling not the unlimted berry plan. Your minutes will be deducted as per your rate plan without the H@H..
Old 11-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
beprahst
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Ah, gotcha. I never use all my minutes anyhow, so that's fine. More concerned about reception at home. I would also imagine you won't get the TMO hotspot access either without H@H, but would be able to use free public hotspots. But I've found I can't get UMA in all free wifi spots since it requires (apperantly from other threads) certain backend ports opened or protocols or something. For example I was on a hotel wifi recently and I got data but no UMA.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
anesone
Thumbs Must Hurt

If you are in the situation of evanskl though (no voice plan), I would imagine that if you are making calls over UMA, they will most likely be charging you the standard per-minute rates.

Like Helmdawg said, if you have a voice plan, and no H@H, then it will just eat up your minutes, regardless of the wifi network to which you are connected.

Having no voice plan, you can still use wifi, like any other pda with wifi, to surf and email.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
anesone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by beprahst View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Ah, gotcha. I never use all my minutes anyhow, so that's fine. More concerned about reception at home. I would also imagine you won't get the TMO hotspot access either without H@H, but would be able to use free public hotspots. But I've found I can't get UMA in all free wifi spots since it requires (apperantly from other threads) certain backend ports opened or protocols or something. For example I was on a hotel wifi recently and I got data but no UMA.
Before I added H@H, I could go to a Starbucks or TMO store and use their TMO hotspot to make UMA calls. I think at those locations, they are more concerned about folks with laptops connecting to the network.
Closed Thread